Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can a smart person have a low quality of Life?

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 05 Apr 2014 04:45 #1

• Straight Shooter
Can a smart person have a low quality of life outside of people who are born with clinical depression?

Or does intelligent people constantly thrive and have fun in this world because they will always outsmart cynicism?

Certainly it seems like there is alot of miserable pseudo-intellectuals out there in society.

Serious question i'm looking to hear peoples responses to.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 05 Apr 2014 04:59 #2

• vambo
  • Fresh Member
Intelligent people have to share the same boat as the idiots and everyone in between. As ever, life is what you make it, wherever possible surround yourself with positive people and avoid depressing situations and I would include doom websites and conspiracy forums in there too, it helps to keep your emotions in check.
A pseudo-intellectual is not an intellectual though....:)

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 05 Apr 2014 08:47 #3

• Worzel
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I'd say yes many smart people can have a poor quality of life.
Think maybe it's more about what the universe throws at a person regardless of their intelligence which dictates their way or given lot?

ETA
And of course there is the question of defining quality of life - that again is dependant on where & when you are.
Last Edit: 05 Apr 2014 08:49 by Worzel.

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 05 Apr 2014 14:44 #4

• jonb
You know, the older I get the more I don't believe in the whole concept of smart/stupid people. I knew people who are teaching maths, computer programming at Cambridge and must be presumed to be some of the best in the world at these subjects, but I think even they would admit it is not the first place you would go to, to try to find people with emotional intelligence. The mind is great, but it works by adapting to the way you use it.
I have seen too often, thinking children's ideas being stamped on, which results in children who have learnt not to think. It is not they who are not smart, they have learnt this society does not want people who think and they have adapted themselves to it.
Last Edit: 05 Apr 2014 14:46 by jonb.
User(s) who Liked this post: PFIZIPFEI

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 05 Apr 2014 15:09 #5

• Straight Shooter
Will a smart person never do heavy or manual labor because they will always make easy money with their minds?

Also will a smart person never suffer addiction because they are simply to intelligent to try addictive vices?

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 05 Apr 2014 15:37 #6

• jonb

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 05 Apr 2014 18:30 #7

• TheCatsMeow
  • Fresh Member
I know dustmen with degrees! They couldn't get into the job-market they studied for so I guess, compared to the career path they trained for, it's a major step down financially, although it's certainly better than many people.

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 05 Apr 2014 21:03 #8

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Depends on what "smart" is, depends on "quality of life".

I agree with Jonb - smart/stupid is an amorphous concept. And what's "quality of life"? There's plenty of rich, highly qualified people out there running themselves ragged with stress. There's people with severe learning disabilities who can't dress themselves who live each day with a smile on their face.

People are seeming to think what job you do matters. If you're a happy office cleaner, you have a better quality of life than a stockbroker with an ulcer IMO.

But unfortunately IMO it's the ambitious, cruel and callous people who really thrive in this world and we live in society that idolises greed, acquisitiveness and ruthless ambition.
No War But The Class War
User(s) who Liked this post: vambo

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 05 Apr 2014 21:04 #9

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
.......... wrote:
Will a smart person never do heavy or manual labor because they will always make easy money with their minds?

No.
No War But The Class War

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 05 Apr 2014 21:10 #10

• Worzel
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Chuck Random wrote:
.......... wrote:

No.

Or maybe in that situation, say smart person can earn £30 p/h being smart, it's surely better to work an hour and pay someone to spend 5 hours doing their washing & cleaning.
Doesn't mean to ay the cleaner isn't a doctor of philosophy or such.

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 05 Apr 2014 21:24 #11

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Worzel wrote:
Chuck Random wrote:
.......... wrote:

No.

Or maybe in that situation, say smart person can earn £30 p/h being smart, it's surely better to work an hour and pay someone to spend 5 hours doing their washing & cleaning.
Doesn't mean to ay the cleaner isn't a doctor of philosophy or such.

I not sure it's to do with whether you're smart.
I couldn't pay somebody buttons to do my washing and cleaning because I'd feel like a cunt, which would make me miserable and thus affect my quality of life.
No War But The Class War
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 06 Apr 2014 02:01 #12

• Jagged Hope
  • Fresh Member
Being "smart" (book intelligence/IQ) is not necessarily an indicator of anything. You'd have to factor in their other traits and their life circumstances. For example, 'smart, lazy, bad personal hygiene, socially inept' might have a different outcome to 'smart, empathetic, industrious, tenacious'.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, cantata

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 06 Apr 2014 05:34 #13

• Straight Shooter
Jagged Hope wrote:
Being "smart" (book intelligence/IQ) is not necessarily an indicator of anything. You'd have to factor in their other traits and their life circumstances. For example, 'smart, lazy, bad personal hygiene, socially inept' might have a different outcome to 'smart, empathetic, industrious, tenacious'.

Being smart can just mean having the ability to always put yourself in living situations where you have a nice life.

Smart does not necessarily equate to being rich because like Chuck said some rich people are overstressed.

Also some smart people can randomly suffer personal tragedy or physical ailment but the OP does not apply to them.

Having real world intelligence might just equate to having the ability to earn a good living and find a nice significant other.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 07 Apr 2014 01:47 #14

• novum
  • Platinum Member
.......... wrote:
Having real world intelligence might just equate to having the ability to earn a good living and find a nice significant other.

:herite:
1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 07 Apr 2014 05:08 #15

• thoreau
sooo many variables to consider when thinking about the op - what is meant by smart? what is meant by low quality of life? Is life of low quality still low quality if the person leading it is perfectly happy with their life?

My personal belief is that 'smart' could be so many things, academic smart, common sense smart, street smart,... and quality of life is dependent entirely on how well we are able to meet our own expectations and desires. So for me a smart person could most definitely have a low quality of life if they are unable to meet their expectations. Is the smart person the one who acknowledges their shortcomings and prioritises their desires and expectations in accordance to their means or is the smart one the one who compromises themselves in order to have a higher quality of life measured by those other than themselves?
Freedom of Speech is the liberty to say what you like, not a freedom from any kind of criticism if the views you freely express happen to be ill thought out rubbish.

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 07 Apr 2014 05:27 #16

• jonb
SMART?
1991 I walked into the London Sketch Club bar on a Tuesday night .I was loosing my business, because my clients were going bust, I was just married for a year my home (just bought) through the housing crash was already in negative equity and my wife who had a new job was pregnant and would be unlikely to keep the job. Sitting in the bar were two members of the house of lords, discussing those awful unemployed people. Seeing me it was said 'Dear boy we have heard what is happened to you. can we help' It was said and in such a way that you know a real offer of help was about to come.
So should I shut up and take the help, or identify with the other unemployed people like myself.
I with my big mouth, went bankrupt lost my home, have had nothing but shit of the state for twenty three years, in often bizarre and unusual ways. I own nothing. My wife and kids have had to struggle every inch of the way.
Yes I did the smart thing
Last Edit: 07 Apr 2014 05:30 by jonb.
User(s) who Liked this post: Worzel

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 07 Apr 2014 10:56 #17

• Worzel
  • Voluntarily Inactive
You sure got balls jonb my friend.

A thing I was told a long time ago - simply that 'principles cost'

Let me ask you, now you are older and even wiser :-) would you have changed your decision if you could go back?
Only from the point that you'd be better use to what you were standing for if on the inside than amongst the masses your principle made you become one of.

It's a serious question & in no way questioning your integrity (we all know you ooze that :-)
but asking as I've had a few experiences where better to bite tongue, and suck up to the system/PTB because it ultimately suited my goal.
They think they have you as a finger puppet, but they don't type of thing.

The only analogy I can think of is the character of Fletch in porridge - if that makes any sense at all.

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 07 Apr 2014 11:06 #18

• Straight Shooter
Thanks for all the good responses on the first page everyone....

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 07 Apr 2014 12:10 #19

• jonb
@Worzel The pros and cons of falling out.
problems
First and I can not tell you ho much it hurts knowing what you can do, but not getting the chance. I was in the media and the whiff of me falling, was like becoming a leper, nobody would touch me with a barge pole. You become very alone
Ups
I am time rich, although money poor. which means with the wife beside me we have we able to create for the kids an almost idealisd version of the traditional family home and because of that the children had the stability to be the poorest kids in the street,in an age when the owning of the latest thing is supposed to be all important and grow. I looked at the middle class children at the Rugby club I took my son and daughter to who were bussed from one out of school activity to another, and were so time poor like their parents they never even learnt how to organise their own play, which would have been my situation if I had not fallen out the system.(That club and most of the people of it have helped me so much I cannot express the thanks I have for them).
So in truth I know, That although I have nothing materially at least half the world envies what I do have.

User(s) who Liked this post: Worzel

Can a smart person have a low quality of Life? 15 Jun 2014 17:41 #20

• Straight Shooter
thoreau wrote:
So for me a smart person could most definitely have a low quality of life if they are unable to meet their expectations. Is the smart person the one who acknowledges their shortcomings and prioritises their desires and expectations in accordance to their means or is the smart one the one who compromises themselves in order to have a higher quality of life measured by those other than themselves?

Wouldn't a smart person have the sense to be realistic about their expectations?
  • Page:
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare