Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals.

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 06 Dec 2013 13:55 #1

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
The common perception of purebred dogs is that they are more striking, beautiful animals than they would be without human intervention.
However, that notion has been thrown to the dogs.
Strong photographic evidence has emerged that shows how 100 years of breeding has actually warped the good looks of the original hounds.

Size matters? The English bulldog is now a hefty animal compared to 100 years ago

The English bulldog – the star of the Churchill insurance ads – has become a real brute thanks to breeding.
Musculus said: ‘The bulldog’s monstrous proportions make them virtually incapable of mating or birthing without medical intervention.’

Face facts: The bull terrier now has a different-shaped skull

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2519314/How-century-breeding-improvement-turned-healthy-dogs-deformed-animals.html
Last Edit: 06 Dec 2013 13:56 by pheony.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 06 Dec 2013 15:27 #2

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
The over breeding of 'pedigree' dogs causes them serious health issues, fact.

'Mongrel' dogs (your everyday Heinz 57) live longer healthier and happier lives.
The pen is mightier than the sword

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 06 Dec 2013 17:38 #3

Mixed breed dogs are best.

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 06 Dec 2013 22:16 #4

• jonb

Half collie half basset.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata, Worzel, jaxdreaming

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 06 Dec 2013 22:20 #5

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Those eyes :heartb: Beautiful as always, jonb.
User(s) who Liked this post: jonb

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 06 Dec 2013 22:44 #6

• Worzel
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I have an Irish collie x rescue from pup.
My very best friend, asks for nothing, freely gives love without question or ulterior motivation.
Most of the people I encounter in life could a lot from him !
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, diamondgeezer, pheony, cantata, jonb

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 06 Dec 2013 23:17 #7

• jonb
Yes, Tony is a rescue dog, from Ireland and was going to be put down that day. He was I think like many pretty puppies mistreated in the pound, which took him several years to get over.There are so many dogs that need homes I am not sure about anybody breading their dogs, but the pedigree thing is evil, as is the exploitation of greyhounds where there still is encouragement to put down dogs rather than let them be homed.
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, cantata

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 06 Dec 2013 23:20 #8

• cantata
  • Silver Member
It's not really the Breeders' faults. It's the Kennel Club. (Although the Breeders were stupid enough to follow the KC and to value the kudos they supposedly got from the KC). the Kennel Club sets out the remit of how each breed should appear to be "top of its type" and the breeders have stupidly chased that remit, leading to an over-doing of the supposedly "perfect traits" and injuring the animals.

There are still breeds around that value NOT having ANY DEGREE OF KC in the pedigree at all. My own Ruby-dog is a proper, old type (smaller, stockier, shorter haired, true) English Springer Spaniel and it's a source of pride with her breeders that her "book" goes back over 200 years and has absolutely no KC dogs (Bench Dogs, they call them, as opposed to Field Dogs) in it anywhere.

There are many breeders who want to introduce the "old types" of the breed where they can, to return vigour to the dogs.... but the KC won't let them register the pups if there is a non-KC dog involved; and that would ruin some breeders financially.

The mixing of the breeds brings strong "hybrid vigour" and gives the dogs the best of both breeds - which is why they are getting so popular. But, like the labradoodle..... the KC is getting involved in readying them to become eligible for KC registration..... and around the loop the dogs will go again.

:(
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, jonb, syxx

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 06 Dec 2013 23:23 #9

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Greyhound breeding scandal

greyhound-watch.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/greyhound-breeding-scandal.html

Bled dry - the fate of greyhound racing's 'wastage'

www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2013/s3886470.htm
Last Edit: 06 Dec 2013 23:25 by pheony.
User(s) who Liked this post: jonb

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 06 Dec 2013 23:30 #10

• Worzel
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Yes the pedigree thing, out of hand, and snob value (kennel club) has a lot to answer for.
Saw a sausage dog the other week, poor thing was so long his belly was rubbing the floor.

A friend of mine is passionate & vocal in the fight against greyhound racing - it's worse than you may think. they have to be tattooed on the ears, so some of these sick bastards chop the ears off when it is no longer wanted for racing then dump the dog.

And don't get me started on bull terrier type dogs, I had to intervene incapacitate one recently, it flew out of the darkness and no two ways about it was going to attack my little dog.
Had it pinned to the floor (I was very lucky to avoid being bitten), moments later it's tattooed moron of an owner lurched out of the darkness (bet the fucker had only learned to walk upright a month ago) saying oh it's ok mate she's really friendly.
He could tell by my demeanour it was best he & his friendly dog put some distance between them and I.
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, cantata, jonb

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 06 Dec 2013 23:31 #11

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Worzel wrote:
My very best friend, asks for nothing, freely gives love without question or ulterior motivation.

Yes.

I had a labrador/alsation cross (sadly died of old age 4 years ago) who was like that to me.

Was truly gutted when he died....cried whilst burying him in the back yard. Still miss him.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata, jonb

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 06 Dec 2013 23:39 #12

• Worzel
  • Voluntarily Inactive
diamondgeezer wrote:
Worzel wrote:

Yes.

I had a labrador/alsation cross (sadly died of old age 4 years ago) who was like that to me.

Was truly gutted when he died....cried whilst burying him in the back yard. Still miss him.

Been there many times, historically until this one have always taken on old unwanted dogs, just let them live out remainder be it a year, two or 3 with as much love & comfort as can be given to them.
Downside of that is they are never around for a prolonged period of time, and it's the most awful of experiences to say goodbye.
I've had blind ones, deaf ones, wobbly ones, scabby ones, you name it - but all special & not deserving the lot they had in life.
Never planned on a pup this time around, never planned on a dog at all, but an amazing bit of karma happened one day, a meant to be thing, but that's a story for another day.
Last Edit: 06 Dec 2013 23:42 by Worzel. Reason: forgot something
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, pheony, cantata, jonb

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 06 Dec 2013 23:54 #13

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Worzel wrote:
diamondgeezer wrote:
Worzel wrote:

Yes.

Been there many times, historically until this one have always taken on old unwanted dogs, just let them live out remainder be it a year, two or 3 with as much love & comfort as can be given to them.
Downside of that is they are never around for a prolonged period of time, and it's the most awful of experiences to say goodbye.
I've had blind ones, deaf ones, wobbly ones, scabby ones, you name it - but all special & not deserving the lot they had in life.
Never planned on a pup this time around, never planned on a dog at all, but an amazing bit of karma happened one day, a meant to be thing, but that's a story for another day.

I would LOVE to do this. Really LOVE to. But I'm an emotional coward and couldn't face the short term aspect of it. I wish I could. :(

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, pheony

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 07 Dec 2013 00:02 #14

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't think you are an emotional coward cantata.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 07 Dec 2013 00:05 #15

• Worzel
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I would LOVE to do this. Really LOVE to. But I'm an emotional coward and couldn't face the short term aspect of it. I wish I could.

In so much as you know that's part of the equation from day one, when you see the joy, feel the reward, the love, know you are doing something good you kindof forget it.
It's never easy and i'll be honest I am haunted by those terrible & inevitable times. But, that is something that cannot be changed, you have to take that responsibility & do what is right for your friend and quality of life.
Invariably they know before you do, and it breaks your heart, but you can only do all that you can.
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, cantata, jonb

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 07 Dec 2013 00:09 #16

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Worzel wrote:
I would LOVE to do this. Really LOVE to. But I'm an emotional coward and couldn't face the short term aspect of it. I wish I could.

In so much as you know that's part of the equation from day one, when you see the joy, feel the reward, the love, know you are doing something good you kindof forget it.
It's never easy and i'll be honest I am haunted by those terrible & inevitable times. But, that is something that cannot be changed, you have to take that responsibility & do what is right for your friend and quality of life.
Invariably they know before you do, and it breaks your heart, but you can only do all that you can.

@DG - yeah, I am luvvy-luv. That's why I still live alone 14 years after my relationship breakdown. :D

@ Worzel - I think I might get to this one day. And soon, I hope. I think it would be an honour to take some little old dog (or cat) and house it happily and comfortably through its last weeks/months/years. I absolutely LOVE old dogs. They have such an air of "knowing" about them. They do what they want, trying not to offend anyone along their way, but not ever so bothering if they do or not. :D Awww. I could hug little old dogs all day long.

User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, pheony

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 07 Dec 2013 00:40 #17

• jonb
I've only owned two dogs, my first misty was ten when she came to us and was the original mongrel, the closest description was an Egyptian Dingo, She had been in and out of Battersea dogs home five times, and suffered some really bad treatment. We only had her with us for two years but, the shortness of time was worth it. She taught me everything about being a dog owner.
I was just starting to go down with CFS, and collapsed in the street with her after a walk in the forest. Laying incapable on the pavement, a man came over and trust a few pounds into my hand saying that she is the perfect tramps dog, I could not speak and he got back in his car and drove off.
She loved chasing sticks,and when my kids were playing rugby, she would go round to all the spectators and get them to play fetch a few times and then move on to the next person, however being old, the stick she picked would get smaller and smaller until when she was really tired she would offer a few blades of grass to be thrown. She was adopted by the club as a mascot and proudly wandered about in a club shirt.
(I will post pictures when I find them)
After owning Misty I can say the rewards are not about how long they are with us. That dog had so much, you could be around another dog for a hundred years and it would not be as much as a month with misty. I know how you feel though Cantata, my dad was the same or worse which is why I did not have a dog as a boy.
I know I will not get another dog after Tony, as Worzel implied the Staffy owners around here are so bad I don't think it is safe to bring a new dog into this area.
Lastly, but most importantly More power to your elbow Worzel, I am very impressed.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, pheony, cantata, syxx, Worzel

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 07 Dec 2013 00:44 #18

• cantata
  • Silver Member
jonb wrote:
I've only owned two dogs, my first misty was ten when she came to us and was the original mongrel, the closest description was an Egyptian Dingo, She had been in and out of Battersea dogs home five times, and suffered some really bad treatment. We only had her with us for two years but, the shortness of time was worth it. She taught me everything about being a dog owner.
I was just starting to go down with CFS, and collapsed in the street with her after a walk in the forest. Laying incapable on the pavement, a man came over and trust a few pounds into my hand saying that she is the perfect tramps dog, I could not speak and he got back in his car and drove off.
She loved chasing sticks,and when my kids were playing rugby, she would go round to all the spectators and get them to play fetch a few times and then move on to the next person, however being old, the stick she picked would get smaller and smaller until when she was really tired she would offer a few blades of grass to be thrown. She was adopted by the club as a mascot and proudly wandered about in a club shirt.
(I will post pictures when I find them)
After owning Misty I can say the rewards are not about how long they are with us. That dog had so much, you could be around another dog for a hundred years and it would not be as much as a month with misty. I know how you feel though Cantata, my dad was the same or worse which is why I did not have a dog as a boy.
I know I will not get another dog after Tony, as Worzel implied the Staffy owners around here are so bad I don't think it is safe to bring a new dog into this area.
Lastly, but most importantly More power to your elbow Worzel, I am very impressed.

Awwwwww. :bawl: :hug:

User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 07 Dec 2013 02:22 #19

• syxx
  • Fresh Member
A German Shepherd saved me from being run down by a motor when I was three. He was a military dog slated for 'disposal' until my uncle talked his Sargent into letting him bring him back home. My mother, newly divorced, inherited him (my uncle said that no single woman's home should be without the protection that a good dog offered).
He was beautiful and gentle, and so quiet.... I'll never forget him.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, pheony, cantata, jonb, Worzel

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals. 07 Dec 2013 02:31 #20

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Aww, that's lovely, syxx. :)

I had a dog named, Sheba. A Springer Spaniel cross. She was a birthday present, when I was about 11yrs old. She was a tiny pup from a dog rescue centre. God, did I love her...I will always love her. It broke my heart when she died from old age. I'll never forget her. :)
Last Edit: 07 Dec 2013 02:33 by pheony.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, cantata, jonb, Worzel