Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Astronomical telescopes

Astronomical telescopes 15 Aug 2016 14:14 #1

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
Toying with purchasing one. Currently reading up online on the 3 different types available. There are many factors to consider. If anyone has any hands on experience of these - please share.

Truth is anti-semitic
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: GMP, Gaia

Astronomical telescopes 15 Aug 2016 16:42 #2

• Gaia
  • Gold Member
I'm in your position Voltaire, so evenly interested. :thumbup:
The Only Limit is Your Own Imagination
A truth seeker is someone who dares to wade through thick series of toxic smoke screens and tries not to inhale - Gaia
"What do you call 'genius'?" "Well, seeing things others don't see. Or rather the invisible links between things."
- Vladimir Nabokov (1938)
"The silence of conspiracy. Slaughtered on the altar of apathy." - Lords of the New Church (1982)

Astronomical telescopes 15 Aug 2016 17:09 #3

• GMP
  • Silver Member
My opticron birding scope has given years of sturdy service and wasn't expensive compared to some scopes on the market.
Opticron make astronomical scopes and sell those under the Vixen label.
Whatever you plump for chances are it will be Chinese or far eastern manufacture,
Best to check out customer online reviews via one of the hobby sites prior to spending a lot of money.
You can get really good new kit at a fraction of the cost of the 'big name' scopes and it does the same job.
Here's the Vixen site...
www.vixenoptics.co.uk

Astronomical telescopes 15 Aug 2016 17:34 #4

• Lux Interior
  • Silver Member
  • Do you know de way?
I'd recommend one that has an option to attach a camera to. You'll easily get the right mount if it does such a thing. I would imagine most can offer this.
liberabo te ab inferno

875 020 079

He cried in a whisper at some image, at some vision—he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath: "'The horror!
User(s) who Liked this post: GMP

Astronomical telescopes 15 Aug 2016 19:14 #5

• ragnarok
  • Gold Member
So, a suitable starter telescope, an adequate recording device and a tripod... how much are we talking at the bottom entry-level end?

Astronomical telescopes 16 Aug 2016 22:04 #6

• GMP
  • Silver Member
ragnarok wrote:
So, a suitable starter telescope, an adequate recording device and a tripod... how much are we talking at the bottom entry-level end?

Change out of £400 for a GoTo astronomical scope.
GoTo is probably the best for an amateur IMO. Unless you really enjoy sitting outside on cold wet nights
You can drive it via your computer of tablet, it'll download images or video to your PC computer ( but possibly not your tablet).
You can also just look through it.
More here plus loads of info and prices for other scopes.
www.telescopeplanet.co.uk/telescopes/goto-telescopes
Birders use GoTo type scopes for remote viewing nesting sites without disturbing the birds.
Last Edit: 16 Aug 2016 22:07 by GMP.

Astronomical telescopes 17 Aug 2016 17:29 #7

• ragnarok
  • Gold Member
It's not the cheapest hobby out there, that's for sure. Say you wanted to go the whole hog and have a set up that could be operated remotely and watched on your pc screen, how much would that set you back at the least?

Astronomical telescopes 21 Aug 2016 14:57 #8

• GMP
  • Silver Member
ragnarok wrote:
It's not the cheapest hobby out there, that's for sure. Say you wanted to go the whole hog and have a set up that could be operated remotely and watched on your pc screen, how much would that set you back at the least?

That's what a GoTo scope does as well as letting you look through an eyepiece if you want, £360-ish plus postage and maybe £100 extra for a really good eyepiece.
The ones they come with aren't generally all that.
I just use my birding scope for moon and star gazing it does the job but no PC connectivity so I only go out on fine nights. And seldom in winter.
No street lights or lit up businesses round here hence no light pollution and great views when it's not cloudy.

Astronomical telescopes 21 Aug 2016 16:01 #9

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
Thanks GMP. How are these telescopes powered? Is there a battery that allows you to carry the scope to a dark place and still have a goto function?

I was looking at celestron-nexstar-130slt and celestron-nexstar-4se

Truth is anti-semitic

Astronomical telescopes 21 Aug 2016 16:47 #10

• GMP
  • Silver Member
Voltaire wrote:
Thanks GMP. How are these telescopes powered? Is there a battery that allows you to carry the scope to a dark place and still have a goto function?

I was looking at celestron-nexstar-130slt and celestron-nexstar-4se
Rechargeable battery mate, usually integral but some have ones that you have to take out and charge in a battery charger.
WiFi connection to your PC or tablet.
Basically it's the same tech as a wireless home video-security system but with super-duper lenses in the scope to see far-away stuff.
Last Edit: 21 Aug 2016 16:48 by GMP.

Astronomical telescopes 21 Aug 2016 17:11 #11

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
Thanks - i suppose for a very long session it would be best to have several spares with you.

Is light pollution a real issue?

Truth is anti-semitic

Astronomical telescopes 21 Aug 2016 19:57 #12

• Gaia
  • Gold Member
Voltaire wrote:
Thanks - i suppose for a very long session it would be best to have several spares with you.

I'd say it shouldn't be, because light pollution only affects the catchment of light with the naked eye. As the tube of the telescope is already focused, the light pollution doesn't affect the view through the telescope.

It would be a big issue for me if it is a problem; I live in an ocean of light.
A truth seeker is someone who dares to wade through thick series of toxic smoke screens and tries not to inhale - Gaia
"What do you call 'genius'?" "Well, seeing things others don't see. Or rather the invisible links between things."
"The silence of conspiracy. Slaughtered on the altar of apathy." - Lords of the New Church (1982)

Astronomical telescopes 22 Aug 2016 14:11 #13

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
Chatted with someone who has a telescope and he said that light pollution will definitely affect your viewing spatial objects. You need to be somewhere dark.

Truth is anti-semitic

Astronomical telescopes 22 Aug 2016 14:23 #14

• Gaia
  • Gold Member
Then I'd have to wipe out 6 million people and we all know to what kind of discussion that will lead for decades... :hahano:

Astronomical telescopes 22 Aug 2016 16:02 #15

• GMP
  • Silver Member
Voltaire wrote:

It makes a huge difference.
We used to live a few miles away from Leicester. We were in the countryside but the light pollution from the city was constant every night and affected views. It is surprising just how far light pollution 'spreads'.
Here in a tiny seaside hamlet without any street lights and 40-miles away from the nearest city plus 12-miles away from a not particularly big town we get dark skies so even with the naked eye the stars are amazing on a clear night.