Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Space........the next frontier

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 02:01 #1

• i-baster
  • Voluntarily Inactive
In all honesty I never used to be too impressed by space. I always liked the Ernest Borgnine line from Gattaca where he says to Ethan Hawke " you like space" then says something about cleaning "this space". I enjoyed movies like Gattaca and sci fi in general but I was not really interested in space itself. Lately though I have found myself changing my views. I have been getting more interested in science and have watched a fair bit of stuff by Neil Degrasse Tyson who has me excited about the idea of exploring space.

Of course space costs money but if money were no object or you had the check book so to speak, where would we be headed next. What would our space efforts go towards. As Bill Hicks said we could cut the defense budget feed the poor and explore space together. But which part? What should our goals be?
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, irrepressible

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 02:59 #2

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Colonising mars and the moon would be cool i guess. :hahano:
1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 08:12 #3

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
I think we'll get around to colonising the moon and Mars for sure, & in the not-too-distant future. All that potentially massive mineral wealth will drive the investment into it by big corporations & entrepreneurs like Richard Branson.

Future space travel will be motivated by the desire for profit, not the 'spirit of exploration' as used to be the case.
The pen is mightier than the sword

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 08:27 #4

• novum
  • Platinum Member
diamondgeezer wrote:
Future space travel will be motivated by the desire for profit, not the 'spirit of exploration' as used to be the case.

Its possible that exploration and projects in the past werent just based on exploring for the sake of it, come to think of it.

Perhaps they were already thinking about what they could get out of the moon, mars etc.

Have you guys seen some clips of Alex Jones where he talks about the many failed missions, unreported deaths and so on with space exploration, dead bodies on the moon and so on. He always claims to have sources that tell him these things.
1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 08:36 #5

• username
I would think that we would probably do Mars first and then build something substantial on the Moon. Unfortunately I think the race to make it happen will only gain momentum when it becomes obvious what China is going for.

An interesting sci-fi movie 'Moon' is based on Helium 3 mining on the moon. If we ever manage to control nuclear fusion then we could do with a lot of Helium 3 and it's believed to be abundant on the moon. So like Diamondgeezer say further exploration and colonies will be profit based. We are already reaching that stage where governments are outsourcing extra-planetary transport to companies. So future colonisation will be more original total recall movie than star trek hippy colony.

There are lots of interesting asteroids out there but I think beyond the Moon and Mars the first targets will be the gas giants moons. The ones to go for Europa (Jupiter) with massive water content, round saturn Titan (hydrocarbons and water) and Encaladus (water). This would secure resources for more local colonies.

This video is from the Huygenns probe landing on Titan, just looks like somewhere from the grand canyon or something :D

Beyond our solar system, well the distances involved make it seem impossible but NASA is working on a warp drive!

techandfacts.com/warp-drive-promising-nasa-studies/

ps I love Gattaca!
Last Edit: 08 Jun 2013 08:37 by username.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, irrepressible

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 09:01 #6

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
novum wrote:
diamondgeezer wrote:

Its possible that exploration and projects in the past werent just based on exploring for the sake of it, come to think of it.

Perhaps they were already thinking about what they could get out of the moon, mars etc.

I'm sure that its always been at the back of their minds somewhere.. :hahano:

The 'space race' of the 60's/70's seemed to be more about the US & Russia competing to be seen as 'top world superpower' than about investing in the hope of any future profit/s as such though.

It cost them a fortune. And lets face it, NASA will never recoup what they've laid out. imo private interests will steal all NASA's work/ideas/experience/ and blag the do.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 11:34 #7

• Rural_Oral
  • Fresh Member
There are 100 billion galaxies, with 100 billion stars in each galaxy, in the known universe...at the very least, So it would be nice if we could delve into deep space, Discover Alien Civilisations and kill them :) .

The Fermi Paradox is a deep thinking concept regarding life in space.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
" Vietnam was the first war ever fought without any censorship. Without censorship, things can get terribly confused in the public mind "

General William Westmoreland Time magazine, Apr. 5, 1982

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Bullock
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 12:05 #8

• Straight Shooter
diamondgeezer wrote:
I think we'll get around to colonising the moon and Mars for sure, & in the not-too-distant future. All that potentially massive mineral wealth will drive the investment into it by big corporations & entrepreneurs like Richard Branson.

www.latimes.com/news/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-mars-opportunity-rover-water-solander-curiosity-nasa-20130607,0,4749208.story

^Water would be the first step...

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 12:13 #9

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Rural_Oral wrote:
There are 100 billion galaxies, with 100 billion stars in each galaxy, in the known universe...at the very least, So it would be nice if we could delve into deep space, Discover Alien Civilisations and kill them :) .

I suspect that if we do get out there, we're more likely to find this:

Than this:

Call me a cynic...
User(s) who Liked this post: Rural_Oral

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 12:19 #10

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
We're ultimate badasses, we won't sweat the xenomorphs :D

Last Edit: 08 Jun 2013 12:19 by irrepressible.

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 12:21 #11

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Rural_Oral wrote:

The Fermi Paradox is a deep thinking concept regarding life in space.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

Yes ^^^ (well, not "kill them" although that will come in time knowing the human races' leaders and its sheep-pack) but Yes ^^^

We should build HUGE space ships and become intergalactic gypsies (without trashing whatever site we're camping on) and just keep pushing those boundaries.

I will sign up, as long as there are horses on board. :D
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 12:27 #12

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I have a sort of romantic vision of exploring space, kind of like Star Trek TNG but with a bit less of a militaristic hierarchic system. Starfleet is all about admirals and captains and uniforms and stuff. We'd need some kind of organisation to explore space though I think, just a bit less stiff than Star Trek :chuckle:

I just hope we don't steal the planet of some beautiful peaceful race and kill most of them. I hope by the time we get out there, we'll have evolved a bit more. Besides, there'll be alien races that would pulverise us if we tried to nick other planets and things I reckon :D
Last Edit: 08 Jun 2013 12:28 by irrepressible.

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 13:10 #13

• username
cantata wrote:

I will sign up, as long as there are horses on board. :D

Space exploration with horses, like a Heinlein novel (although they can talk too in some novels)
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 13:20 #14

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
irrepressible wrote:
We're ultimate badasses, we won't sweat the xenomorphs :D

Didn't last very long did he? :D

Sigourney understood just how bad they were, hence she lived.

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 13:26 #15

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
No he didn't last very long, he was the first to lose the plot, all mouth and no trousers :D

Ripley does a facepalm at the end of that clip "you have no idea what's about scoff you mate" :rofl:
Last Edit: 08 Jun 2013 13:27 by irrepressible.

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 15:13 #16

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
The Alien films are in my opinion up there in the top ten all-time horror list. Partly due to the excellent production acting & special effects of course, but mainly because of how horribly plausible it is.

Know what I mean?

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 15:16 #17

• username
diamondgeezer wrote:
The Alien films are in my opinion up there in the top ten all-time horror list. Partly due to the excellent production acting & special effects of course, but mainly because of how horribly plausible it is.

Know what I mean?

Yes, both on the nasty corporate side and on the side of face huggers putting eggs down my guts. They must surely exist somewhere, there's enough insect parasitoids on this planet
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, irrepressible

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 15:17 #18

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Yeah it is plausible actually, when people think of aliens they tend to think of intelligent lifeforms, greys with spaceships and stuff, not some parasitic insectoid type things :chuckle:

Alien introduced dirt and sweat to space didn't it? I mean travelling to other worlds in a spacecraft was work, and it wasn't all clinically clean and white.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 15:19 #19

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
username wrote:
Yes, both on the nasty corporate side and on the side of face huggers putting eggs down my guts. They must surely exist somewhere, there's enough insect parasitoids on this planet

Yeah the corporate side as well, Weyland-Yutani, the company. I think it was a massive centralised global mega corporation.

Space........the next frontier 08 Jun 2013 15:37 #20

• i-baster
  • Voluntarily Inactive
The cost of space travel was not money found because they were exploring and dreaming. There was a space race. The name of the game was beating the "commies" which inspired people to write checks.

Science fiction like the Alien films, I think focus on our (humans) attitudes towards the unknown. I do wonder if Aliens are hostile or at least wary of us. The butt probing Aliens of Whitley Strieber's account or the fact that they were allegedly shot down over New Mexico. If they can travel space so much better than us maybe they moved on to find more intelligent life.

I also wonder if the reason we don't visit the moon more is because of a warning from the dark side of the moon.
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare