Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 3D Printing Metal Parts and Components - An emerging technology that has a lot of manufacturers - and employees - nervous...

3D Printing Metal Parts and Components - An emerging technology that has a lot of manufacturers - and employees - nervous... 23 Jul 2017 04:39 #1

• novum
  • Platinum Member
A decade or two ago the technology in the videos below mightve been considered science fiction....

To summarize, there seems to be two distinct methods out there right now...

One method is powdered metal being hit with lasers to selectively melt it into useable components, a kind of 3D printing that results in solid steel components.

The second method being the use of metal wire (or powder) feeding into machines that melt and then shoot it onto targets utilizing laser technology, in order to build up shapes and form components in that way, again another form of 3D metal printing.

New method of manufacturing using powdered metal - Manufacturing with Selective Laser Metal Melting

DMG MORI underlines its position as a market leader, being the first company to offer a full range of Additive Manufacturing machines by adding the new LASERTEC 30 SLM powder bed machine, to join the existing hybrid deposition welding machines.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Last Edit: 23 Jul 2017 05:36 by novum.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

3D Printing Metal Parts and Components - An emerging technology that has a lot of manufacturers - and employees - nervous... 23 Jul 2017 04:44 #2

• novum
  • Platinum Member
This technology is progressing very quickly every day. While Computer numerical control (CNC) methods have been around for a while now ( See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_control ) , combining them with the latest in 3D priniting is no doubt going to change the steel/metal manufacturing and fabrication industry.

Hybrid machine (3D printer and 5 axis CNC milling-machine)

I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

3D Printing Metal Parts and Components - An emerging technology that has a lot of manufacturers - and employees - nervous... 23 Jul 2017 05:03 #3

• novum
  • Platinum Member
"Metal Powder is the key element when it comes to metal additive manufacturing. With the powder metallurgy process - in short PM - metal can be designed and further processed with 3D printing to produce parts and components that haven't even been thinkable before"

Metal Additive Manufacturing @ GKN - When future becomes reality

1365 = 1

3D Printing Metal Parts and Components - An emerging technology that has a lot of manufacturers - and employees - nervous... 23 Jul 2017 05:08 #4

• novum
  • Platinum Member
3D Metal Printing - Additive Manufacturing

1365 = 1

3D Printing Metal Parts and Components - An emerging technology that has a lot of manufacturers - and employees - nervous... 23 Jul 2017 05:20 #5

• novum
  • Platinum Member
James Anderton from Engineering.com interviews John Murray, President of Concept Laser Inc at IMTS 2016 about how metal 3D printing is impacting various industries and how metal machines handle applications.

1365 = 1

Last Edit: 23 Jul 2017 05:21 by novum.

3D Printing Metal Parts and Components - An emerging technology that has a lot of manufacturers - and employees - nervous... 23 Jul 2017 05:23 #6

• novum
  • Platinum Member
How Metal 3D Printing Works

1365 = 1

3D Printing Metal Parts and Components - An emerging technology that has a lot of manufacturers - and employees - nervous... 24 Jul 2017 13:14 #7

• GMP
  • Silver Member
Amazing tech.
Thing is with tech, sometimes what we get to see can be years behind where the research is actually up to.
I tend to be a tad blase about tech affecting jobs though.
Jobs change for sure but as tech has grown so has employment, it's just different employment.
As some trades become redundant then new trades or expanding service jobs appear to pick up the slack.
For example there's no call for Zeppelin builders these days but aero-tech firms are struggling to recruit such is the skills demand in aero-tech.
Last Edit: 24 Jul 2017 13:15 by GMP.

3D Printing Metal Parts and Components - An emerging technology that has a lot of manufacturers - and employees - nervous... 25 Jul 2017 21:52 #8

I first learned about this technology a few years ago. Amazing how they can make metal components and parts like that.

I'm not sure how a set of torque wrenches or heavy duty spanners would hold up if they were made by a 3D printing machine? Might be more a case of Snap-off rather than Snap-On.. :joker:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius
Last Edit: 25 Jul 2017 22:06 by Return of Zorro.

3D Printing Metal Parts and Components - An emerging technology that has a lot of manufacturers - and employees - nervous... 25 Jul 2017 21:59 #9

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Time will tell i suppose.. yes it seems as though forgings will always be stronger in my mind but who knows.. perhaps the version where they melt the powder can be decent.

Along with wrenches, critical components in engines like connecting rods and crankshafts need to be very strong so we will see if they can ever be replaced with 3d printing.. perhaps not.. but this tech will be useful for smaller complicated parts where perhaps strength isnt so critical.

1365 = 1

3D Printing Metal Parts and Components - An emerging technology that has a lot of manufacturers - and employees - nervous... 25 Jul 2017 22:05 #10

Useful for sure. These 3D printing machines can also make objects from other materials too, such as plastics etc.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius

3D Printing Metal Parts and Components - An emerging technology that has a lot of manufacturers - and employees - nervous... 25 Jul 2017 22:13 #11

• novum
  • Platinum Member
They will make certain castings obsolete, at least the casting process used to end up with said bits and pieces.

As some of the vids say its also an alternative to carving stuff out of billet blocks with cnc machines, as that creates alot of scrap metal that then needs to be melted down to be reused.

1365 = 1

3D Printing Metal Parts and Components - An emerging technology that has a lot of manufacturers - and employees - nervous... 25 Jul 2017 22:24 #12

They could well make a big part of the casting industry obsolete, indeed. I can't ever see them making heavy duty engine parts etc from 3D printing machines though.

3D Printing Metal Parts and Components - An emerging technology that has a lot of manufacturers - and employees - nervous... 25 Jul 2017 22:31 #13

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Sure, heres a billet crankshaft for example.. not so easy to print and have the strength and flexibility... time will tell ey but right now it seems impossible to replicate billet steel for certain applications.

In laymans for the readers, billet means its machined out of a solid slab of metal.

www.ebay.com/itm/Hemi-Billet-Bryant-Crankshaft-4-150-Stroke-/122269796024

1365 = 1

3D Printing Metal Parts and Components - An emerging technology that has a lot of manufacturers - and employees - nervous... 28 Jul 2017 13:34 #14

• GMP
  • Silver Member
The 3d tech could be useful to make super-accurate casting moulds though.
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare