Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Ice Bucket Challenge

The Ice Bucket Challenge 21 Aug 2014 22:28 #1

• Annakissd
  • Fresh Member
So I've been seeing, stuff all over the place related to people throwing a bucket of ice over themselves, and for some reason, it's gone crazy viral, even Bill Gates getting involved :cool:

Why is this such a global hit, this Ice Us thing?

In my quest to find out what it's all about, I found out that the person that helped start it died a few days ago.

Still slightly perplexed though.

Here's the story.
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11049254/Man-behind-Ice-Bucket-Challenge-dies-in-diving-accident.html
One of the individuals behind the Ice Bucket Challenge to support Lou Gehrig's disease research has died in a diving accident.

Corey Griffin, 27, helped make popular the worldwide trend in which people either pledge £60 ($100) to ALS research or record themselves getting drenched by freezing cold water, then post the stunt online and challenge others to do the same.

Griffin jumped into the water from a building on a wharf that was a popular diving spot in Nantucket Island, Massachusetts, early Saturday morning around 2am local time.

Witnesses said Griffin plunged "into the water where he floated to the surface. Griffin then went under water again not resurfacing," the Nantucket Police Department said in a statement.

A nearby lifeguard was called to the scene to retrieve Griffin and emergency responders performed CPR, but he was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Griffin, who worked in finance, had been on the island to raise $100,000 for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis research.

A friend who was diagnosed with the the neurodegenerative disease inspired Griffin to help create the charitable challenge.

The Ice Bucket Challenge has become a global phenomenon with everyone from pop star Justin Bieber to former US president George W Bush and Microsoft founder Bill Gates drenching themselves in icy water.

And its popularity has spread around the globe, particularly to Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Germany.

Facebook said between June 1 and August 17 more than 28 million people mentioned the challenge on the social network, and 2.4 million videos were posted.

As of Thursday, the ALS Association said it had collected £25 million ($41.5 million) in donations from July 29 to August 21 against £1.2 million ($2.1 million) in the same period last year.

Some 30,000 Americans have ALS, which attacks the nervous systems and eventually leaves victims paralysed.
What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.
Last Edit: 21 Aug 2014 22:37 by Annakissd.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

The Ice Bucket Challenge 21 Aug 2014 23:18 #2

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Politicians and other public figures are doing it in Australia also.

Annakissd wrote:
Corey Griffin, 27

I guess he part of club 27 now.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Last Edit: 21 Aug 2014 23:18 by novum.

The Ice Bucket Challenge 21 Aug 2014 23:22 #3

• Annakissd
  • Fresh Member
novum wrote:
Politicians and other public figures are doing it in Australia also.

Annakissd wrote:
Corey Griffin, 27

I guess he part of club 27 now.

I thought that too.

Also thinking about the similarities of ISIS and Ice Us.
Probably a silly thought though.

The Ice Bucket Challenge 21 Aug 2014 23:33 #4

• Mr Cappy
  • Capricornus
I want to see a return of the gallon challenge!
The opprobrium of striving for a future that never comes.

The Ice Bucket Challenge 23 Aug 2014 08:37 #5

• Annakissd
  • Fresh Member
Mr Happy wrote:
I want to see a return of the gallon challenge!

Didn't know what that was so I looked it up.

Ewwww.

Crazy humans :iitm:

The Ice Bucket Challenge 23 Aug 2014 14:20 #6

• chandrakavi
  • Underground Researcher
Some people use the Ice Bucket simply to get popularity, and appear on the media, but are not contributing with money, and no one talks what the disease is about. THANKS Annakissd.
User(s) who Liked this post: Cinta

The Ice Bucket Challenge 24 Aug 2014 10:04 #7

• Annakissd
  • Fresh Member
chandrakavi wrote:
Some people use the Ice Bucket simply to get popularity, and appear on the media, but are not contributing with money, and no one talks what the disease is about. THANKS Annakissd.

I said to my friend that I thought this ice bucket challenge was showing how easy it is to get the masses to follow, she said yeah but it raises awareness.
I wanted to ask her what she had learned, but I think that might have made things slightly awkward.

I saw somebody do this, or should I say "heard" in their front garden yesterday, (round the side of the house), I was getting out of the car at the time.
Middle Aged women being noisy, then a swoosh and a scream, it went quiet after as they all stood there soaking wet and unsure of how to get through their house covered in soggy freezing clothes :dunno:
I just looked, and thought :thumbup: :larf:
Last Edit: 24 Aug 2014 10:05 by Annakissd.
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare