Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sunscreen

Sunscreen 04 Jan 2014 18:10 #1

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Because this deserves a thread of its own. :)

The pen is mightier than the sword
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, syxx, Worzel

Sunscreen 04 Jan 2014 18:15 #2

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, syxx

Sunscreen 04 Jan 2014 19:58 #3

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
  • Currently researching things they don't want you to know
Never used it myself, worked outside in my youth to, growing up on a farm, and remember some articles about it, in the alternative media of course, been actually a cause of cancer. I don't even think we even knew about it, and my parents and grandparents never used it at all either.

As ever, do your own research, make your own mind up, and here is one from a few years ago on Natural News to get you going....

www.naturalnews.com/001264.html
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible, Hexhammer

Sunscreen 04 Jan 2014 20:36 #4

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Well if you look at it like this;
How long have humans been around?
How long has sunscreen been around?
User(s) who Liked this post: Paul Tootall

Sunscreen 05 Jan 2014 03:55 #5

• cowboy
  • User is blocked
Paul Tootall wrote:
Never used it myself, worked outside in my youth to, growing up on a farm, and remember some articles about it, in the alternative media of course, been actually a cause of cancer. I don't even think we even knew about it, and my parents and grandparents never used it at all either.

As ever, do your own research, make your own mind up, and here is one from a few years ago on Natural News to get you going....

www.naturalnews.com/001264.html

Unfortunately, there is not a single citation of any kind, scientific or otherwise, in the essay. The author's claim is totally unfounded.

"I've been saying this for years. Now the research is finally coming out to prove it: sunscreen use actually causes cancer, according to comprehensive new research published in the U.K.

There are two primary reasons why sunscreen causes cancer. First, and most importantly, the use of sunscreen blocks the skin from absorbing the sun's rays. That's what it's supposed to do, right? Yes, but in doing so, it also blocks the creation of all-essential vitamin D, the nutrient that the human body desperately needs to prevent as many as 25 chronic diseases. Notably: prostate cancer, breast cancer, osteoporosis, schizophrenia and heart disease.

It turns out that most people living in the Northern hemisphere (which probably includes you) are chronically deficient in vitamin D. By wearing sunscreen, they're depriving their bodies of perhaps the single most important nutrient they need to stay healthy.

The second reason sunscreen causes cancer is because it contains toxic chemicals in the form of artificial fragrance, chemical colors and petroleum products used as fillers and stabilizers. These chemicals are absorbed through the skin where they enter the bloodstream and wreak havoc on the immune system. Artificial fragrances, just by themselves, may contain dozens of carconigenic chemicals that damage the liver, the heart, and even promote systemic cancer.

Of course, the sunscreen manufacturers continue to deny all this while propagating the ridiculous myth that, "There's no such thing as a healthy tan." In reality, there's no such thing as a healthy pale person! A tan is a bonafide sign of good health, and a deep tan actually protects you from cancer.

All this has come out in this comprehensive new research report entitled, "Sunlight Robbery." To summarize the findings of the report, "To ensure optimum levels of vitamin D and optimum health people in the UK need to sunbathe whenever they can wearing as few clothes as possible while taking care not to burn. Vitamin D obtained from food provides only about 10% of our needs.""

Well said. So much for the myth that sunshine is somehow bad for you.
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2014 03:57 by cowboy.

Sunscreen 09 Jan 2014 00:29 #6

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
The 'song' isn't really about suntan lotion factor whatever....its about how to try and live your life. :)

Wear sunscreen

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it
The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists
Whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable
Than my own meandering experience, I will dispense this advice now

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth, oh, never mind
You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth
Until they've faded but trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back
At photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now
How much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked
You are not as fat as you imagine

Don't worry about the future
Or know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum
The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind
The kind that blindsides you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday
Do one thing every day that scares you

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts
Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours

Floss

Don't waste your time on jealousy
Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind
The race is long and in the end, it's only with yourself
Remember compliments you receive, forget the insults, if you succeed in doing this, tell me how
Keep your old love letters, throw away your old bank statements

Stretch

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life.
The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives
Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't
Get plenty of calcium
Be kind to your knees
You'll miss them when they're gone

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't
Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't
Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the 'Funky Chicken'
On your 75th wedding anniversary
Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much
Or berate yourself either
Your choices are half chance, so are everybody else's

Enjoy your body, use it every way you can
Don't be afraid of it or what other people think of it
It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room
Read the directions even if you don't follow them
Do not read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly

Get to know your parents, you never know when they'll be gone for good
Be nice to your siblings, they're your best link to your past
And the people most likely to stick with you in the future

Understand that friends come and go
But a precious few, who should hold on

Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle
For as the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young
Live in New York City once but leave before it makes you hard
Live in northern California once but leave before it makes you soft

Travel

Accept certain inalienable truths
Prices will rise, politicians will philander, you, too, will get old
And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young
Prices were reasonable, politicians were noble
And children respected their elders

Respect your elders

Don't expect anyone else to support you
Maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse
But you never know when either one might run out

Don't mess too much with your hair
Or by the time you're 40 it will look 85

Be careful whose advice you buy but be patient with those who supply it
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past
From the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts
And recycling it for more than it's worth

But trust me on the sunscreen

Sunscreen 09 Jan 2014 01:37 #7

• Worzel
  • Voluntarily Inactive
The 'song' isn't really about suntan lotion factor whatever....its about how to try and live your life.

Was one of the first mp3's I acquired on a 56k modem (sorry Baz)
It's a truly inspirational piece of music well words but hey.

Also sad in way, because you only get it when your old enough to reflect perhaps you should have made different choices?

The mark of any well written song is if you know it well enough it will have different meanings depending on your mood or state of mind.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

Sunscreen 09 Jan 2014 02:47 #8

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Also sad in way, because you only get it when your old enough to reflect perhaps you should have made different choices?

Yes.

I often reflect on that, the different choices I could (should) have made....but then I remember that if I had made those different choices, then I would not be the person I am...I'd be someone different.

A better or worse someone different? Who knows.

There is no point in regret.

Life is like throwing pebbles into a pond regarding your choices....the ripples go on for ever, and you have to accept that.. ;)
User(s) who Liked this post: syxx, Worzel

Sunscreen 11 Jan 2014 16:04 #9

• Mart
  • Fresh Member
Why doesn't instances of skin cancer congregate near the equator?
or along agricultural belts?

why does the massive rise in skin cancer in the latter half of the 20th century closely correlate to the use of sunscreen?

The idea that the sun causes skin cancer makes no sense at all.
there may be few peer reviewed studies linking skin cancer with sunscreen but when your told an obvious lie as though it's fact, an independent mind will draw their own conclusions.
Last Edit: 11 Jan 2014 16:05 by Mart.

Sunscreen 11 Jan 2014 16:11 #10

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
Mart, the increasing lose of Common Sense and the way people listen to the Cult of the White Coat has led to many things wrong in the world.

Scientists now know, 95% of people will believe them if you tell them a Scientific Study Said so!!!
User(s) who Liked this post: Mart

Sunscreen 11 Jan 2014 16:17 #11

• Mart
  • Fresh Member
Paul Tootall wrote:
Mart, the increasing lose of Common Sense and the way people listen to the Cult of the White Coat has led to many things wrong in the world.

Scientists now know, 95% of people will believe them if you tell them a Scientific Study Said so!!!

That's so very true, reminds me of the time I tried to tell my sister about vaccine damage, my nephew and niece are both autistic
but convincing someone that doctors aren't necessarily informed or independent can be difficult, especially when that realization means coming to terms with personal responsibility.

Sunscreen 11 Jan 2014 16:22 #12

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
I think I need to start an alternative healthcare thread at some point. I have been fixing myself 1 step at a time since the NHS nearly killed me in 2006 to 2009 and I have been fixing myself since 2009.

Step 1... Ignore anyone called Doctor... they are just practising... they haven't got a clue really... just prescribe and hope after reading up on the drug.

Step 2... Start reading yourself...
User(s) who Liked this post: Mart

Sunscreen 11 Jan 2014 16:26 #13

• Mart
  • Fresh Member
Paul Tootall wrote:
I think I need to start an alternative healthcare thread at some point. I have been fixing myself 1 step at a time since the NHS nearly killed me in 2006 to 2009 and I have been fixing myself since 2009.

Step 1... Ignore anyone called Doctor... they are just practising... they haven't got a clue really... just prescribe and hope after reading up on the drug.

Step 2... Start reading yourself...

That's a great idea, finding truly independent information of health can be difficult, and if it's first hand knowledge that's a valuable resource
I'd like to know more about how you have improved your health.

Sunscreen 11 Jan 2014 17:42 #14

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Its hard to make my mind about this... My mom always insisted me using the stuff when I was kid, but as soon as she noticed that I don't burn, I didn't have to put it on any more. I have inherited my moms skin quality I guess, I really don't burn at all, I just change into a mulatto. :larf:

But sunscreen, no thanks, I don't need it. Funny thing is, those how I've seen use it all the time, seem to also burn all the time.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder

Sunscreen 11 Jan 2014 21:48 #15

• cowboy
  • User is blocked
1. Correlation =/= causation.

2. Alternative explanations.

To wit: there has been a 'massive' increase in the use of tanning beds in the 'latter half' of the 20th century.
Mart wrote:
Why doesn't instances of skin cancer congregate near the equator?
or along agricultural belts?

why does the massive rise in skin cancer in the latter half of the 20th century closely correlate to the use of sunscreen?

The idea that the sun causes skin cancer makes no sense at all.
there may be few peer reviewed studies linking skin cancer with sunscreen but when your told an obvious lie as though it's fact, an independent mind will draw their own conclusions.
Last Edit: 11 Jan 2014 22:54 by cowboy.

Sunscreen 11 Jan 2014 22:25 #16

• cowboy
  • User is blocked
This reminds me quite a bit of david's lecture material: 'doctors destroy health, universities destroy knowledge, religion destroys spirituality' (paraphrased of course).

I should've known better but now that I am no longer under the spell of snake charmer Icke, I now once again realize that such sweeping generalizations in broad strokes are not only intellectually lazy, but part and parcel of the cultist's easily spotted agenda of creating an illegitimate us vs them divisive mentality.

Now as far as the term 'science,' once again, we have to draw some distinctions if we are going to draw useful and informed conclusions.

1. medical doctors are not research scientists. They are practitioners. They don't perform any basic research at all in their ongoing practice, and typically don't conduct any research in their undergraduate or graduate curricula, outside of mixing basic cocktails in chemistry labs. Any scientific research information is gained second-hand through textbooks, not through direct experience.

MD curricula are notoriously and severely limited. For example, a typical MD has taken zero coursework in nutrition, yet are de facto looked upon as 'experts' in nutrition. A more principled medical doctor will refer patients to trained nutritionists if they are asked, but most will try to dispense information although they are not in any way qualified to do so.

2. Basic research. This is an enormous topic of discussion which cannot possibly be covered in a couple of paragraphs. However, it is important to note that reaching precise scientific conclusions about human populations is notoriously difficult, even impossible, since in just about every instance, controlled experiments are impossible. A number of governments (US, Germany, Japan) have attempted experimentation and have rightly been condemned for such practices.

As a result, most all of scientific research on human populations is correlational research, and therefore it is often difficult to impossible to make reliable and valid causal statements. As one example, there is a thread on this forum about the dangers of drinking. Yet, Japan has the highest life expectancy in the world, despite the fact that the adult population drinks VERY heavily. The Okinawans also drink, but have the highest percentage of active centenarians in the world. The lesson to learn here is that there are so many variables that affect health (the quality of social relationships, food, drink, air quality, stress, even noise levels) that it is often impossible to isolate the impact of a single factor on health outcomes.

It's easy to scapegoat doctors, or "mainstream science." It's much more work to actually sift through the actual research studies and arrive at a necessarily tentative, uncertain conclusion based upon correlational, longitudinal research with limited samples and research budgets.

I honor this quest to discover the truth, and SMH at those who claim they have it without doing the work.

tl, dr: anyone who claims that they have definitive knowledge of the effect of sunscreen on human health is misinformed. This is because it is exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, to isolate (ie 'control' for) the effects of sunscreen from: diet, exercise levels, stress and stressors, family genetics, cognitive patterns (optimistic/pessimistic mindset).

It takes far more time, discipline and effort, but I think it's worthwhile to actually read some of the literature on sunscreen if we want to do a serious investigation. Far more reliable than relying on new age truisms, ie the evils of 'dark suits' and 'white coats,' or relying on 2nd hand reports from journalists and new age websites.
Paul Tootall wrote:

Last Edit: 12 Jan 2014 11:02 by cowboy.
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer