Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities.

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 10 Aug 2013 01:11 #41

Yeah right, you ever been on youtube, tell me who has more views Bieber or KRS One?

Rihanna or Erykah Badu?

Living Legends or Fifty Cent?

I could go on and illustrate the difference in depth and self expression, the contrast in style and substance between symbolic representations of "artists" and Artists ;)
...Molti nemici molto onore...
Last Edit: 10 Aug 2013 01:13 by Ultimate Seeker ™.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 10 Aug 2013 02:57 #42

• Straight Shooter
Ultimate Seeker ™ wrote:
Yeah right, you ever been on youtube, tell me who has more views Bieber or KRS One?

Rihanna or Erykah Badu?

Living Legends or Fifty Cent?

I could go on and illustrate the difference in depth and self expression, the contrast in style and substance between symbolic representations of "artists" and Artists ;)

Sounds like you need to elaborate on this and enlighten me.

I can tell you for sure why Bieber, Rhianna, 50 have way more views it's simple, people just wan't to dance and have fun.

Nobody is going to put this on at a party and start rockin....

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 10 Aug 2013 13:41 #43

Not everybody is going to parties "dancing", "having fun" or "rocking" :P

The masses, the 85% are exposed to Capitalist ideology from every angle, through the pop charts, sports, advertising, the media, the education system, their parents, peers and idols, they are encouraged to prefer absent minded participation in Hedonistic activities like "partying" and "having fun", activity and productivity, the specifics are irrelevant but the effect is the watered down, image obsessed, thoughtless, misunderstood mass culture of which people like Fiddy, Rihanna, Minaj etc are a part of.
Hannah Arendt's 1961 essay "The Crisis in Culture" suggested that a "market-driven media would lead to the displacement of culture by the dictates of entertainment."[8] Susan Sontag argues that in our culture, the most "...intelligible, persuasive values are [increasingly] drawn from the entertainment industries", which is "undermining of standards of seriousness." As a result, "tepid, the glib, and the senselessly cruel" topics are becoming the norm.[8] Some critics argue that popular culture is “dumbing down”: "newspapers that once ran foreign news now feature celebrity gossip, pictures of scantily dressed young ladies... television has replaced high-quality drama with gardening, cookery, and other “lifestyle” programmes [and] reality TV and asinine soaps," to the point that people are constantly immersed in trivia about celebrity culture.[8]

Since the 1950s, television has been the main medium for molding public opinion.[9] In Rosenberg and White's book Mass Culture, MacDonald argues that "Popular culture is a debased, trivial culture that voids both the deep realities (sex, death, failure, tragedy) and also the simple spontaneous pleasures... The masses, debauched by several generations of this sort of thing, in turn come to demand trivial and comfortable cultural products."[8] Van den Haag argues that "all mass media in the end alienate people from personal experience and though appearing to offset it, intensify their moral isolation from each other, from the reality and from themselves."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_culture
Last Edit: 10 Aug 2013 13:42 by Ultimate Seeker ™.

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 10 Aug 2013 15:38 #44

• Straight Shooter
Mike i understand the point your trying to make...

But your sounding like Farrakhan again tbh...

Because people in the west who are NOT going to parties "dancing", "having fun" or "rocking are at home on youtube.

Don't try sneak dissin the entertainment industry, you either "go Farrakhan on it" or just accept it for what it is.

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 10 Aug 2013 15:50 #45

What do you mean I'm sounding like Farrakhan, to my knowledge he doesn't use Wikipedia?
Because people in the west who are NOT going to parties "dancing", "having fun" or "rocking are at home on youtube.
Perhaps for a certain class, but for other classes you'll have people the same age at boarding school, learning practical things, being groomed for a life in the technocracy, there is still opera, musicals and education if you're a member of a certain class.

Are you saying you either blame the Jews or you can't talk ill of the entertainment industry?
Last Edit: 10 Aug 2013 15:54 by Ultimate Seeker ™.

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 10 Aug 2013 16:03 #46

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
novum wrote:
Haha he looks like he took some ex.

Look whether you agree with the industry or not, and how the masses lap this shit up, i still think you still have to be pretty unique to be an entertainer like Rihanna, not just anyone can do it, despite what naysayers say.

You need a certain mind, a kind of intelligence, looks, look after your body, still be able to sing somewhat, and above all else perform in front of crowds and entertain, be able to rip it up.

For anyone who says otherwise throw em a mic and tell em to get on the stage in front of a crowd see what happens. :cruiselarf:

I think this is true, but this is about somebody with an enormous ego and mountains of self-confidence thriving on being up in front of huge crowds and playing the part.

Looking after yourself is only important insofar as being able to adhere to it. And people like rhianna are invariably the sort of people who highly value superficial attributes like looking fashionable. Rhianna will have a personal trainer, someone to do her make-up and someone to buy her clothes. She'll have access to any and all cosmetic enhancements possible and top physicians for any and all ailments. she is, as Ult Seek says, a symbolic representation. Everything about her will be carefully managed. Whether she likes it or not. She is a brand.
No War But The Class War

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 10 Aug 2013 16:06 #47

• Straight Shooter
Mike nobody is "rockin out" to KRS-1 or Erykah Badu...

You gotta be careful with cynicism because just saying Rihanna fans are all brain dead sheep won't accomplish anything.

Humans are free to listen to anything they want on youtube so if 100's of millions check for Rihanna so be it.

If that's not what you like well Non Phixion is right there for you or whoever else is feeling that.

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 10 Aug 2013 16:12 #48

• Straight Shooter
Chuck Random wrote:

Looking after yourself is only important insofar as being able to adhere to it. And people like rhianna are invariably the sort of people who highly value superficial attributes like looking fashionable. Rhianna will have a personal trainer, someone to do her make-up and someone to buy her clothes. She'll have access to any and all cosmetic enhancements possible and top physicians for any and all ailments. she is, as Ult Seek says, a symbolic representation. Everything about her will be carefully managed. Whether she likes it or not. She is a brand.

Some people just got it like that...

Rhianna has been selling millions of albums since she was a teen without any cosmetic enhancements.

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 10 Aug 2013 16:21 #49

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
.......... wrote:
Chuck Random wrote:

Rhianna has been selling millions of albums since she was a teen without any cosmetic enhancements.

She's young. And it's not just about surgery.

Are you suggesting she doesn't have her own make-up artist, personal trainer, stylist etc? She is a packaged product. It's not her fault. You can't be a commodity worth $millions without a lot of effort going into packaging the product.
No War But The Class War

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 10 Aug 2013 16:35 #50

• Straight Shooter
Chuck Random wrote:
.......... wrote:
Chuck Random wrote:

She's young. And it's not just about surgery.

Are you suggesting she doesn't have her own make-up artist, personal trainer, stylist etc? She is a packaged product. It's not her fault. You can't be a commodity worth $millions without a lot of effort going into packaging the product.

But that all just comes with having money and being an entertainer...

She had to have certain genetics and the ability to move and sing to get where she is now.

No make-up artist, personal trainer, stylist etc gave her those legs she got, her parents gave her those.

Same goes with sports, i cant teach a kid to run fast or jump high they either got it or they don't.

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 10 Aug 2013 16:45 #51

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
.......... wrote:
But that all just comes with having money and being an entertainer...

She had to have certain genetics and the ability to move and sing to get where she is now.

Which is kinda the point. She's an average-ish singer and that's about it as far as her making music is concerned. Being some attractive package is just fluff for the punters. She wouldn't sell millions of records if she were a humpbacked dwarf. Even if the music sounded exactly the same. Because she is a commodified package aimed at a market for whom enjoying her music - or rather the music the music made for her - needs to be accompanied by the proper commercial package.
No make-up artist, personal trainer, stylist etc gave her those legs she got, her parents gave her those.

Of course they did. Are you saying she's somehow genetically immune to getting a fat arse and chunky legs with blotchy veins? Will you now be saying Sylvester Stallone looks like he does at that age because of some freak genetics?
Same goes with sports, i cant teach a kid to run fast or jump high they either got it or they don't.

They will have raw capabilities that will define their natural ability, but are you seriously suggesting you can't train an unfit kid to get fit or to run faster?

I'm not dissing het btw. Not my cup of tea, but it's not about whether you like the music she releases.
No War But The Class War
Last Edit: 10 Aug 2013 16:46 by Chuck Random.

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 10 Aug 2013 16:57 #52

.......... wrote:
Mike nobody is "rockin out" to KRS-1 or Erykah Badu...

You gotta be careful with cynicism because just saying Rihanna fans are all brain dead sheep won't accomplish anything.

Humans are free to listen to anything they want on youtube so if 100's of millions check for Rihanna so be it.

If that's not what you like well Non Phixion is right there for you or whoever else is feeling that.
I think it's cynical of you to believe that Rihanna and Fiddy are what people want to hear, not just the only music that's aggressively marketed to them.

I never said Rihanna fans are brain dead sheep, if anything I erred towards painting them as victims in this thread.

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 10 Aug 2013 17:32 #53

• Straight Shooter
Chuck Random wrote:
Which is kinda the point. She's an average-ish singer and that's about it as far as her making music is concerned. Being some attractive package is just fluff for the punters. She wouldn't sell millions of records if she were a humpbacked dwarf. Even if the music sounded exactly the same. Because she is a commodified package aimed at a market for whom enjoying her music - or rather the music the music made for her - needs to be accompanied by the proper commercial package.

Yea i'm aware of this but Mike does not who to blame, there is no solution to solve without the core problem.

The Entertainer or The Fan

The Industry or The Consumer

If you and Mike don't wan't to be conspiracy theorist than you better blame somebody!!!!

Chuck Random wrote:
Of course they did. Are you saying she's somehow genetically immune to getting a fat arse and chunky legs with blotchy veins? Will you now be saying Sylvester Stallone looks like he does at that age because of some freak genetics?

You make a good point but Stallone is double her age so that's not a fair comparison...imo

Getting a fat arse and chunky legs with blotchy veins might come in time but right now she's in her 20's which is prime...

As for Sylvester Stallone who fuckin knows what type of steroids he was or is on right now.

Stallone was an actor so he just worked out for his looks which means he avoided the wear and tear of sports and labor.

Chuck Random wrote:
They will have raw capabilities that will define their natural ability, but are you seriously suggesting you can't train an unfit kid to get fit or to run faster?.

If a kid is trying to get a college scholarship in Basketball he will need natural size, strength & skill with good hand eye coordination.

Coaching and working out can only get him as far as his body will take him at that level.

Sure sometimes a gifted kid will get lazy and be out worked but i'm speaking statistically.

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 10 Aug 2013 17:55 #54

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
.......... wrote:

Yea i'm aware of this but Mike does not who to blame, there is no solution to solve without the core problem.

The Entertainer or The Fan

The Industry or The Consumer

If you and Mike don't wan't to be conspiracy theorist than you better blame somebody!!!!

It's simply a product of capitalism. Music is a commodity that is appropriated and sold to target markets. Rhianna occupies the mass market and so has immense resources invested in her.

There is no "somebody" to blame. It is the mechanics of an economic system that exists because people believe in it.

You make a good point but Stallone is double her age so that's not a fair comparison...imo

Getting a fat arse and chunky legs with blotchy veins might come in time but right now she's in her 20's which is prime...

As for Sylvester Stallone who fuckin knows what type of steroids he was or is on right now.

Stallone was an actor so he just worked out for his looks which means he avoided the wear and tear of sports and labor.

I bring up Stallone because he exemplifies the resources that are invested in the product to extend shelf life. Cher or Madonna could also be cited. Should Rhianns remain commercially viable, the same resources will be invested in her. Should she fade into obscurity, she'll still be able to use her personal fortune to stay young.

I think Stallone gets that proper growth hormone, the stuff that costs a fortune.
If a kid is trying to get a college scholarship in Basketball he will need natural size, strength & skill with good hand eye coordination.

Coaching and working out can only get him as far as his body will take him at that level.

Sure sometimes a gifted kid will get lazy and be out worked but i'm speaking statistically.

Of course. But a naturally gifted athlete who doesn't train will fail against a naturally ungifted athlete who does.
No War But The Class War

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 10 Aug 2013 18:08 #55

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Chuck Random wrote:
I think Stallone gets that proper growth hormone, the stuff that costs a fortune.

yep, HGH.
He who is without oil shall throw the first rod.
- Compressions 13.3:1

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 11 Aug 2013 10:09 #56

Charlotte Church has exclusively revealed why she has taken aim at X Factor, describing it as a “machine that kills music”.

Despite being one of those linked with a judging role on the show after the news that Louis Walsh would be leaving the TV talent search, the Welsh star admitted that while she had a meeting with X Factor bosses, there would be no way she would entertain a role on the show.

She blasted: “I got asked to do the X Factor job. I’d rather poke my eyes out with sticks than be a part of the machine that kills music.

“I had a meeting to ask about the level of involvement in the creative process I could have, and they basically said none unless it was in line with what was required.

“I wanted to see just how hard line it was. I found my answer and politely declined.”

When asked if she would ever consider a judging role on a reality show, the singer who appeared as a judge on the BBC’s Over The Rainbow series to find a leading lady for Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Wizard Of Oz, said: “Not unless it was a really great show which wasn’t built on commercial viability and b******* emotional reality stories, which make people vote and make all of the rich men more money.
www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/showbiz/charlotte-church-why-took-aim-5694642
Last Edit: 11 Aug 2013 10:22 by Ultimate Seeker ™.

Social anthropologist says maladaptive brains cause popular culture's focus on celebrities. 13 Aug 2013 03:41 #57

• Straight Shooter
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare