Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Facebook and the potential for social change

Facebook and the potential for social change 20 Jul 2013 17:52 #1

sorry this is quite a negative one.
I'm on facebook and I've liked my local town, they are quite good they do updates very often on lost and found, recommendations for businesses, I expect there is one for every small town maintained similarly by a group of volunteers.

Well I've noticed occasional a few heated discussions taking place in the comments section, it's highly entertaining, there was a huge argument the other week about people getting drunk and walking around half naked in the sun or sleeping on benches, haha.

This week, well today it's this:
repost from Cats Protection:

A cat has been killed on the Harwood Road, it looks like a ginger one. I could not stop and pick it up I had my granddaughter with me. Sadly cars have been going over it!! I have contacted the police and asked if they will pick it up but it depends if they have anyone free. All of our volunteers are at a show this afternoon, so I cannot ask any of them and I feel really bad that I had to drive past it.

If anyone in that area is missing a cat please get in touch with me

Now I thought it was a bit much to call the police, but I thought that was a fairly good use of social networking, some people disagreed:
I hope its the ginger one that's been pooing in my front garden...

Why would anyone expect the police to pick up a dead cat? Maybe next time I see some road-kill I'll call 999 and tell them to come and get it. It'll either rot or the sweeper lorry will deal with it. ...

{boblillywhite=asshole}Yep I agree with that Gary {1st comment above}, These animals don't seem to do much else!! Shame cat owners can' be more responsible and stop cats wandering in other peoples property and doing there business....perhaps Gary you and I should crap in their gardens and see how they like it when their kids tread in it and bring it indoors on their shoes {smiley face}

in response this is the general tone some are more angry:
As the owner of two much loved ginger cats I find some of these comments really unnecessary. Sure not everyone likes cats but there is absolutely no need to make these sort of remarks. I just hope the owner doesn't have their distress made worse by having to read some of this. Heartless twats.

some people have nothing better to do obviously.......you all must be so bored to have time to make such stupid hateful comments about a poor cat being run over....glad im not the owner having to read them.

So reading about 30 or forty comments and bearing in mind the serious disagreements i've encountered in the comments section before, i wonder if social networking in this way could alter people's perception and attitude towards their local community?

It appears to me people will become more cynical, more divided, and more suspicious of people they don't recognize, if they are constantly exposed to the idiosyncratic way people express themselves on the internet.

RIP to the Ginger cat, an unfortunate victim in all of this.
...Molti nemici molto onore...
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Facebook and the potential for social change 20 Jul 2013 23:57 #2

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Off topic from the OP, but one thing I would say is that I've discovered by:
a/ Using a pseudonym and only having a small amount of selected friends so I avoid loads of posts saying "I just boiled an egg" or whatever on my feed.
b/Liking lots of pages that cover issues I'm interested in
Facebook has transformed into a great personalised news service.
No War But The Class War
Last Edit: 20 Jul 2013 23:59 by Chuck Random.

Facebook and the potential for social change 21 Jul 2013 00:02 #3

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Ultimate Seeker ™ wrote:

I hope its the ginger one that's been pooing in my front garden...

What a cunt. Who is this person? I fancy going and doing a big shit in their front garden. And perhaps pissing through their letter box.
No War But The Class War

Facebook and the potential for social change 22 Jul 2013 14:58 #4

Yes, my immediate response was to think, wow there are a load of cunts in my town that I never even knew about, and a know quite a few cunts so it kind of feels like I'm surrounded by cunts but there are some women around too.

My next door neighbour is a complete cunt with a Union Jack in his bedroom window :D
...Molti nemici molto onore...
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare