Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Post Truth

Post Truth 16 Jan 2017 01:33 #1

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Definition:

ADJECTIVE

Relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief:

‘in this era of post-truth politics, it's easy to cherry-pick data and come to whatever conclusion you desire’

‘some commentators have observed that we are living in a post-truth age’

Reference: en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/post-truth
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Post Truth 16 Jan 2017 01:35 #2

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Post-truth politics

Post-truth politics (also called post-factual politics) is a political culture in which debate is framed largely by appeals to emotion disconnected from the details of policy, and by the repeated assertion of talking points to which factual rebuttals are ignored.

Post-truth differs from traditional contesting and falsifying of truth by rendering it of "secondary" importance. While this has been described as a contemporary problem, there is a possibility that it has long been a part of political life, but was less notable before the advent of the Internet.

In the novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell cast a world in which the state is daily changing historic records to fit its propaganda goals of the day. Orwell is said[by whom?] to have based much of his criticism of this on Soviet Russian practices.

The contemporary origin of the term is attributed to blogger David Roberts who used the term in 2010 in a column for Grist.

Political commentators have identified post-truth politics as ascendant in Russian, Chinese, American, Australian, British, Indian, Japanese and Turkish politics, as well as in other areas of debate, driven by a combination of the 24-hour news cycle, false balance in news reporting, and the increasing ubiquity of social media.

In 2016, "post-truth" was chosen as the Oxford Dictionaries' Word of the Year,[9] due to its prevalence in the context of that year's Brexit referendum and US presidential election.

Reference: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-truth_politics
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

Post Truth 16 Jan 2017 01:36 #3

• novum
  • Platinum Member
'Post-truth' declared word of the year by Oxford Dictionaries

Oxford Dictionaries has declared "post-truth" as its 2016 international word of the year, reflecting what it called a "highly-charged" political 12 months.

It is defined as an adjective relating to circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than emotional appeals.

Its selection follows June's Brexit vote and the US presidential election.

Oxford Dictionaries' Casper Grathwohl said post-truth could become "one of the defining words of our time".

Post-truth, which has become associated with the phrase "post-truth politics", was chosen ahead of other political terms, including "Brexiteer" and "alt-right" from a shortlist selected to reflect the social, cultural, political, economic and technological trends and events of the year.

Read More: www.bbc.com/news/uk-37995600

1365 = 1

Post Truth 16 Jan 2017 03:28 #4

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Lie to Me: Fiction in the Post-Truth Era
By ADAM KIRSCH JAN. 15, 2017

The problem is that, more and more, people seem to want to be lied to. This is the flip side of “reality hunger,” since a lie, like a fake memoir, is a fiction that does not admit its fictionality. That is why the lie is so seductive: It allows the liar and his audience to cooperate in changing the nature of reality itself, in a way that can appear almost magical.

“Magical thinking” is used as an insult, but it is perhaps the most primal kind of thinking there is. The problem for modern people is that we can no longer perform this magic naively, with an undoubting faith in the reality of our inventions. We lie to ourselves now with a bad conscience. When the memoir is exposed as not having “really” happened, we want our money back.

www.nytimes.com/2017/01/15/books/lie-to-me-fiction-in-the-post-truth-era.html

1365 = 1

Post Truth 16 Jan 2017 03:31 #5

• novum
  • Platinum Member
The Problem With ‘Self-Investigation’ in a Post-Truth Era

"the “post-truth era” — the phrase reveals a radical new relationship between citizen and truth. Millions of people like Welch are abandoning traditional sources of information, from the government to the institutional media, in favor of a D.I.Y. approach to fact-finding."

Read More: www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/magazine/the-problem-with-self-investigation-in-a-post-truth-era.html

1365 = 1

Post Truth 16 Jan 2017 03:36 #6

• novum
  • Platinum Member
The Fallacy of Post-Truth

Liberals’ belief in their superior ability to govern has never had the facts on its side.

by Rune Møller Stahl & Bue Rübner Hansen

Brexit and Trump’s victory hit the liberal media like a thunderbolt of stupidity. How could voters defy the warnings of so many pundits, wonks, and fact-checkers? Almost unanimously, they answered: We live in an age characterized by post-factual politics. Pushed by major media organizations like Forbes and the New York Times, “post-truth” recently became Oxford Dictionaries’ new word of the year. A recent think piece in Huffington Post labeled “Post-Truth Nation” stated this idea succinctly: “the greatest problem of our future is not political; it is not economic; it is not even rational. It’s the battle of fact versus fiction.”

Liberal writers deploy their own different varieties of post-truth — the social media echo chamber, the prevalence of fake news, the public’s indifference to blatant political lies, or the problem with millennials — to explain what happened in the United Kingdom and the United States this year.

As it happens, the facts simply don’t support the diagnosis that we have suddenly entered a post-factual landscape. Reactionary panics, collective hysteria, and political manipulation have been with us for a long time, and we should be skeptical of claims about the epidemic of Russian-backed fake news or the idea that social media lost Hillary the election.

In fact, liberals’ nostalgia for factual politics seems designed to mask their own fraught relationship with the truth. The supposedly honest technocrats and managers — who enacted neoliberal measures with the same ferocity as their right-wing counterparts — relied on a certain set of facts to displace the material truths they refused to acknowledge.

More here, read the rest :right: www.jacobinmag.com/2016/12/post-truth-fake-news-trump-clinton-election-russia/

Rune Møller Stahl is PhD fellow at University of Copenhagen, Department of Political Science, working with international political economy. He is a former political adviser to the Red-Green Alliance in the Danish parliament. Bue Rübner Hansen is a postdoctoral fellow at Aarhus University, Denmark.

1365 = 1

Last Edit: 16 Jan 2017 03:37 by novum.

Post Truth 16 Jan 2017 03:44 #7

• novum
  • Platinum Member
The Left Decries Our ‘Post-Truth’ Society While Pushing The Ideas That Fuel It
By D.C. McAllister

What I find particularly fascinating regarding Oxford Dictionaries’ announcement is the reaction from liberals. Suddenly, people who hold to philosophies that actually undermine and reject objective truth are deeply concerned about emotions dictating facts.

I also find it interesting they claim “post-truth” is fueled not by establishment or mainstream media, which have been peddling false narratives for years to advance a liberal agenda, but social media.

So what does all this mean? I think it’s obvious: very few people trust the media, and there is certainly a crisis of truth in America. The shining light is the flight to alternative media. It shows that people are looking for some measure of truth. The downside is, too often, they’re merely searching for affirmation of what they already feel and believe (and they often find it). We have to admit that all sides are guilty of this to one degree or another.

Given that it’s hard to judge who exactly is looking for truth and who isn’t, and that facts are difficult to discern in the haze of propaganda that is so rampant everywhere—from TMZ, to Reddit, to BuzzFeed, to The New York Times, and all the media and social sites in between—I’d like to cut through the fog and focus on a foundational issue that is driving this chaos.

Post-truth is not the fault of social media or of current politics. These are symptoms, not the disease. The disease is an American society that has closed its mind to objective truth and is now being forced to live with the conflict and chaos that ensues.

Read More: thefederalist.com/2016/11/18/left-decries-post-truth-society-pushing-ideas-fuel/

1365 = 1

Post Truth 16 Jan 2017 16:22 #8

• Guessed
  • Fresh Member
Post -truth, interesting way to look at things.

For many years the press reported events without bias.
They would then editorialize to express their personal opinions.

Down the line they began to report events selectively ignoring or marginalizing anything and everything that varied from their personal opinions.
Their editorials became about how they had been right all along and how the event they reported proved it.

Now they make up "facts" surrounding events and sometimes even the "event" they are "reporting" on.
Editorial have become vitriol spewed out against any who disagree or would dare to challenge their "facts".

In order to have any idea what is going on in the world, or far that matter in your own country, state, county, neighborhood you have to participate.

Only then will you have a position from which to judge (for yourself) the information that others are spinning or outright lying about.

Reading others "facts" that they gleaned from others and spin to suit them is no going to yield the truth.

Post-truth? No. It's the obscured-truth era.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, Exorcist

Post Truth 16 Jan 2017 16:32 #9

• Exorcist
novum wrote:
Definition:

Post-Truth is an ADJECTIVE

Relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief:

‘in this era of post-truth politics, it's easy to cherry-pick data and come to whatever conclusion you desire’

‘some commentators have observed that we are living in a post-truth age’

Reference: en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/post-truth

Fixed it 4 ya...... :P
NUKES ARE A HOAX
TRUTH IS HATE FOR THOSE THAT HATE THE TRUTH
Meet the New Boss.....Same as the Old Boss

http://www.stopthecrime.net/Henry-Makow---Illuminati----(2008).PDF
(((ROCCO))) is a Sayanim Troll
(((HotRod))) is a (((ROCCO))) sock account
MrAnderson is a Bollock….lmao
User(s) who Liked this post: novum

Post Truth 16 Jan 2017 16:46 #10

• GMP
  • Silver Member
Guessed wrote:

Down the line they began to report events selectively ignoring or marginalizing anything and everything that varied from their personal opinions.
Their editorials became about how they had been right all along and how the event they reported proved it.

Now they make up "facts" surrounding events and sometimes even the "event" they are "reporting" on.
Editorial have become vitriol spewed out against any who disagree or would dare to challenge their "facts".

In order to have any idea what is going on in the world, or far that matter in your own country, state, county, neighborhood you have to participate.

Only then will you have a position from which to judge (for yourself) the information that others are spinning or outright lying about.

Reading others "facts" that they gleaned from others and spin to suit them is no going to yield the truth.

DIF was 'post-truth' before ever that word was invented.
TZ not so much but a bit.
See my "We are the opinion movement" thread.
:)

Post Truth 16 Jan 2017 16:57 #11

• bd
  • Silver Member
  • bikerdruid
GMP wrote:
Guessed wrote:

My thoughts exactly, GMP.
Truth takes backseat to opinion, in today's world.
Icke certainly pioneered this concept.
Batshit crazy ideas are now straws, grasped at by the ignorant masses.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."
Last Edit: 16 Jan 2017 16:58 by bd.
User(s) who Liked this post: Guessed

Post Truth 16 Jan 2017 17:04 #12

• Guessed
  • Fresh Member
GMP wrote:

I'm still waiting for my half of the royalties. You ain't holdin' out on me are ya?

Post Truth 16 Jan 2017 17:10 #13

• Guessed
  • Fresh Member
bd wrote:
Truth takes backseat to opinion, in today's world.
Icke certainly pioneered this concept.
Batshit crazy ideas are now straws, grasped at by the ignorant masses.

And the opinions are opinions of opinions.

I once recommended a book regarding early American history to a person who was commenting on the origins of religious freedom in America.
He told me he didn't read books he got all the information he needed from Youtube.
User(s) who Liked this post: bd

Post Truth 16 Jan 2017 21:59 #14

• Exorcist
Guessed wrote:

......more like the Promoted Lie Age/Era.

Edit

Agreed :arowdn:
NUKES ARE A HOAX
TRUTH IS HATE FOR THOSE THAT HATE THE TRUTH
Meet the New Boss.....Same as the Old Boss

http://www.stopthecrime.net/Henry-Makow---Illuminati----(2008).PDF
(((ROCCO))) is a Sayanim Troll
(((HotRod))) is a (((ROCCO))) sock account
MrAnderson is a Bollock….lmao
Last Edit: 16 Jan 2017 22:46 by Exorcist.

Post Truth 16 Jan 2017 22:06 #15

• novum
  • Platinum Member

......more like the Promoted Lie Age/Era

Both.

1365 = 1

Post Truth 16 Jan 2017 23:09 #16

• annabelle
  • Silver Member
and in what is termed the 'post-truth' era, the rise of the troll generation begins.....