Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 21 Nov 2013 10:51 #1

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
THE ENGLISH language has hit about one million words and it's expanding fast.

Most of them are very boring, very long and often the names of some new molecular wotsit beginning with "poly" or "tri". But in the world of everyday usage our language is shrinking like the polar ice caps. The vocabulary of today's texter with little interest in language beyond the keypad is minute. But what a world of words we are letting slip through our fingers! Whatever happened to slubberdegullion or blatteroon (for meanings see below)?

Someone cares about these priceless relics. Journalist Safia Shah has written an illustrated children's story book called Carnaby Street's Great Uninvited: Around The World In 80 Years, a book that employs many gorgeous words that are fossilised and crumbling. They are cunningly hidden in the story (it comes with a pocket magnifier) so you have to hunt for them.

"Some are old-fashioned and have gone out of usage, others are family words that had been handed down from generation to generation and people weren't sure if they were proper words," she writes in her introduction. "Let's snatch begrumpled from the brink of obscurity... We want to open our wink-a-peeps and champion their cause."

Many of the words are old-fashioned and have been forgotten in modern day dialec

www.express.co.uk/news/weird/444222/Borborygmus-ramfeezled-and-zamzodden-Weird-and-wonderful-words-we-ve-forgotten

"SCURRYFUNGE: hurriedly tidying one's house before the cleaner arrives"...Love it. :D
Last Edit: 21 Nov 2013 11:09 by pheony.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 21 Nov 2013 16:47 #2

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Pantaloons.

Curmudgeon.
The pen is mightier than the sword

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 22 Nov 2013 00:22 #3

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Flange. :D

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 22 Nov 2013 00:37 #4

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
:D
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 22 Nov 2013 10:58 #5

• jonb
The article makes me angry. Why not because of what it seems to be about words being lost, but rather the hidden agenda, the way it slants your thinking with out even noticing it.
But although there are now one million words available to us (exclude scientific terms and it's half that) a working vocabulary of a mere 7,000 words would be good going these days. Most make do with less than half that number. Why?

We see this paragraph in the article, and do not question it. That old agenda that ordinary people do not speak English well. It is Bollocks! If you move up the social hiearchy the biggest thing you have to learn is not that the upper classes are using words you have not heard before, but rather if you use some words it will mark you down, and actually you will not have to learn new words but rather clip your language.
There has long been a story that the average working class Londoner only uses about 900 words. This story was set up in the Victorian era to ratify the class system. Showing the working class as being totally inferior. You don't even have to check how many words an average Londoner uses to know it is a lie, why? Just ask your self how many words there are in Cockney Rhyming slang.,

And this agenda that we ordinary people can't invent words, that it is only the refined upper classes who are educated properly who can do this fits exactly to the agenda.
Now think about the fuss made over a working class ill educated woman using the word 'Minging' did anybody question Mr Lear for Runcible?
When you heard the Lyric ' Mr fantastic very Bombastic' did you think my what a very educated singer he must be to use such a traditional word.
I am very Mithered about this!
We have fantastic words, and it is not ordinary people who are not using them, but the upper classes which prohibit their use.
Even the Sun to get its message across to the ill educated has to use as many different words in each edition as there are in the King James Bible.
Last Edit: 22 Nov 2013 11:00 by jonb.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, pheony

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 22 Nov 2013 11:54 #6

• novum
  • Platinum Member
diamondgeezer wrote:
Pantaloons.

Pants? Just a guess. :hahano: Sounds/looks like pantelones (spanish) or the similar panteloni in greek and italian.

pheony wrote:

Hey! :spank: Those of us who are mechanically minded still use that! :coffee: And its not even dirty really. :nono:

I just welded a couple of flanges onto some exhaust headers the other day. :larf:

These are what header flanges look like on the head end. :coffee:

pair of flanges, collector end...

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Last Edit: 22 Nov 2013 11:57 by novum.

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 22 Nov 2013 12:01 #7

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Urban Dictionary - Flange :D

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flange
1. Flange
Term used for describing non-deseribale vaginas.

Would you close your legs please, I can smell your rancid flange from here.

The sight that greeted me was not appealling - red, sore-looking spots surrounded her swollen flange.

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 22 Nov 2013 12:21 #8

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Yes, I know. :roll: :taptap:

:rofl:
1365 = 1

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 22 Nov 2013 12:42 #9

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
I thought you might.... :D

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 22 Nov 2013 13:48 #10

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
novum wrote:
diamondgeezer wrote:
Pantaloons.

Pants? Just a guess. :hahano: Sounds/looks like pantelones (spanish) or the similar panteloni in greek and italian.

pheony wrote:

Hey! :spank: Those of us who are mechanically minded still use that! :coffee: And its not even dirty really. :nono:

I just welded a couple of flanges onto some exhaust headers the other day. :larf:

These are what header flanges look like on the head end. :coffee:

pair of flanges, collector end...

When I thought of the word 'Flange' I did of course think of it as "a projecting flat rim, collar, or rib on an object, serving for strengthening or attachment or (on a wheel) for maintaining position on a rail." But that's neither here nor there....I just like the sound of the word. :yup: .
User(s) who Liked this post: novum

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 22 Nov 2013 13:52 #11

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
diamondgeezer wrote:

1. Flange

The sight that greeted me was not appealling - red, sore-looking spots surrounded her swollen flange.

Well I never knew that.

You just can't help yourself can you, DG? :evil:

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 22 Nov 2013 14:23 #12

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Every society is made up of social classes, and these social classes are more commonly economic classes as well. Therefore, it is important to note that money has an influence on language just as it does on almost every other aspect of life. That being said, this paper only seeks to differentiate language between the social classes, not define its development from an economic standpoint. Differences between social groups are referred to as “sociolects”. It is also important to note that those in a particular class may speak differently from others within that same class, because they are aspiring to be in the higher class. This is referred to as “class aspiration”.

The distinctions in language between the different social classes are referred to as “social language codes”. This idea was created by Basil Bernstein, a well-known British sociolinguist. In his paper, “Elaborated and Restricted Codes: Their Social Origins and Some Consequences” he referred to the proletarian (lower/working classes) language usage as “restricted code” (p. 57). He states that this type of code focuses on unity, because it allows for stronger bonds between fellow working class citizens. It is characterized by people behaving in a way that creates distinction between different roles such as gender and age roles. People using the “restricted code” do not have to be as precise in meaning because the meaning is generally shared by all other working class members. As stated earlier it focuses on unity because it relies on shared knowledge and shared experiences rather than explicitly saying what one means to say......

jngtr2.hubpages.com/hub/Social-Distinctions-in-Language

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 22 Nov 2013 21:23 #13

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
pheony wrote:
diamondgeezer wrote:

1. Flange

Well I never knew that.

You just can't help yourself can you, DG? :evil:

No. :P :D

(You knew that meaning of the word all along anyway didn't you? ;)

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 22 Nov 2013 21:42 #14

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Of course she did. :coffee:

And on a completely unrelated note, heres a song ive got stuck in my head for some reason, think i might give in and watch it on the youtubes.

1365 = 1

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 23 Nov 2013 00:17 #15

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Yes, I knew a Flange was a vagina, but what I didn't know..... was that it was a rancid one.

Happy now you two. :coffee:
User(s) who Liked this post: novum

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 23 Nov 2013 00:45 #16

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
A guy I used to work with used to go on about the 'quality flange' he'd has over the weekend every monday morning.

He was from Burnley however, so what do you expect? :D
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

Borborygmus, ramfeezled and zamzodden: Weird and wonderful words we've forgotten 23 Nov 2013 00:50 #17

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
:D

Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare