Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Room 237 Kubrick

Room 237 Kubrick 30 Dec 2013 04:47 #1

• i-baster
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I just got around to seeing Room 237 on Netflix. It is a documentary covering various views on hidden meanings and messages shown in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. The film had me fascinated. I did not buy all the theories and perhaps there was a degree of stretching a short analysis into a feature length but it had me gripped all the same.

The film covers theories on native American genocide the Holocaust and stuff of that nature. It also covers the idea that Kubrick was essentially owning up to faking the moon landing footage.

This is my current obsession.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, pheony, cowboy

Room 237 Kubrick 30 Dec 2013 05:02 #2

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Top film i-baster. ;)

I loved the scene with the axe...humour amongst all the other meanings... :D

The pen is mightier than the sword
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

Room 237 Kubrick 30 Dec 2013 09:24 #3

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
I am only recently getting into the Kubrick mythology and film symbology... I was ploughing through the DIF thread on Kubrick for a while and it was very interesting in it's comparisons of scenes from Kubrick's films by using overlays and running his films backwards etc I definately believe that Kubrick's films were vehicles for messages about something as they are packed with symbology...
I was going to post on DIF how so many shots in Kubrick... rooms/windows/doorways etc. look like Solomon's temple but never got round to it...

There are better pics around than this to show what I mean but I've really got to get up and get on with things so no time at the mo to look... :)
I think Kubrick was high up in the Hollywood elite and used esoteric symbology as a matter of course...

I've seen the film Room 237 and it was one of those films that was just too short :) I could have watched it for hours it was fascinating...
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

Room 237 Kubrick 30 Dec 2013 09:32 #4

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
Bit of a gory one but check out the window... it has pillars on each side like a mini entrance to a temple... and the angles of the shot are set up to give a calm feeling which makes the bloodied bodies more shocking... like a cognitive dissonance... I get that a lot in his films... the backdrops to the action are always so exact in their geometry...

Jeez... the first pic I chose didn't show... the second one put up about 1000 lines of text... anyway here it is...
Last Edit: 30 Dec 2013 09:48 by jaxdreaming.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, pheony

Room 237 Kubrick 30 Dec 2013 14:47 #5

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Funnily enough, just this morning I got a classic film for my dvd collection in the post that I bought just before Christmas - Paths Of Glory, starring Kirk Douglas.... and it's by Stanley Kubrick. I never knew that. When I watch it, I'll look out for the surroundings and see if he was "up to this sort of thing" earlier in his career.

Certainly, this film's theme is very Kubrick-ian:

"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
Last Edit: 30 Dec 2013 14:53 by cantata.

Room 237 Kubrick 30 Dec 2013 21:01 #6

• HYPERTlGER
  • User is blocked
Rabbits caught in the headlights of visible matter, mesmerized, and oblivious to the dark matter hiding behind it all...Getting closer....faster and faster

Room 237 Kubrick 30 Dec 2013 21:30 #7

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Scores of people have written thousands of words trying to explain The Shining in great detail - all of whom have different points of view, and none of whom cover "everything", none of whom have discovered the Higgs boson of the film. The more you look, the less you know. I can't offer you the secret, but I can give you a brief tour of some of more puzzling anomalies hidden within The Shining...

Driving The Big Wheel Beyond The Veil

Notice in this one frame from Danny's second Big Wheel ride around the Hotel hallways we see for a split-second the stained glass windows from the vast Colorado Lounge. In this split-second we can make a physical connection between the Lounge and this floor, which includes the famous hexagonal carpet and of course taboo Room 237. A very expensive split-second because it requires a working second storey to be added to the already incredibly large Lounge set. This gives you an inkling of the absurd lengths Kubrick will go to make a tiny subliminal detail that will go unnoticed by almost everyone watching the picture. Also notice the strange diaphanous curtain hanging down from the stairwell. We are moving beyond the veil...

thequietus.com/articles/09316-the-shining-stanley-kubrick-11-things-you-might-not-notice-room-237
Last Edit: 30 Dec 2013 21:31 by pheony.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

Room 237 Kubrick 30 Dec 2013 22:44 #8

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
The pen is mightier than the sword

Room 237 Kubrick 30 Dec 2013 23:36 #9

• cowboy
  • User is blocked
You can watch Room 237 on youtube also:

There is also a 'making of' docu on room 237:

Enjoy. :)
User(s) who Liked this post: jonb

Room 237 Kubrick 31 Dec 2013 00:52 #10

• i-baster
  • Voluntarily Inactive
A couple of the points I didn't buy into that seemed rather far fetched. The Kubrick face in clouds I did not see and the erection on the guy as he shakes Jack Nicholson's hand was reaching in my mind. I liked the Stephen King car from the novel wrecked and I was intrigued by the genocide and holocaust stuff. The moon landing stuff is interesting although Google says the moon is 238000 miles not 237000 although I understand it varies.

Room 237 Kubrick 31 Dec 2013 00:55 #11

• i-baster
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Oh and thanks for the responses. I love movies especially when they have little clues or jokes hidden in them. You can find whole new worlds rewatching good movies or listening to DVD commentaries etc.