Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mind your language: 2013's words of the year

Mind your language: 2013's words of the year 28 Dec 2013 22:41 #1

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive

New terms entered common parlance with exuberant frequency this year. But what the most popular ones tell us about ourselves is not especially flattering

Miley Cyrus really worked her butt off this year and her efforts were at last recognised, albeit in unlikely quarters. Both the Collins and Oxford English dictionaries have shortlisted “twerking” – a term popularised almost single-handedly (or double-cheekedly?) by the 21-year-old singer – as one of 2013’s Words of the Year.

Miley Cyrus really worked her butt off this year and her efforts were at last recognised, albeit in unlikely quarters. Both the Collins and Oxford English dictionaries have shortlisted “twerking” – a term popularised almost single-handedly (or double-cheekedly?) by the 21-year-old singer – as one of 2013’s Words of the Year.

Created by members of the New Orleans bounce music scene during the 1990s, twerking (see definitions, below) was inflicted on a mass audience by Ms Cyrus this summer at the MTV Awards, where she controversially buffed her behind on the crotch of alleged sexist Robin Thicke. It was not, however, the word of the year.

For Collins, the overall winner was “geek”, a familiar classic freshly redefined. Where once the word denoted a loser, dork, dweeb or nerd, it now, Collins claims, means simply “a person who is knowledgeable and enthusiastic about a specific subject”. For instance: a food geek, a fashion geek, a football geek, a Game of Thrones geek.......

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/mind-your-language-2013s-words-of-the-year-9027153.html
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Mind your language: 2013's words of the year 28 Dec 2013 22:58 #2

• Generic
  • Fresh Member
Is it me, or do new/trendy words just get more infantile and "ugly" as time goes on....

Selfie. Wii. Tweet. Twerk.

:coffee:
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

Mind your language: 2013's words of the year 28 Dec 2013 23:09 #3

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
No, It's not just you, Generic. The words are ugly.

I have posted before, that one of my favourite words is, Flange. They just don't make em like that anymore!

Mind your language: 2013's words of the year 28 Dec 2013 23:32 #4

• cantata
  • Silver Member
I know that my daughter and her friends don't seem to have any words in their language containing the letter "t" anymore. They'll see me "lay-ah"; after an illness always feel "beh-ah"; sometimes write short "leh-ahs" to each other. I don't geh ih.
:conf:

I like the words "jeopardy" and "intrigue" very much. So much, I write them into all of my stories. :D
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
User(s) who Liked this post: syxx

Mind your language: 2013's words of the year 28 Dec 2013 23:49 #5

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
:D

Mind your language: 2013's words of the year 28 Dec 2013 23:56 #6

• cantata
  • Silver Member

Oh yeah... and a couple of the lads from her school think I'm "dank" - which, in their world, is apparently good. :conf: (In my world, it's still cold, mouldy and dripping with condensation).
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
User(s) who Liked this post: I AM ALL I AM

Mind your language: 2013's words of the year 29 Dec 2013 00:24 #7

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
cantata wrote:

Oh yeah... and a couple of the lads from her school think I'm "dank" - which, in their world, is apparently good. :conf: (In my world, it's still cold, mouldy and dripping with condensation).

"dank"...never heard that one before. :D

Mind your language: 2013's words of the year 29 Dec 2013 01:23 #8

• I AM ALL I AM
  • Silver Member
Generic wrote:
Is it me, or do new/trendy words just get more infantile and "ugly" as time goes on....

Selfie. Wii. Tweet. Twerk.

:coffee:

G'day Generic.

Would it also mean they have become, dare I say it, generic? :D ;) :D

Such use of language has been well indoctrinated into the masses by implanting visions into their heads from afar ...

tele-
1 , 1. a combining form meaning “reaching over a distance,” “carried out between two remote points,” “performed or operating through electronic transmissions”: telegraph; telekinesis; teletypewriter.

vi-sion
1. a. The faculty of sight; eyesight: poor vision.
b. Something that is or has been seen.
2. Unusual competence in discernment or perception; intelligent foresight: a leader of vision.
3. The manner in which one sees or conceives of something.
4. A mental image produced by the imagination.
5. The mystical experience of seeing as if with the eyes the supernatural or a supernatural being.
6. A person or thing of extraordinary beauty.

... through what I have heard described as 'the idiot box' more commonly known of as the television, or telly. ;)

Catchphrase, to catch you in the phrase you express.

Monkey see, monkey do. See it and do it enough times and it becomes a habit, which over time becomes ingrained through your habit-at, that is, where you perform your habit at.

I love words. :joint:

Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.
V for Vendetta

Words and magic were in the beginning one and the same thing, and even today words retain much of their magical power.
Sigmund Freud
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into.

When paired opposites define your beliefs, your beliefs will imprison you.

Flare = Censor & Promoter of Bishop Williamson

truth-zone.net/forum/research-zone-forum-feedback-and-faq/73338-flare-censor-promoter-of-bishop-williamson.html#357334
User(s) who Liked this post: Generic

Mind your language: 2013's words of the year 29 Dec 2013 01:37 #9

• I AM ALL I AM
  • Silver Member
If you can be 'nowhere', is it merely a matter of space that allows you to become 'now here'?

So if someone is 'nowhere', does it mean that they have no space?

If there is no space for them in their residence, the physicality, who has taken up the space?

Yes, I wrote that whilst smoking a joint ... :joint: ... I had the space. :D
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into.

truth-zone.net/forum/research-zone-forum-feedback-and-faq/73338-flare-censor-promoter-of-bishop-williamson.html#357334

Mind your language: 2013's words of the year 29 Dec 2013 01:57 #10

• Generic
  • Fresh Member
I AM ALL I AM wrote:

:chuckle: Probably.

This username was chosen to be deliberately non-commital and, um....gen.......er...........ric :yup:

I agree....language is very powerful....why else would NLP be so popular among the elite?
User(s) who Liked this post: I AM ALL I AM

Mind your language: 2013's words of the year 29 Dec 2013 03:02 #11

• I AM ALL I AM
  • Silver Member
Generic wrote:
I AM ALL I AM wrote:

:chuckle: Probably.

This username was chosen to be deliberately non-commital and, um....gen.......er...........ric :yup:

I agree....language is very powerful....why else would NLP be so popular among the elite?

G'day Generic.

:D The choice of username worked. ;)

If the mind empowers thought, the body empowers actions, is it the soul that empowers the word?

Would then controlling the language, word, that a soul expressed control the soul?

Does our self expression empower us, or disempower us?

Or asked another way, does our self expression maintain our freedom or enslave us?

Words are indeed powerful, as are words expressed within the form of a question. Questions have answers, answers represent knowledge, to ask questions, use words, is to gain knowledge, and knowledge is empowering.

Mind your language: 2013's words of the year 29 Dec 2013 10:29 #12

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Now this is a fun topic! The trend in Finland is to mix up English words to everyday talk, twist them to fit Finnish language, kind of non-words really, for most of these internet is to blame. Its kind of funny and annoying at the same time,

If I would have make a personal list of words of the year, that would result into very long and tedious post, which I'm not going to do right now. (I'm late from rehearsal.) But anyway, thanks to you guys and couple of PC-games and a lot of time wasted speaking and typing in English, my vocabulary has widened like millionaires waist and there seems to be no end to it. :D

I'll get back onto this subject when I get back home.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder