Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: we are all one or maybe two or more.

we are all one or maybe two or more. 04 Sep 2013 10:56 #1

• i-baster
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I have been thinking about the idea that "we are all one" . I ponder how so many different people and creatures could possibly be part of the same soul or whatever. Are we really all one? Is there maybe two or more and we just have to find the right "one" to be a part of.

I am very interested in Buddhism and things of a spiritual nature but I do question it despite it being pretty much the religion I would say was closest to my ideas.

If we are one with our opposites then do both of us need to shed certain beliefs or is one of us more enlightened whilst the other is way behind evolutionary speaking. I wonder if there is ever a case where we think we might be in need of being more like the other more awake side.

Its late but now my mind is just going crazy trying to figure out how we could all coexist with such wildly different beliefs.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

we are all one or maybe two or more. 04 Sep 2013 11:39 #2

• jonb
Are all your belief's consistent? I have yet to meet a person with a totally consistent view point, yet we all manage to exist.Therefore if we were to imagine a coming together of all things, that there would be inconsistent views would be no more significant than it would be for the individual in our present state.
Last Edit: 04 Sep 2013 11:41 by jonb.
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

we are all one or maybe two or more. 04 Sep 2013 17:35 #3

• sketti
I've tried a few times to try and grasp the 'we are all one' concept and only ever end up confusing myself. It just won't register in this old head.
Last Edit: 04 Sep 2013 17:36 by sketti.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata, jonb

we are all one or maybe two or more. 05 Sep 2013 16:26 #4

• jonb

we are all one or maybe two or more. 06 Sep 2013 19:52 #5

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
i-baster wrote:
I have been thinking about the idea that "we are all one" . I ponder how so many different people and creatures could possibly be part of the same soul or whatever. Are we really all one? Is there maybe two or more and we just have to find the right "one" to be a part of.

I think the concept is predicated upon ego death and rather than being 'one' in an individual sense it's more about the ego dissolving within the infinity of the universe and a sense that the 'one' is the universe with you being an interchangeable component of everything that ever has and ever will exist. Time is a illusion in the way our brains are forced to perceive it and all things happen simultaneously with the ego representing a fleeting moment of the whole perceiving itself subjectively, this occurring both chronologically and simultaneously within the bubble of time, depending on how you perceive it.

At least that's what psychedelic drugs used to tell me.
No War But The Class War
Last Edit: 06 Sep 2013 19:55 by Chuck Random.
User(s) who Liked this post: i-baster

we are all one or maybe two or more. 06 Sep 2013 22:49 #6

• cantata
  • Silver Member
From my own long trog through such matters, I've kind of come to the "theory" (if I dare call it that :D ) that we are all "one" in as much as we are almost all made of the same stuff - Source/Creator/God, call it what you will. But, with that innate ability, we have shaped ourselves into Eternal Beings (I fekkin hope, anyway, coz I plan to ride the Grand National when I pop off).

As Eternal Beings, we have the option of "experiencing" just about anything we want to and so we kind of pick one of the many "amusement arcade games" that are forever on the go at any given time and test ourselves that way. There is a degree of choice, but it can be conflicted by the choice of the other characters in the "game" too - some of whom might not be anything other than characters created to be conflictory (I'm still delving into the "soulless people" and "husks" theories, so more on that when I find out more); so when we find ourselves in horrible times, it might not so much be about having chosen a "dark adventure" before we got here, but encountering a particular character or set of characters who are possibly inherent in "the game" that we have to overcome, block, correct the damage from, etc; but who we should not let stop us no matter what.

Now, it's not so much a Theory, you understand. It's more my take on things having gone into some of the stuff I have (and taken the bits that resonated with me, to use the buzz phrase, and applied them to my own life experiences) so I suspect it's all easily torn apart. But it fits my personal view of things (for now) as I suspect the 54 billion other personal theories of every other individual fit their 54 billion other personal experiences in this one huge amusement arcade, maybe no two of them truly the same.....

Because it all seems to be about absolutely personal experience and interpretation. :D
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
Last Edit: 06 Sep 2013 22:57 by cantata.

we are all one or maybe two or more. 23 Sep 2013 22:18 #7

• cantata
  • Silver Member
www.wakingtimes.com/2013/09/20/hive-mind-invisible-thread/

“We’re all connected.” It’s the ubiquitous mantra of new-agey types. Chances are if you’ve ever watched Oprah, were a fan of the TV show Lost, or have read just about anything I’ve written, you are very familiar with this concept. Along with its close cousin “everything happens for a reason,” it’s pretty much become a cliché that isn’t really given much thought. Yet, how exactly are we all connected?

Sure, we’re all made of the same elements, live on the same planet, and are plugged into the same Internet, but the phrase usually refers to the idea that all of our minds are somehow connected, that our lives are intertwined, that actions taken by you, now, could somehow affect a struggling shoe salesman living in Uzbekistan. I think it’s about time we explored this concept and saved it from the nether regions of trite, hackneyed banality. After all, if the idea that “we’re all connected” is a given, why doesn’t anyone (with the possible exception of Oprah herself) really believe it?

Back in September, 2010, Wired magazine published a discussion between two of its tech writers, Kevin Kelly and Steven Johnson about where ideas come from. Despite the stereotype of the solitary genius toiling away in his basement, the duo argued that great discoveries typically come not from individual minds but from the hive mind, aka, the collective consciousness. History shows that the most game-changing innovations including calculus, the electric battery, the telephone, the steam engine, the radio, and thousands more, were all uncovered simultaneously by different inventors who had no knowledge of one another. As Malcolm Gladwell brought up in a 2008 New Yorker article titled “In The Air,” this phenomenon of simultaneous discovery, innovation, and invention is extremely common. So much so, historians even have a term for it—“multiples.” It’s almost as if all these breakthroughs come from the same, unseen information source, and anyone who’s tuned into it, can have access.

The concept reminds me of a lesson from one of my college anthropology classes that had been wedged somewhere deep within the recesses of my brain. It was about an isolated group of monkeys on some island that had learned to use sticks as tools to get at termites or wash sweet potatoes or something to that effect. Despite no other group of monkeys on record having this knowledge, allegedly, after a critical mass of these monkeys had learned the technique, monkeys on other islands began to use the same technique, as if their minds were somehow all connected.

“Hive mind” experiments have also been done with humans to see if we are similarly connected. In the late 1980’s British biologist Rupert Sheldrake’s The Presence of the Past reported on experiments that he felt proved a collective human memory. In one, a difficult hidden figure puzzle was solved much faster by various groups around the world after its solution had been made known to millions during a British television broadcast. Even though these groups had not seen the broadcast, they were able to solve the puzzle much faster than earlier groups who’d tried before the solution had been aired. It’s as though they all somehow had access to the same info or were sharing one mind.

... and more in the link above.

:pop:

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

Last Edit: 23 Sep 2013 22:21 by cantata.

we are all one or maybe two or more. 23 Sep 2013 22:49 #8

• jonb
I find the above Very VERY disturbing, because should it be true it means somebody else watching 'Eastenders' or the 'Kardashians' is infecting my mind. I do not want to accept this even if it is true, I don't like this, being forced to reject reality, as I am now in the same boat as fundamentalist Christians, and their like, I don't like it somebody save me from this fate!
Don't let it be true!
Last Edit: 23 Sep 2013 22:55 by jonb.

we are all one or maybe two or more. 23 Sep 2013 22:58 #9

• cantata
  • Silver Member
jonb wrote:
I find the above Very VERY disturbing, because should it be true it means somebody else watching I am now in the same boat a fundamentalist Christians, and their like, I don't like it somebody save me from this fate!

Nobody can.... :scaredb:

But, while I don't like the analogy of our brains supposed to being like a computer (it is SO much more. We don't even yet know how much more it is) I have to say that I agree with what he says in the article about ideas turning up when they've been thought about. I swear, when I write a story and I "think up" something as unique as I can, within a short time there are suddenly loads of stories around with the same ideas in them. I've often joked with my sister that when I write I'm going to put on a Lead Helmet to stop those other gits nicking my ideas (and getting them Out There first because *ahem* they actually do the work ... and I do too.... eventually :emb: )

User(s) who Liked this post: jonb

we are all one or maybe two or more. 23 Sep 2013 23:28 #10

• cantata
  • Silver Member
I thought I might get one of those old Hairdryers you used to see women sitting under in the salon; I could sit under it at the computer and my novel ideas would stay my own. :coffee:

we are all one or maybe two or more. 23 Sep 2013 23:33 #11

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
cantata wrote:
I thought I might get one of those old Hairdryers you used to see women sitting under in the salon; I could sit under it at the computer and my novel ideas would stay my own. :coffee:

User(s) who Liked this post: cantata, jonb

we are all one or maybe two or more. 23 Sep 2013 23:41 #12

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Nearly phe.... nearly.... :fro: :teef:

we are all one or maybe two or more. 23 Sep 2013 23:46 #13

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
cantata wrote:

Better?
Last Edit: 23 Sep 2013 23:48 by pheony.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

we are all one or maybe two or more. 23 Sep 2013 23:48 #14

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Erm.... not really. :D (I can't see anything!). :D

we are all one or maybe two or more. 23 Sep 2013 23:50 #15

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
cantata wrote:
Erm.... not really. :D (I can't see anything!). :D

Patience is a virture. :angel:
Last Edit: 23 Sep 2013 23:50 by pheony.

we are all one or maybe two or more. 23 Sep 2013 23:59 #16

• cantata
  • Silver Member
pheony wrote:
cantata wrote:

Better?

Nope. :coffee: Too soft. Too airy. Too like a vacuum cleaner (they'll be sucking me dry of ideas). :O

we are all one or maybe two or more. 24 Sep 2013 00:03 #17

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Well?

we are all one or maybe two or more. 24 Sep 2013 00:11 #18

• cantata
  • Silver Member
A perfect fit, Modom! I'll take it. :D I bet that will stop the busterds coming out with my ideas.

Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare