Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: A hobby, a study, and a learning experience my cat's.

A hobby, a study, and a learning experience my cat's. 01 Oct 2012 15:33 #1

• ric
  • Fresh Member
All though my life animals have been a part of it, my own pet's, helping others with theirs, or trying my best to relocate wild animals back into the wild, and away from areas where they are considered pests, because of garbage can raiding, or nesting in attics, or startling folks in general, but mainly my hobby and study has been the domestic cat.

My observations have been fun for me and a learning experience, one of the main things I have come to realize is socialization is maybe the most important ingredient in the ability of you and a cat to interact, if you don't have a familiarity and a trust with them, all else is not going to work.

I have made many observations, and eventually will try to intelligently write them down in a book I guess, one other thing that is really strange and this one shocked me.

I have a momma cat who had her litter, and she put them somewhere, well I thought to myself how it the heck can I get these kittens close by to help protect them from things around, well I thought I would try something this is what I did .

I placed the mom cat in the spot I wanted her, and laid her down on a blanket, and nudged her belly as kittens would, speaking to her the whole time in a soft tone, and making her try to understand this is where I need her and the kittens to be.
The next morning I woke up early and her and the kittens were in that spot,on the blanket,all safe that amazed me.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible, MrsGood

A hobby, a study, and a learning experience my cat's. 01 Oct 2012 18:18 #2

• Gilly
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Ace!

They're great. I used to have a dog and several cats.

We didn't realise one evening that one of the cats was giving birth behind the sofa, until a kitten popped out which was cold, and not moving - at which point he (Spike) ran to us, crying, and made us follow him. The kitten survived after it had been rubbed and warmed up, and I couldn't believe Spike (the, 'Wanted dead or alive', sausage robber) playing midwife. The cat was a new mum who didn't take naturally to it, so he was cleaning each kitten as it was born, and pushing them up to her teats. :D
User(s) who Liked this post: ric, MrsGood

A hobby, a study, and a learning experience my cat's. 18 Oct 2012 04:42 #3

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm more of a dog person....I love dogs and dogs love me back. I've never been bitten by a dog, and I've come across some pretty dangerous fucked-up ones in my time, believe me.

NO dog is naturally aggressive to humans....its mistreatment and abuse that makes a dog that way. Training a dog to be vicious is, in my book, abuse.

I like cats too, used to have an un-neutered tom (I just couldn't bear to have the poor guy snipped lol)...and that was one mean bad-ass cat :hahano:

They are strange creatures....they see things that we don't for a start. A mate had a siamese, and it would be loking at and walking around objects in the room that weren't there. Or rather, they WERE there, but only the cat could see them.
The pen is mightier than the sword
User(s) who Liked this post: Gilly

A hobby, a study, and a learning experience my cat's. 18 Oct 2012 04:58 #4

• MrsGood
  • Fresh Member
both of my cats are half Siamese half black jack the lad tom, and they are so awesome, they luv chaos, love cuddles fetch a small ball and bring it back, a trick they did without my encouragement, shred curtains chairs , follow you every where, take and even like rough play from a lil boy.
Dogs are cool too,after my last dog died a couple of years ago(old age), i went with what my lil boy loved; cats, so have two awesome cats in our family now :cool:
User(s) who Liked this post: Gilly

A hobby, a study, and a learning experience my cat's. 18 Oct 2012 09:33 #5

• ric
  • Fresh Member
diamondgeezer wrote:
I'm more of a dog person....I love dogs and dogs love me back. I've never been bitten by a dog, and I've come across some pretty dangerous fucked-up ones in my time, believe me.

NO dog is naturally aggressive to humans....its mistreatment and abuse that makes a dog that way. Training a dog to be vicious is, in my book, abuse.

I like cats too, used to have an un-neutered tom (I just couldn't bear to have the poor guy snipped lol)...and that was one mean bad-ass cat :hahano:

They are strange creatures....they see things that we don't for a start. A mate had a siamese, and it would be loking at and walking around objects in the room that weren't there. Or rather, they WERE there, but only the cat could see them.

We have a cat and dog population explosion, and many are being abandoned because of individual owners economic situations, more are being gave up to the shelter and some are just turned loose, I myself find it hard to have a good tom , whose your buddy fixed it feels like a personal thing your doing to a friend, the female cat is really needed to be fixed imo.

But when I see cute little kittens having to be euthanized it rip's my soul out, in my opinion they should be set free in the wild and at least have a chance to make it.

As for other critters I can catch three or four raccoons a night if I stayed at it, and then relocate them, skunks are also invading more now for some reason, opossums and armadillos seem to not be as plentiful, cats and kittens are everywhere, and hogs are a big menace and danger to people wandering in the woods, if they walk up on some.
Last Edit: 18 Oct 2012 09:35 by ric.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, Gilly

A hobby, a study, and a learning experience my cat's. 18 Oct 2012 23:28 #6

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Australia has a feral cat problem also.

Its made even worse by the fact that when adult male cats find kitten litters, they kill the males...leaving the females.

The male cats will clamp down on the neck of the kittens and cut their throats open...they actually pick out the males in the litter and leave them for dead...while not touching the female cats. I guess its so the adult males dont have future competition. So you are left with many more female cats and then they keep breeding.

Ive seen that lions do a similar thing in the wild, they kill cubs that arent theres.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
User(s) who Liked this post: Gilly, ric