Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: High Rise Flats In The U.K.

High Rise Flats In The U.K. 31 Mar 2013 00:49 #21

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
cantata wrote:
I guess it's all swings and roundabouts really. Someone is always the lucky one to us, but we're always the lucky one to someone else, almost no matter where or how we live.

Wise woman you are, innit ;)
The pen is mightier than the sword
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

High Rise Flats In The U.K. 31 Mar 2013 02:40 #22

• cantata
  • Silver Member
diamondgeezer wrote:
cantata wrote:
I guess it's all swings and roundabouts really. Someone is always the lucky one to us, but we're always the lucky one to someone else, almost no matter where or how we live.

Wise woman you are, innit ;)

Oh, yeah. so "wise" that I thought it was 1.38a.m. and was waiting for the clock to revert back to 12.38a.m, so I could watch the end of that film and still not be too late into bed. And all the time it was 2.38a.m. :O Damn! Wrong way round, wasn't it? An hour that way instead of this way! Damn! :O :mad:

But, apart from that, I am really, really, really wise.

:D
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier

High Rise Flats In The U.K. 31 Mar 2013 03:02 #23

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Bah....putting the clocks forwards is just backwards imo...

(seriously, I just made that up on the drunken spur of the drunken moment lol)

High Rise Flats In The U.K. 31 Mar 2013 03:32 #24

• cantata
  • Silver Member
diamondgeezer wrote:
Bah....putting the clocks forwards is just backwards imo...

(seriously, I just made that up on the drunken spur of the drunken moment lol)

...and then they're forward enough to make us put them backward.

Just wish I knew the fek which way around it was (after 56 years of living it :D ).

How wise we are, Gwasshoppa. :D

Nite nite. :)

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

High Rise Flats In The U.K. 31 Mar 2013 03:41 #25

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
night nite babe :)

High Rise Flats In The U.K. 01 Apr 2013 07:08 #26

• Straight Shooter
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_Tank_(film)

^I watched a movie called "Fish Tank" a few nights ago about life in a London Housing project.

I was not aware of the poverty over there so it was a real eye opener to me...

High Rise Flats In The U.K. 01 Apr 2013 15:33 #27

• cantata
  • Silver Member
.......... wrote:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_Tank_(film)

^I watched a movie called "Fish Tank" a few nights ago about life in a London Housing project.

I was not aware of the poverty over there so it was a real eye opener to me...

There is some real poverty in the UK, dot-dot-dot. You'd have to see it before you could actually believe it. In this town I live in - a very Conservative, middle class area (supposedly) one of the wards (Brunswick Ward) has just been named as the 3rd worst area in the UK for child poverty. :( It's everywhere. And it seems that people can live like that without receiving any concern or help from anyone - BUT, as the article linked below from wiki shows, where "gentrification" occurs (a better class of people wanting to live somewhere in that same area)suddenly the money can be found to turn even high rise flats into des res's that the Young Urban Professional will pay high prices for, as I said above:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_block

Some of the London and other city flats are now the number one choices for people with money quite literally because of the views they give. Go figure. It wouldn't take much to spruce up these places and give people a pride in living there, instead of feeling just "dumped and left".

In recent years, some council or ex-council high-rises in the United Kingdom, including Trellick Tower, Keeling House, Sivill House and The Barbican Estate, have become popular with young professionals due to their excellent views, desirable locations and architectural pedigrees, and now command high prices. There are plans to redevelop the Little London and Lovell Park areas on the fringes of Leeds city centre into luxury flats for 'Young Urban Professionals'. The plans entail demolishing all of the council housing and refurbishing the highrise flats. This demand has led to many councils rethinking plans regarding their demolition. In Glasgow, similar initiatives have taken place – in 2011, the Glasgow Housing Association saved one of a cluster of three condemned tower blocks in the Ibrox area with the help of government grants to transform it into desirable rented housing for young professionals.[47]

We had the same in this town 20/30 years ago with the smaller Victorian terraced houses of the town. Back then, none of the white people wanted such houses and they became "dumps" to almost hide the Asian (mianly Indian) contingent in. So, the Indians bought theses houses, spruced them up a bit, petitioned for better roads and benches to sit out on.... and, with only that small amount of "gentrification", suddenly these same houses were the number one choice of the Yuppies. Shrubland Street and the like suddenly became very swish, almost overnight.

Perhaps our flats are so unwanted because they were slapped up without care or consideration and just left that way? Maybe they just are not high rise enough (look at the flats in Japan, Saudi, India - all two and three times higher)?

But wherever they are, with a bit of care and improvement, high rise flats could be an absolute treasure for residents and surrounding properties alike.

Whenever I walk across the hills at the far end of Leamington, I look at the flats there and am struck again at how many are living in them feeling desolate and depressed (which many do) when, ironically, they have the best views in the town and potentially the homes Young Urban Professionals would scramble after up ahead.

Last Edit: 01 Apr 2013 15:50 by cantata.
User(s) who Liked this post: ..........

High Rise Flats In The U.K. 01 Apr 2013 17:44 #28

• Straight Shooter
^Very good read cantata, thank you,,,,

When i get some time i'm going to talk about "gentrification" in North East America and some other things.

High Rise Flats In The U.K. 14 Apr 2013 14:09 #29

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Exactly, Wildhorse. High rise flats could so easily be fantastic.

As for the "dickheads" being lumped into the places... again, I believe it is a perspective. Councils et al DO dump problem families and people into such places - and, once you have given people the idea that they are nothing but dead weights to be dumped, they tend to sink into depression and behaviours that reflect that.

But, if something could be done to smarten up the flats - even just re-labelling them "apartments" and tarting them up a little bit - people might well see themselves as housed in a property that Young Urban Professionals would stampede for. Then, they would be likely to look after them much better.

High Rise flats/apartments, presented properly, could so easily be a real prize for people to live in.

High Rise Flats In The U.K. 16 Apr 2013 17:25 #30

• Straight Shooter
WildHorse wrote:

Its only shit when the hoard all the dickheads together in one block of flats, otherwise when respectful people (and by that I mean good attitudes and peaceful ways) live in flats, it need not be a hell hole experience. Rather see high rises in cities than lots of housing sprawl taking up valuable land in this country.

Some of the high rises being refurbed are rather nice now.

I agree that being refurbed is almost always the way to go but how is the best way to avoid them becoming run down again?

High Rise Flats In The U.K. 16 Apr 2013 17:58 #31

• Straight Shooter
I watched this on Netflix, very good show reminded me alot of how urban crime is here in America.

High Rise Flats In The U.K. 02 Aug 2013 17:12 #32

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Here is another example of a High Rise flat in the U.K. Only a MUCH different example from the Local Council High Rises:

money.uk.msn.com/mortgages-and-homes/five-bed-flat-for-sale-asking-price-%C2%A368-million

A five bedroom flat in One Hyde Park for £68 million; and the kudos of the building's address and architect gives rise to the cheapest flat available in that complex being worth £6 million.

It really is how we see things, isn't it? We look at how it's presented and any supposed "class" from its postcode or designer.... and suddenly what is a dump to some is an immensely des res to others.

High Rise Flats In The U.K. 02 Aug 2013 17:42 #33

• jonb
The flats being sub standard is deliberate policy, from what I can tell from all the stories I've heard over the years. For instance, my father was an architectural designer for a while in the late fifties early sixties and resigned from a job working on a high rise. Because he wanted to make a space out side the actual living area of the flat in the corridor which belonged to the tenant. In this way tenants could be on their own ground and communicate with their neighbors, This is good because the tenants then group together to police the corridors. He could not understand why that sensible design which would cost nothing was so heavily blocked.
Another incident was an architect I met told me about her first job when she was helping design a bock of flats, she realized she could make the balconies four times the size for no extra cost. You guessed it she was not allowed to do so and was told the flats had to be built to minimum requirement the people going into them should not be given any more than that.
Remember these blocks are all built to an architectural style which is know by architects as Brutalism.

High Rise Flats In The U.K. 02 Aug 2013 18:10 #34

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Yes, I can fully believe that, jonb. And many high rises were made of poor materials, or slapped up quickly.

BUT these same brutal, shoddy and bland buildings can very suddenly become highly sought after by people with money who love Urban living and it takes very little work (really) to transform them into said "desirable properties".

Is it just lack of vision of those who currently live in such places that they accept they live in dumps, and do nothing to alter that and make the high rises something very sought after?

Dots: at the end of the day, the only way any property - high rise or not - can be stopped from becoming a dump is by the people occupying them keeping the buildings up to scratch. The residents have to take their share of responsibility too, and not sit waiting for "the councils" to do everything for them.

Last Edit: 02 Aug 2013 18:13 by cantata.

High Rise Flats In The U.K. 02 Aug 2013 18:33 #35

• jonb
When I was traveling somebody pointed out to me how to tell if the strange area I was in was safe or not. It has always worked for me and is worth mentioning. I was told look for the grannies, if they were sitting about talking to each other, these old ladies kept the area peaceable and stopped the kids and teenagers getting out of control.If there were no old ladies about, or they just whisked from one place to another then keep an eye open. I found it a very good bit of advice. The design changes don't have to be all that cleaver or expensive and its not as though designers and planners don't know this stuff.
The question has to be why is it never put into practice?
  • Page:
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare