Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: the issue of trust and distrust in government and media

the issue of trust and distrust in government and media 11 Jun 2013 01:48 #1

• i-baster
  • Voluntarily Inactive
We often talk about the msm (mainstream media) and tptb (the powers that be) and depending on the person talking you might hear trust or mistrust of the channel, publication or institution. There are numerous examples but I shall stick to a few as I am more interested in how we decide who to trust or not to trust.

The BBC is a great example I think. I think there are a number of issues that come from the way in which the BBC is funded. So I wonder what exactly makes the BBC trusted or not. Is it just an arm of government? I don't think so personally although I know there must be limits to what they will publish or broadcast. The same goes for most broadcasters. They have different limits/ expectations. Sponsorship or board of directors etc.

The police. Now the police( any nation really) are a great example of a widely disliked and distrusted institution. We know they are at times certainly used as an arm of government and they are guilty of corruption and brutality but there are perhaps arguments that for all their flaws you could still have general trust in them. Of course this topic extends on to many different institutions and publications. Some people put their trust in Infowars or the daily mail or CNN or the United Nations. I try to be aware of biases and issues of that nature but I also try to keep my mind open to institutions that are trusted and those I would not normally trust.

It is important I think to look at the information or the individual case in question.

The non trusted can still be accurate once in a while and the trusted can fuck up or be manipulated.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

the issue of trust and distrust in government and media 11 Jun 2013 03:49 #2

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
The police. Now the police( any nation really) are a great example of a widely disliked and distrusted institution. We know they are at times certainly used as an arm of government and they are guilty of corruption and brutality but there are perhaps arguments that for all their flaws you could still have general trust in them.

We need some form of police in our societies because not everyone is nice, simple as that.

People who are dreaming of some wonderful global utopia where everything is great & no one murders robs or rapes anyone else are deluding themselves, & not seeing reality.

We're just not there yet as a species, we're really not.
The pen is mightier than the sword
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, irrepressible

the issue of trust and distrust in government and media 12 Jun 2013 01:57 #3

• i-baster
  • Voluntarily Inactive
That is a whole other issue. The point I was trying to get at was that some people trust the police and some don't just as some people trust the BBC and some don't.

You say we need a police, and I tend to agree but do you trust them and why? Does your trust or lack of trust carry with it conditions or exceptions?

If the BBC has a story on a new government programme then are you biased against or in favour of the programme on the basis of the bbc's coverage or based on the fact that it is a government programme. I am making a fairly expansive topic but it is something I find interesting. It is something I could put enough effort into to write a book.

the issue of trust and distrust in government and media 12 Jun 2013 07:03 #4

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
diamondgeezer wrote:
The police. Now the police( any nation really) are a great example of a widely disliked and distrusted institution. We know they are at times certainly used as an arm of government and they are guilty of corruption and brutality but there are perhaps arguments that for all their flaws you could still have general trust in them.

We need some form of police in our societies because not everyone is nice, simple as that.

People who are dreaming of some wonderful global utopia where everything is great & no one murders robs or rapes anyone else are deluding themselves, & not seeing reality.

We're just not there yet as a species, we're really not.

This would really deserve a thread in itself as it's an interesting issue.

I mean, I think most people would agree our current society feels like it needs the police to some degree, at least so they can turn up three days later so you can get a crime number for insurance purposes if anything happens.

But I don't think it's a matter of not being there as a species yet - constables and nightwatchmen go back a way, but the police that we know is a pretty modern invention. And it wasn't created simply to stop murderers and rapists.
I have no particular love for the idealised 'worker' as he appears in the bourgeois communist's mind, but when I see an actual flesh and blood worker in conflict with his natural enemy, the policeman, I do not have to ask myself which side I am on

- George Orwell, Homage To Catalonia
No War But The Class War
Last Edit: 12 Jun 2013 07:03 by Chuck Random.