Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The size of the Earth from the Moon

The size of the Earth from the Moon 16 Dec 2019 12:27 #221

• TG
  • Twilight Zoned
  • Troofahs are cowardly fucks afraid to debate. How sad is that.
Ugh wrote:
Let me try again- imagine an Olympic high jumper on earth running up to a 6-foot bar and clearing it.
If he did exactly the same thing in a moon dome, how high a bar would he be able to clear? Give me the figure in feet.

Which part of the answer confused you?

If he is "running" and doing a one legged launch, he would not be getting good grip. Look at Langley gravity simulations to see how awkward it is to run normally in 1/6 gravity. It is six times Earth height for a standing jump, but running, not if he can't launch properly due to poor balance and friction. No idea what he would do - too many variables.

Why! Is there some sort of ahaaaah moment coming?
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

The size of the Earth from the Moon 16 Dec 2019 12:33 #222

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
  • Name is Mick, Age 72, right winger, Christian, English
TG wrote:
Which part of the answer confused you?...

You never answered mate, you simply tried to shunt me off to a vid to do your talking for you; do I detect "squirming"?.
PS- And for good measure you've avoided giving me a straight answer in the Mars anomalies thread where I asked why don't NASA order the rover to rove over and take close-up photos of the things?
User(s) who Liked this post: Lux Interior

The size of the Earth from the Moon 16 Dec 2019 15:32 #223

• TG
  • Twilight Zoned
Ugh wrote:
TG wrote:
Which part of the answer confused you?...

You never answered mate,

Yes I did - you blind? :oldfart:

First post....

Does he wear a spacesuit and life support? The Apollo astronauts weighed double their body weight.

Question back: How high can a high-jumper jump with another person on piggy back?

Absent all life support hypothetically, he could jump 6 times higher with probably a little more thrown in because his mechanical actions are not as restricted. But then again, his approach and traction are all messed up, so could he get the same level of action? Nope. Just jumping vertically with no poor friction issues... 6x times plus a little more.

Second post...

If it involves a run up ...I refer you to my last answer. If it is a standing jump vertically, 6 times Earth height + a little extra as I said.

Third post.....

If he is "running" and doing a one legged launch, he would not be getting good grip. Look at Langley gravity simulations to see how awkward it is to run normally in 1/6 gravity. It is six times Earth height for a standing jump, but running, not if he can't launch properly due to poor balance and friction. No idea what he would do - too many variables.

you simply tried to shunt me off to a vid to do your talking for you;

No, that was to help you with your rather poor comprehension trouble.
do I detect "squirming"?.

No, do I detect senility?
PS- And for good measure you've avoided giving me a straight answer in the Mars anomalies thread where I asked why don't NASA order the rover to rove over and take close-up photos of the things?

Because it takes too fucking long and they aren't fucking anomalies.

HELLO?
Why! Is there some sort of ahaaaah moment coming?

Question back: How high can a high-jumper jump with another person on piggy back?
Last Edit: 16 Dec 2019 15:35 by TG.

The size of the Earth from the Moon 17 Dec 2019 02:32 #224

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
Ugh wrote:
You never answered mate,
TG wrote:
Yes I did - you blind? :oldfart:

Nah Charlie, I asked you to give a figure in feet, but you only said "6 times higher".
That's wrong anyway because you fell into the trap of thinking that because the moon's gravity is 6 times less than earth's, a moon jumper could jump 6 times higher..:)
Let me bring Arthur C. Clarke into the playpen, he wrote-
"High jump....the present terrestrial record is just over seven feet, but this does not mean that a lunar high jumper could do six times this, or forty-two feet................The high jump record for the moon will be around thirty feet..."

So to redeem yourself, would you care to explain to your enthralled popcorn-munching audience why (as Arthur said) a jumper could only jump 30 feet and not 42 feet on the moon?

The size of the Earth from the Moon 17 Dec 2019 11:39 #225

• TG
  • Twilight Zoned
Ugh wrote:
Nah Charlie, I asked you to give a figure in feet, but you only said "6 times higher".

Listen you :oldfart: - I gave you credence for knowing your six times table :facepalm:
That's wrong anyway because you fell into the trap of thinking that because the moon's gravity is 6 times less than earth's, a moon jumper could jump 6 times higher..:)

I fell into no trap.
Let me bring Arthur C. Clarke into the playpen, he wrote-
"High jump....the present terrestrial record is just over seven feet, but this does not mean that a lunar high jumper could do six times this, or forty-two feet................The high jump record for the moon will be around thirty feet..."

Uhuh.
So to redeem yourself, would you care to explain to your enthralled popcorn-munching audience why (as Arthur said) a jumper could only jump 30 feet and not 42 feet on the moon?[/color]

Arthur is referencing the centre of gravity of the jumper. There are way more variables than that though, friction being one of them.

For a vertical jump.....if a man lifts off at 2m per second on Earth, he will do the same on the Moon(probably with a little extra because his muscles are not as constrained). Six times the height, because it is 6 times the difference in gravity. 245% the time because it is the square root of the difference (6).

www.universetoday.com/19710/gravity-on-the-moon/

Just a specimen analysis:

The surface acceleration on the moon is 1.624 m/s2. On Earth that figure is 9.807 m/s2. That's 6.04x greater! So a 172 kg suit feels as if it weighs 28.5 kg.

Now
v=a*t → t=v/a
and
D=(1/2)*a*t^2
so
D=(1/2)*a*(v/a)^2 → v^2 / (2*a)

An object propelled from the moons surface at 2 m/s will rise 1.23 m. (4 ft). On Earth the same speed raises you only 203 mm (8 inches).
Last Edit: 17 Dec 2019 11:40 by TG.

The size of the Earth from the Moon 17 Dec 2019 13:54 #226

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
TG wrote:
Arthur is referencing the centre of gravity of the jumper..

Congrats mate, it only took you 4 attempts to get it (with the help of google?)..;)

The size of the Earth from the Moon 17 Dec 2019 15:10 #227

• TG
  • Twilight Zoned
Ugh wrote:
TG wrote:
Arthur is referencing the centre of gravity of the jumper..

Congrats mate, it only took you 4 attempts to get it (with the help of google?)..;)

It took me no attempts.

Shall I explain the difference between what the high jumper is doing and what a vertical jump does?

The former is attempting to get his body mass over a fixed height. He does this by attaining as high as possible and rotating his centre of gravity around the bar. Hence the reference to the change in centre of gravity.

With the latter, the measure point is the bottom of his feet and he is simply jumping vertically with no COG rotation.

The force a jumper can muster does not change so applying the same vertical force achieved 6 times the height.

How many actual attempts will it take you before this sinks in? :oldfart:
Last Edit: 17 Dec 2019 15:10 by TG.

The size of the Earth from the Moon 18 Dec 2019 04:19 #228

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
TG wrote:
Shall I explain the difference between what the high jumper is doing and what a vertical jump does?
The former is attempting to get his body mass over a fixed height. He does this by attaining as high as possible and rotating his centre of gravity around the bar. Hence the reference to the change in centre of gravity.
With the latter, the measure point is the bottom of his feet and he is simply jumping vertically with no COG rotation.
The force a jumper can muster does not change so applying the same vertical force achieved 6 times the height.

ENOUGH KIDDO, ENOUGH!-
"The more the words,the less the meaning,and how does that profit anyone?" (Bible:Ecclesiastes 6:11)

I was always talking about a high jumper, not a "vertical jumper", live with it..:).
But look, let AC Clarke explain once and for all on page 241 of his book 'Greetings Carbon-based bipeds' exactly why a high jumper on the moon couldn't jump 6 times as high even though the gravity is 6 times less-

Last Edit: 18 Dec 2019 04:20 by Ugh.

The size of the Earth from the Moon 18 Dec 2019 12:24 #229

• TG
  • Twilight Zoned
Ugh wrote:
ENOUGH KIDDO, ENOUGH!-
"The more the words,the less the meaning,and how does that profit anyone?" (Bible:Ecclesiastes 6:11)

My words have meaning to those who understand.
I was always talking about a high jumper, not a "vertical jumper", live with it..:).

And I explained quite clearly there are too many variables and doubted he would get as high.
But look, let AC Clarke explain once and for all on page 241 of his book 'Greetings Carbon-based bipeds' exactly why a high jumper on the moon couldn't jump 6 times as high even though the gravity is 6 times less-

He is talking about rotating his body mass around his centre of gravity to clear a bar.

www.sciencealert.com/here-s-how-high-you-could-jump-on-other-worlds-in-the-solar-system

Vertical jumps .....Charlie.

The size of the Earth from the Moon 21 Dec 2019 10:25 #230

• Lux Interior
  • Silver Member
  • Do you know de way?
:facepalm: :shemused: :wissl:
liberabo te ab inferno

875 020 079

He cried in a whisper at some image, at some vision—he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath: "'The horror!