Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: People are fucking brilliant!

People are fucking brilliant! 29 Sep 2013 00:47 #1

• jonb
To explain what this thread is about-
There is a price to be paid, by those that think status is important.
The price is that they are psychologically damaging themselves.
They believe the lie. The powers that be actually believe they are better than us.
They have 'self blinding Syndrome.'
A story of when I noticed this syndrome.
The was an old man that had ripped virtually everybody off throughout his life and in retirement had a very nice house in Hampstead garden suburb overlooking the heath with a swimming pool and a large beautiful garden.
A friend of mine who I sometimes helped was his gardener. Steve my friend liked the garden because it had a long rose bed with very fine old plants which he loved looking after. Steve worked for the old man's wife and she could see just how talented a gardener Steve was.
The old man could not stand Steve and every time this gardener visited the garden, the old man would spy on him.
What it was that drove the old man mad was that Steve worked hard, for a reasonable payment.
Why you ask would that drive the old man mad?
People have to justify themselves in their own heads, Its OK to rip everybody off if you think that is what they will do to you. Steve is well educated, so the old man knew he was not stupid, Steve drove the old man mad because he could not work out Steve's angle, he knew in his bones Steve must be ripping him off in some way, its just that the old man could not work out how.
Steve enjoyed looking after the Roses.

So lets drive those above mad and post up some stories about how kind and how clever ordinary people can be.
I have yet to meet the toddler who does not enjoy feeding ducks.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, pheony, cantata

People are fucking brilliant! 29 Sep 2013 00:54 #2

• jonb
A father could not afford a wheelchair that would have given his son some mobility, as his son was so disabled. So he made one himself.
http://www.dvice.com/2013-8-31/father-hacks-power-wheelchair-so-his-son-can-navigate-world

I heard this story on the BBC world service last night but have found hardly any other mention of it.
So this is what I remember the boy could only move his fingers and toes at most a few millimetres, so no conventional system would be delicate enough to pick up the child's movements, The father was told he could have a special wheel char made but it would cost hundreds of thousands which was out of his reach.
Then the father was trying to fix an electronic scales and realised the sensor in it would be delicate enough to pick up his sons movements and he could make a controller out of it. So he bought a cheep wheelchair and converted it so his son could sit in it and fixed the controller.. Which his son could work with his toes.
So that his son could learn how to work the wheelchair the father created video games with a similar controller.
Remember this child had never been able to move.
When the boy was first in the chair he moved it a little one way and would stop for a long time and then turn again and might not then move again for half an hour, and then the boy would spin around and around, and after that whenever the boy got in the chair he would spin round and round for a long time. They thought that there might be something wrong with the chair, but then realised he span round because he liked to.
Last Edit: 29 Sep 2013 03:52 by jonb.
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, cantata

People are fucking brilliant! 29 Sep 2013 03:53 #3

• jonb
Last Edit: 29 Sep 2013 03:53 by jonb.
User(s) who Liked this post: Frog, pheony

People are fucking brilliant! 29 Sep 2013 21:56 #4

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Damn! I love this thread and meant to think up one or two examples to pop in here - then got caught up in a HUGE essay..... :emb: But I will have something to add here tomorrow. :) Coz I have known loads of really brilliant, wonderful, fabulous people. :heartflower
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
User(s) who Liked this post: jonb

People are fucking brilliant! 08 Oct 2013 04:44 #5

• jonb
A man and his three mules doing his own thing,

They call me Mule
As he walked through Sacramento, a police officer told him, "This is not okay. Maybe in the gold rush days. But now we have cars." Police stop him constantly, which is a nuisance for Mule. He's not doing anything wrong, at least as he sees it. "We don't attempt to stay anywhere for more than a few days to rest. We don't set up camp structures or anything permanent. We don't collect garbage. We’re not homeless. Our home is the Earth."
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/09/there-is-a-man-wandering-around-california-with-3-mules/279495/
Who is the mule man of America? Mystery of nomad with three pack animals in tow who has wandered across the country for THIRTY years protesting urbanisation
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2418737/Mule-man-America-wanders-country-thirty-years-pack-animals.html
Last Edit: 08 Oct 2013 04:47 by jonb.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, Frog, pheony, cantata

People are fucking brilliant! 08 Oct 2013 21:37 #6

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
People who do lovely things

This week I wrote a piece for the Guardian, about leaving random little notes around London to cheer people up. It was inspired by Hannah Brencher’s initiative called The World Needs More Love Letters, which is all about making the world a little bit of a better place by connecting strangers and, well, just encouraging people to say hello.

www.herlittleplace.com/2013/01/people-who-do-lovely-things.html

Last Edit: 08 Oct 2013 21:38 by pheony.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, cantata, jonb

People are fucking brilliant! 31 Oct 2013 00:49 #7

• jonb
Tokue Hosokawa

Fukushima horse breeder braves high radiation levels to care for animals
Despite the departure of all his neighbours and the unexplained deaths of some of his stock, Tokue Hosokawa refuses to budge

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/oct/27/fukushima-horse-breeder-radiation-animals
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, cantata

People are fucking brilliant! 31 Oct 2013 18:57 #8

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, jonb

People are fucking brilliant! 31 Oct 2013 23:10 #9

• jonb
That is harder to do than you would think, most people would just drive past, an tell themselves she was not at risk. To stop go and help, and take the risk she might turn on you is actually a very brave act. There were a lot of little choices that man made and at each most people would have come up with a reason not to act. Good on him.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, pheony

People are fucking brilliant! 15 Nov 2013 14:20 #10

• jonb
Beautician turns barrister to win David and Goliath High Court battle with construction giant
Georgina Blackwell makes an unlikely candidate to stand up in front of a judge and take on seasoned lawyers in the High Court.
As she herself points out, she's a young, blonde beautician from Essex.
But when her mother's home and business were put at risk in an access dispute with one of the country's biggest homebuilders, the 23-year-old decided she had to fight back.
The court battle revolved around a Grade II listed former school her mother had bought in Halstead, Essex.
Ranged against her was Bellway Homes, one of the country's biggest developers. It wanted to convert land it had bought next door into luxury homes.
But Miss Blackwell emerged triumphant from her confrontation with the developers' legal team.
Not only did she manage to overturn a previous High Court judgment, she also won her mother £75,000 compensation.
'I'm a blonde, 23-year-old beautician from Essex,' she said. 'I know it doesn't look good on paper, but I think they underestimated me.
'I felt scared stiff by the huge courtroom and speaking in front of a High Court judge but I got a surge of adrenaline and thought "They aren't going to intimidate me".
daily mail
Last Edit: 15 Nov 2013 14:22 by jonb.

People are fucking brilliant! 01 Dec 2013 18:45 #11

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Well, I always meant to return to this thread, I knew so many brilliant people along my way, but now I feel a bit pushed to post here.

Today is anyway the second anniversary of my daughter's friend Tiarnon's death - hit by a car on his way to school, he died on the road just two days short of his 13h birthday; so it was an already glum enough day. (Have great adventures, wherever you are Tiarnon :heartflower ).

But then, at my parent's home this afternoon, I read the local weekly paper and saw a notice that my old English Teacher had died just over a week ago. :(

Dear, Darling Mr Hall! In a school that was tough and separatist, no one ever did anything other than LOVE this teacher. We had, like most High Schools, a system of streaming children into groups giving them access to better or worse teaching/teachers. We in the A stream, and to a lesser extent, those in the B stream were alright(ish). The C and D streams were pretty much written off and left to their own devices from the start of their senior education to its end - as long as they did well in cookery, metal work, carpentry and such subjects, that was alright. All streams tended to be kept in line and obedient by some nasty busterds who should never have been allowed near children - Barker, Murphy, Barratt: vicious, violent men and women who would today be prosecuted for some really terrible attacks on what were children at the time, although they saw such children as just "scum".

And then there was Mr Hall. :) Reserved really to teach English to the A stream (who were expected to go to university and who were the only stream even let in on how to obtain and fill in an Ucas form) he was also sometimes required to fill in for absent teachers and so sometimes came across the "lower streams". And to this day, anyone who ever had even ONE class with him a year during their school days at that dump remember him (and really him alone) finding something about them that he held up as "great", "individual", "worth working on", "special" and "having a good future ahead of them". There was never a child scruffy enough, badly spoken enough or "stooopid" enough to offend him. Everyone remembered the heartening things he told them about themselves for years and years after they left.

Me too. I left for college when I was 17. I last saw Mr Hall when I was about 25-27. And yet today, some 30+ years after even having seen him, when I read of his death, I felt that hollowing punch in the solar plexus of having lost something valuable, and I had a little cry (and no doubt will again).

There really aren't many teachers that will have that said about them.

Nite nite, Mr Hall. Bless! :heartflower

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

Last Edit: 01 Dec 2013 18:52 by cantata.
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, jonb

People are fucking brilliant! 01 Dec 2013 18:54 #12

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
:hug: :heart: :rose: xxx
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

People are fucking brilliant! 01 Dec 2013 19:45 #13

• cantata
  • Silver Member
The Ghurkas are fabulous, aren't they? When they give their loyalty and support, it's really and truly given.

:hug:

User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, jonb
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare