Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed?

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 29 Sep 2012 07:51 #1

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
"Our Digital World". "The Digital Universe". "Our Digital Lives". These are the words I've been hearing for the past few years now. But what do they mean? Where are we headed with this?
One part of me thinks it's just the natural progression of technology and interaction, and it's great, a world of information at your fingertips, freedom of expression, exchange of ideas. Another part of me however thinks there might be something more sinister behind it. Are we walking into a trap? A digital fascist technocracy. where information, ideas, and freedom of expression and free speech are censored and controlled?
There has been a fast and steady phasing out of physical media over the past few years and it's gathering pace all the time. Could the rise of "The Cloud" pave way for erosion of privacy, and turn the internet into a kind of Orwell's Ministry of Truth?

I can see both sides of the coin. What do you all think? Where are we headed?
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 29 Sep 2012 09:43 #2

• novum
  • Platinum Member
irrepressible wrote:
I can see both sides of the coin. What do you all think? Where are we headed?

I think both sides will exist.

Perhaps which side you are on depends on which topics you are talking about.
1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 29 Sep 2012 12:53 #3

• batou
  • Fresh Member
  • Premier Subscriber
total information control is govts wet dream
I want to rock n roll all night, and part of every day.

Vio­lence is not the answer, it is the ques­tion. the answer is yes.

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 29 Sep 2012 13:20 #4

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
novum wrote:
I think both sides will exist.

Perhaps which side you are on depends on which topics you are talking about.

Both sides will exist...what do you mean? Tptb will keep centralising and trying to control and supress, but people will keep kind of plugging away and making websites and that kind of thing? I mean if the control freaks start censoring books, information, will there be people uploading the uncensored stuff?

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 29 Sep 2012 13:43 #5

• novum
  • Platinum Member
irrepressible wrote:
Both sides will exist...what do you mean? Tptb will keep centralising and trying to control and supress, but people will keep kind of plugging away and making websites and that kind of thing?

In part yes...and more. I meant people will be surrounded in more and more technology and most will likely think its cool and everything, and that they are free...but so long as its used as the powers want it to be used. In some ways people will have access to things and be able to automate things like never before and so on, and it can improve lives in some ways.

The flip side of this is it being used against us. You said before " Are we walk­ing into a trap? "

I guess thats objective for some people. Some will feel like they are trapped, some wont. Its like that now even.

Personally I see technology as the single most important catalyst for the unprecedented centralisation of power we see in modern times.
1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
User(s) who Liked this post: Lizzy, irrepressible

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 29 Sep 2012 16:49 #6

• Lizzy
  • Silver Member
Hi Irre.....I think we heading for a blending of 1984 and Brave New World.

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 29 Sep 2012 16:53 #7

• StarsChildren
The digital world can be used for a control method to limit people from being able to 1) survive without it, 2) survive outside the house, and 3) disinformation passed around like a serving tray. In regards to #1, you should see some of the reactions you get from people if you mention no internet, no TV, you'd think they were having a stroke... in regards to #2, most people obsessed with the internet and "digital world" I have met don't seem capable of surviving outside the house (they can't garden, it is a foreign concept to them... materialistic, if it's broke, buy a new one... etc...)... in regards to #3, I think that is a given, the more ability there is to look for truth and information, the more disinformation you run across.

Let me finish my second cup of coffee :coffee: I might have something better after...

Edit: Coffrees gone, I tried and got nothing besides what I already rambled about...
I don't like to think before I speak.
I like to be just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.
Last Edit: 29 Sep 2012 18:49 by StarsChildren.

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 29 Sep 2012 16:59 #8

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I will return to this topic when I'm not quite so knackered :D There is much to discuss, and theories, postulations, etc :)

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 29 Sep 2012 23:15 #9

• Oracle
  • Futurist & Anthropogenist
The EU has some new naughty plans:

Clean IT – Leak shows plans for large-scale, undemocratic surveillance of all communications

Key measures being proposed:
  • Removal of any legislation filtering/surveillance of employees' Internet connections
  • Law enforcement authorities should be able to have content removed “without following the more labour-intensive and formal procedures for 'notice and action'”
  • “Knowingly” providing links to “terrorist content” (the draft does not refer to content which has been ruled to be illegal by a court, but undefined “terrorist content” in general) will be an offence “just like” the terrorist
  • Legal underpinning of “real name” rules to prevent anonymous use of online services
  • ISPs to be held liable for not making “reasonable” efforts to use technological surveillance to identify (undefined) “terrorist” use of the Internet
  • Companies providing end-user filtering systems and their customers should be liable for failing to report “illegal” activity identified by the filter
  • Customers should also be held liable for “knowingly” sending a report of content which is not illegal
  • Governments should use the helpfulness of ISPs as a criterion for awarding public contracts
  • The proposal on blocking lists contradict each other, on the one hand providing comprehensive details for each piece of illegal content and judicial references, but then saying that the owner can appeal (although if there was already a judicial ruling, the legal process would already have been at an end) and that filtering such be based on the “output” of the proposed content regulation body, the “European Advisory Foundation”
  • Blocking or “warning” systems should be implemented by social media platforms – somehow it will be both illegal to provide (undefined) “Internet services” to “terrorist persons” and legal to knowingly provide access to illegal content, while “warning” the end-user that they are accessing illegal content
  • The anonymity of individuals reporting (possibly) illegal content must be preserved... yet their IP address must be logged to permit them to be prosecuted if it is suspected that they are reporting legal content deliberately and to permit reliable informants' reports to be processed more quickly
  • Companies should implement upload filters to monitor uploaded content to make sure that content that is removed – or content that is similar to what is removed – is not re-uploaded
  • It proposes that content should not be removed in all cases but “blocked” (i.e. make inaccessible by the hosting provider – not “blocked” in the access provider sense) and, in other cases, left available online but with the domain name removed.
More here:
edri.org/cleanIT

Spread it far and wide please.
The resident shill announced
blue_tackler wrote:
please make my profile inactive, I no longer want to have any connection to this forum.

yet he is trolling further. :facepalm:

blue_tackler wrote:
the lice are only going to jump onto other typhus victim

Prime example of holocaustianity mental issues, clinically insane, and utterly ill informed, a danger to public health if this dude was working for CDC.
Last Edit: 29 Sep 2012 23:16 by Oracle.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, Frog, Lizzy, irrepressible

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 30 Sep 2012 15:05 #10

• clint
  • Fresh Member
robotism, 70/30 split?

the digital world is very exciting and it very useful in many ways.

the digital world though, is going to be the downfall of humanity. imo
eventually the computer will figure out humans are obsolete and have been for a very,very long time....lol
User(s) who Liked this post: Lizzy, irrepressible

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 30 Sep 2012 20:19 #11

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
What most concerns me, is all media being online. Not being able to read a book without being connected to the internet. Not being able to survive without it like SC said.
Maybe paper and pens won't even exist in the future, everything will be written electronically on tablets etc.
Everything we ever read and write being archived by prying eyes :O :hahano:
Huge implications for freedom. It's like a double edged sword, on the one hand we've never been more free and in control of what we read and write, on the other we can also be spied on, data constantly recorded and stored.
Last Edit: 30 Sep 2012 20:20 by irrepressible.
User(s) who Liked this post: Oracle

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 01 Oct 2012 21:58 #12

• Oracle
irrepressible wrote:
What most concerns me, is all media being online. Not being able to read a book without being connected to the internet. Not being able to survive without it like SC said.
Maybe paper and pens won't even exist in the future, everything will be written electronically on tablets etc.
Everything we ever read and write being archived by prying eyes :O :hahano:
Huge implications for freedom. It's like a double edged sword, on the one hand we've never been more free and in control of what we read and write, on the other we can also be spied on, data constantly recorded and stored.

Much more sinister.
Borg agenda, compliant drones, batteries of bio energy.

This is only public trash, compared to other things.
blue_tackler wrote:
please make my profile inactive, I no longer want to have any connection to this forum.

blue_tackler wrote:

Prime example of holocaustianity mental issues, clinically insane, and utterly ill informed, a danger to public health if this dude was working for CDC.
Last Edit: 01 Oct 2012 21:58 by Oracle.

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 21 Oct 2012 12:36 #13

• Oracle

Battlestar Galactica(new series) spring to mind, or the shape shifters of Fringe, or Data of Star Trek or Replicators of Stargate Atlantis.
blue_tackler wrote:

blue_tackler wrote:

Last Edit: 21 Oct 2012 12:55 by Oracle.

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 07 Feb 2013 13:58 #14

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Report: Next Xbox will require online connection, not play used games

A new report on Microsoft’s next Xbox is making the rounds today, and it’s not leaving many smiling faces in its wake.
Citing "sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft's next generation console," Edge Online reports that the successor to the Xbox 360 (Xbox 720? Xbox 8? Durango?) will require online connectivity to function, though games will be available in both downloadable and disc form. Specifically, Edge’s sources claim the new system will adopt Sony’s Blu-Ray format and that games will ship with one-time activation codes, effectively rendering used games unplayable.
The report seems to confirm earlier rumours about the system’s banning of used games. Sony’s next system has also been tied to that claim thanks to a recent patent application, though analysts are dubious that either system would really try to squash the used games market in this manner.
“It’s highly unlikely,” Colin Sebastian, analyst for R.W. Baird, told GamesBeat. “They may have the capability to prevent re-sales, but Microsoft needs retail support to sell hardware, and many of their core gamer customers trade a lot of games.”
Killing off used game sales would most certainly damage any console maker’s relationship with retailers, who derive a significant percentage of their profits from used game sales.
Edge also mentions some hardware specs for the next console as well as the inclusion of an advanced version of the Kinect motion-sensing camera system.
Microsoft has yet to officially comment on any of these claims, though they better act fast. Sony has already hopped into the driver’s seat with plans to formally reveal the next PlayStation system at a media event in New York on February 20. Both the next Xbox and the next PlayStation are expected to release by the end of 2013.

uk.games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/rumor-next-xbox-require-online-connection-not-play-224337051.html

More evidence of the erosion of ownership, taking our media out of our hands, literally. If Microsoft are indeed making the new Xbox require online connectivity to function, then they're going to shoot themselves in the foot, at least in the short term, because not everyone is online. Everyone will be online at some point in the future though, imo, that's where it's all headed.
Not being able to listen to a song, play a game, read a book, watch a film, without internet connection does not sit well with me at all.

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 07 Feb 2013 15:50 #15

• StarsChildren
just don't buy the new game system... problem fixed :coffee:

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 07 Feb 2013 16:52 #16

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Ah but where does that lead? Just don't buy the new book, just don't buy the new album... etc. I mean, I think they want everything online, as far as media is concerned.
Last Edit: 07 Feb 2013 16:53 by irrepressible.

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 07 Feb 2013 16:56 #17

• StarsChildren
well if people don't like how its going, and quit buying en mass from the company pushing the new stuff, its going to send a messages. btw, a book is different, its a book to read (the only issue i have is they are trying to phase out actual books and make them all digital, over my dead body)...and who buys albums anymore? just rip it off youtube.

and really, how many game systems/consoles does 1 person need? i still have one of the first nintendo's, and still play on it... i have others, newer ones, but refuse to buy a wii, refuse to buy an xbox, etc... we worry about data collection on computers, whats gonna happen when all the game systems go to needing an internet connection? more data collection.

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 07 Feb 2013 17:17 #18

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
The problem is that people will keep buying en mass probably, especially younger people who are growing up with all the downloading and streaming, and my theory is that it's not individual companies coming up with the ideas, I think it's part of a wider agenda. All the companies will fall into line with the agenda imo, and they know it.

I'm a bit of an audiophile :D I'd think about ripping it off Youtube if it was lossless. Lossy formats are allright, but they're not as good as lossless, nowhere near imo. CD's have a bit rate of 1,411kbps, compare that to AAC/MP3 320kbps, that's over 1000 kbps loss of information, that means less transparency, narrower sound stage, less space around the instruments, etc. That's not even real anyway, I mean CD, it's digital, vinyl is the real deal, analogue. A CD is an computer impression of what it thinks the original sounds like. That's why people talk about vinyl being "more warm" "more real".
I rip my music on my laptop in WAV lossless which is the full bitrate, you can hear the difference.

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 07 Feb 2013 17:26 #19

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Also broadband speeds are getting faster to pave the way for this "all at your fingertips" stuff. My broadband speed is around 72.3Mb download, 20.0Mb upload.

Our "Digital World"...Where are we headed? 07 Feb 2013 17:26 #20

• StarsChildren
rip it into mp3 format, basically the same as what comes on a cd (completely bypass wav formats), sounds just like it does on youtube that way

i've never heard a vinyl record before, i've seen them, my mom used to have some, but i've never "heard" one.

the younger generations need to be taught better, raised better... prevent them from falling in line. problem comes in when the parents fall in line and don't know any better