Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Disagreements/discussions/and personal zen

Disagreements/discussions/and personal zen 21 Apr 2014 06:46 #1

• i-baster
  • Voluntarily Inactive
So for many years on and off I have been discussing topics on the internet.. At it`s worst moments I have let the ignorance of the people I have debated get me angry and frustrated. I am older now and much calmer about strangers who disagree with me and wind me up intentionally or not. I have not achieved full enlightenment perhaps but I feel much more balanced and closer to zen.

I wonder though if I should even be engaging in such discussions. The point of such a discussion is to perhaps learn a different point of view and maybe influence a change in the other persons views but do I really expect to change anybody`s views? Even a little? Not really. Do I wish to just find other people who agree with me? No I don`t think that is a goal.

I enjoy a good debate but I find that most, or at least most in my experience, people do not debate so much as they try to take you down or belittle you. I don`t think that is productive for anybody and I wonder how it might impact my personal well being and peace.

Negativity you know. Life has negativity in abundance and it seems like a bad idea to encourage such negativity.

With this in mind however do we get any enjoyment from less intense topics. I am not sure i would like to always be in conflict but on the flip side of that coin I do not want a boring echo chamber.

Of course balance is important. If somebody is on a forum and feels all there is is negativity then it is perhaps best to move on to new things.

I understand that there is another story here. I am perhaps your negative. You might think that fucker makes this forum so negative. Well sorry about that but I am not sorry for expressing my views.

I do think we should attempt to find common ground with those whom we appear to have none with though.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Disagreements/discussions/and personal zen 21 Apr 2014 09:51 #2

• thoreau
i like a good debate - the emphasis on 'good'

what makes a debate/discussion imho is when the people putting forward their views are doing so not to change peoples minds but to explore a certain subject - when people are prepared to listen and respond respectfully and without malice.

It is rare to find people capable of doing this and discussions turn into spats which is what tends to annoy me - hypocrisy annoys me and evangelists annoy me because imho there is no discussion to be had with them.

My favourite discussion (yes i have one) I have ever had was with a staunch christian about the bible - she was not trying to convert me nor did she become offended by my views - nor did i try and convert or become offended and neither of us insulted or attempted to belittle the other. It felt like a really positive exchange of views

I am not sure I will ever be 'enlightened' I shall merely experience new things that effect my thinking or cement it - I shall fuck up, be inconsistent, get things wrong and perhaps choose one or two paths I shouldn't - which makes me human and I am ok with that.
Freedom of Speech is the liberty to say what you like, not a freedom from any kind of criticism if the views you freely express happen to be ill thought out rubbish.
User(s) who Liked this post: i-baster

Disagreements/discussions/and personal zen 21 Apr 2014 10:03 #3

• i-baster
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Those good discussions with respectful disagreement and open minds are rare it seems but I know what you mean. I find a lot of people (perhaps myself included) have already formulated their opinions. Every now and then I will discuss a topic that I am undecided on. Usually the topics I do not have a view on i just read.

I personally hate it when you are trying to discuss a subject and the response is "watch these videos" or something like that. I generally prefer discussion to be flowing and not scripted. I think there are some good discussions to be had here it is just a question (for me) of avoiding those who I think are just trying to put me down in some way. They have decided I am this or that which is something they do not like and their only desire is to expose me in some way as this or that. That is pointless to me.. If we disagree why can we still not relate on other topics.

Enlightenment for me is simply about dealing with the bad and enjoying the good to the maximum.
User(s) who Liked this post: thoreau

Disagreements/discussions/and personal zen 21 Apr 2014 14:26 #4

• Straight Shooter
Debate is always good regardless if you believe it to be positive or negative.

Because it's always educational to the people who view or listen to it.

Disagreements/discussions/and personal zen 21 Apr 2014 14:52 #5

• novum
  • Platinum Member
.......... wrote:
Debate is always good regardless if you believe it to be positive or negative.

Because it's always educational to the people who view or listen to it.

"Letting a hundred flowers blossom and a hundred schools of thought contend is the policy for promoting the progress of the arts and the sciences and a flourishing culture in our land."

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352