Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 24 Nov 2013 11:59 #1

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive

A spate of fatalities prompted an important debate that quickly went downhill. And Boris’s intervention didn’t help

A total of 118 cyclists died in Britain last year, the highest total since 2007. In London alone, six have died in 13 appalling days. Thousands are seriously injured every year. And Lord James of Blackheath knows exactly who is to blame.

On his regular drive along the A3, he explained to the House of Lords on Wednesday, he had three times been confronted with the spectacle of cyclists with an obvious death wish. His nemeses, he explained darkly, “stand in the middle of the road with a camera and defy you to run them down while they photograph you doing it”. To be thus run down, he went on, “is what they are longing for”.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cyclists-vs-motorists-a-phoney-war-between-two-tribes-who-should-be-on-the-same-side-8959679.html

A few of those fatalities are near where I used to live. I happened to walk past after one had happened. (I didn't see anything) I was told that the cyclist had ridden out in front of an approaching lorry...the lorry didn't have time to stop, knocked the man off his bike and crushed his head. I don't know about anywhere else, but in London, cyclists take chances with their lives all the time.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 24 Nov 2013 12:18 #2

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
I wouldn't ride a bike on the roads these days.

We're talking overly aggressive lycra-clad idiots here, trying to make some kind of 'point'. What point guys? That you don't pay any road tax or insurance, but you still have the same right of the road regardless?

Fuck off with that please.

And, as a truck driver....do you think we can just stop like a car can when you pull out in front of us? :roll:
The pen is mightier than the sword
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 24 Nov 2013 12:55 #3

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Cyclists do face a lot of danger from careless motorists and should be treated with respect as road users.

However, would lycra clad cyclists, with all the cool cycling gadgets who think they're in the Tour De France, riding on narrow, winding roads in West Yorkshire please stop riding side by side with a big gap in between them having a chat. Blocking the whole fucking road and then looking indignant when drivers in the queue behind them pass close to them as they try to overtake without ramming oncoming traffic.

Thank You.
No War But The Class War
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, pheony

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 24 Nov 2013 13:05 #4

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Try facing some of those road-users on the back of a horse with a brain of its own. :O Horse riding is the highest of ALL risk sports and the majority of horses and riders die, not over the big fences at The Grand National and Badminton, but on the road where they are left without any other route to take (provision of safe bridleways and off-road riding in this country is DIRE, courtesy of land-owners and farmers who covet the land from hedge to fence for their own purposes, no longer leaving shared pathways around the fields' borders, but using the roads for their own tractors and heavy machinery too). I honestly can't tell you how many times I've had my ankle or hard hat hit by the wing mirror of a car or lorry hurtling past, giving me and the horse only centimetres clearance.

Some car owners (and quite a few of them) DO drive carelessly past cyclists and horse-riders because those two groups "don't pay tax" and, so, seemingly, they almost think they have some kind of right to kill or injure them.

What we NEED for both cyclists and riders is separate lanes/paths that motor vehicles simply can't travel along (they covet everything for themselves, from bye-ways, cycle lanes to hard shoulders).
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 24 Nov 2013 13:24 #5

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
There's a trend amongs teenagers/kids here which includes riding a bike in front of bus or a truck and going past it in the last moment... I've heard it's some sort of 2013 style courage test, the tough guy goes closest of crashing etc.

I don't get it, we didn't have anything like this when we were kids? Fukcen' hell. It pisses me off that some people are completely without brains when they have some kind of wheels under them. I ride my bike from early spring to late autumn, I tend to ride it smart. It's darned best way of moving around here. Faster than car, it's free and its good for health also. Then some fukwits make all bikers look like idiots. Same goes on with motorcycles actually... Few idiots ruin the reputation of the whole bunch.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, pheony, cantata

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 24 Nov 2013 13:43 #6

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
I did some crazy shit on motorcycles back in the day, culminating in an incident when I hit the front of a transit van that pulled out on me because my lights weren't working properly.

At 70mph ffs.
Age 17, and stupid as you like eh.
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, Hexhammer, cantata

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 24 Nov 2013 13:49 #7

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
cantata wrote:
Try facing some of those road-users on the back of a horse with a brain of its own. :O Horse riding is the highest of ALL risk sports and the majority of horses and riders die, not over the big fences at The Grand National and Badminton, but on the road where they are left without any other route to take (provision of safe bridleways and off-road riding in this country is DIRE, courtesy of land-owners and farmers who covet the land from hedge to fence for their own purposes,.

Yes.

But how come you can get fined if your dog poos in the park and you leave it there, but horses get to shit all over the road.

GET OFF THE HORSE, GET OUT A PLASTIC BAG AND CLEAN IT UP!!!! :D
No War But The Class War
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, Hexhammer, cantata

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 24 Nov 2013 14:00 #8

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Chuck Random wrote:
cantata wrote:
Try facing some of those road-users on the back of a horse with a brain of its own. :O Horse riding is the highest of ALL risk sports and the majority of horses and riders die, not over the big fences at The Grand National and Badminton, but on the road where they are left without any other route to take (provision of safe bridleways and off-road riding in this country is DIRE, courtesy of land-owners and farmers who covet the land from hedge to fence for their own purposes,.

Yes.

But how come you can get fined if your dog poos in the park and you leave it there, but horses get to shit all over the road.

People pay for the good stuff, some will even come out and take it off the road, for the garden.
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer, cantata

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 24 Nov 2013 18:32 #9

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Chuck Random wrote:
cantata wrote:

Yes.

Erm, scooze me Our Chuck BUT one of the biggest hazards of riding a newly broken big young horse through the local village is the number of idiots that dash out up behind the horse's arse, bucket and spade at the ready, just hoping for a "treat" for their roses to appear.

See phe's input ^^^

:luvpost:
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 24 Nov 2013 18:44 #10

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
You tell him, cantata. :couch: :D
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 25 Nov 2013 04:59 #11

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
There's a big difference between horseshit and say, dogshit. Or human shit for that matter. :D

I dunno....I don't find the presence...the smell etc of horseshit to be offensive at all. Probably something to do with their diet.

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 25 Nov 2013 06:57 #12

• novum
  • Platinum Member
diamondgeezer wrote:
There's a big difference between horseshit and say, dogshit. Or human shit for that matter. :D

I dunno....I don't find the presence...the smell etc of horseshit to be offensive at all. Probably something to do with their diet.

Dog shit is nasty yes.

And, Id rate sheep shit even better than horseshit on that score. Cows, well below horses. Id take the smell of fresh horse shit over cow shit anyday.

But sheep turds win the non offensive poo shoot out in my book. :yup:
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 25 Nov 2013 07:07 #13

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
This was about bikers and now you guys talk about shit, how convenient. Some bikers = shit anyway.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
Last Edit: 25 Nov 2013 07:08 by Hexhammer.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 25 Nov 2013 07:24 #14

• novum
  • Platinum Member
:cruiselarf:

Shit happens. :cool2:

:gmc:
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

Last Edit: 25 Nov 2013 07:25 by novum.

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 25 Nov 2013 08:49 #15

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Indeed it does.

Anyway, back on topic. Nov, you drive trucks too, so you know just what a nightmare it is doing an emergency stop in one is don't you.

People just don't realise....other motorists in cars never mind cyclists....how horribly bad it is having to suddenly slam the brakes on with all that weight behind you.

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 25 Nov 2013 10:36 #16

• novum
  • Platinum Member
diamondgeezer wrote:
Indeed it does.

Anyway, back on topic. Nov, you drive trucks too, so you know just what a nightmare it is doing an emergency stop in one is don't you.

People just don't realise....other motorists in cars never mind cyclists....how horribly bad it is having to suddenly slam the brakes on with all that weight behind you.

Yep. Never a pro driver but have had a few to freight my own stuff around. Thankfully ive never had to suddenly stop for a cyclist or pedestrian... but cars are another matter, i know exactly what you mean. And a bunch of kangaroos once.

Worst mess ive ever seen (not involved in) was in a 90k zone, i was a safe distance back... lights went orange/yellow and a car that shouldve gone through them decided to slam on the brakes.

Long story short, a prime mover behind that car also expected to make the lights, and well, ive never seen a car so crumpled tbh. The truck had no chance of pulling up as fast as a little car. i dont know what happened to the driver as i dont watch the 6 o clock news but i doubt it ended well and the accident probably got a mention...major accidents usually do in my neck of the woods.

Probably in the car drivers defence they did this (im assuming here) ... because they were worried about red light cameras, which are pretty much everywhere now. Even though the car was nowhere near being fined it wouldve made it comfortably, as well as the truck behind it... but some people dont even understand that, they are scared of being fined or dont trust the technology, see the orange light and slam on the brakes hard... which i never used to see before cameras tbh. (you have to cross the line once the light is red to get fined, theres a fair bit of leeway between when you see an orange light and actually getting fined, i know cause i tend to push my luck sometimes when its safe to do so and never had a traffic light camera fine. :hahano: )

If i had a prime mover behind me like that, well id be very aware. and I avoid getting in the way of truck drivers because i understand. But they just dont teach people this stuff for the most part, and many dont know any better, and yes many just hit the brakes hard with no regard to who or what is behind them.

The other one they do ofc is you give yourself a nice safe distance to the traffic, and other cars will stuff themselves in the gap... you back off again to create some room to the car that just barged infront and it happens again.. and again. :hahano:

1365 = 1

Last Edit: 25 Nov 2013 10:37 by novum. Reason: spellings
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 25 Nov 2013 11:48 #17

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Police launch major London road safety operation after spate of cyclist deaths
Operation Safeway will involve 2,500 officers at 166 junctions around capital throughout period of operation

The operation will involving officers issuing fixed-penalty notices for breaches of traffic rules or further action in the event of more serious infractions

Hundreds of police have been stationed at road junctions around central London at the start of a major road safety operation launched in the wake of six cyclist deaths in less than two weeks.

Operation Safeway will deploy about 650 police officers at 60 junctions during the morning and evening rush-hours, beginning from Monday morning. The scheme will target all road users in "robustly enforcing the law and educating them about dangers", the Metropolitan police said.

Safeway will involve 2,500 officers throughout its period of operation, with 166 junctions targeted overall.

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/nov/25/met-police-london-road-safety-cyclist-deaths

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 25 Nov 2013 12:37 #18

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
diamondgeezer wrote:
Indeed it does.

This morning a car has gone into the back of my daughters car. :roll: They stopped at a zebra crossing to let a pedestrian go and the car behind just kept on going.....right into the back of them. He has taken full responsibility and said 'he couldn't see properly because of the sun, so just kept driving'

Everyone is fine, thank God, but the car is badly damaged. Arggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. and breathe..
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, cantata

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 25 Nov 2013 17:56 #19

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
WildHorse wrote:
pheony wrote:
diamondgeezer wrote:
Indeed it does.

This morning a car has gone into the back of my daughters car. :roll: They stopped at a zebra crossing to let a pedestrian go and the car behind just kept on going.....right into the back of them. He has taken full responsibility and said 'he couldn't see properly because of the sun, so just kept driving'

Everyone is fine, thank God, but the car is badly damaged. Arggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. and breathe..

thank god shes ok, and that winter sun is a nightmare I know...its been hairy these past few weeks driving....love the sun, but its a bitch this time of year

Thank you Wild. She's fine. The real bummer is that the car was on it's way to being sold when it was hit. Now going to try and get it written off.

Cyclists vs motorists: A phoney war between two tribes who should be on the same side 25 Nov 2013 18:05 #20

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
It probably will be written off insurance-wise phe.....backenders usually damage a car beyond reasonable repair, because of the nature of the damage caused.

Good that no-one was seriously hurt. :)