Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: kitchen fire

kitchen fire 01 Jul 2019 03:42 #1

• annabelle
  • Silver Member
Did something dumb a couple days ago, made a big helping of delicious chicken chausseur that was too much sauce for what I was cooking it in and it overflowed a bit down the sides. I have an electric stove and I cleaned up thoroughly around the burners and the stove top but did not clean underneath the burner itself.

Today while making some eggs for breakfast on the same burner, it caught fire underneath where the sauce had dripped. I turned the stove off immediately, which you are supposed to do and took the pan off the burner. I figured this tiny fire would burn itself out but it did not, it quickly grew a bit larger so I had a small fire in my kitchen. I would say in seconds it was going anywhere from 3 to 6 inches high and showed no signs of burning itself out at all.

I knew that you are not to throw water on a stove top fire, but my mind went rather blank as to what you are supposed to do to put it out outside of using a fire extinguisher.

l had bought a kitchen fire extinguisher a few months back and I quickly got it, pulled the loop thingy that holds the ring in, the ring popped itself out, I sprayed the fire extinguisher on the fire and the fire was out instantly.

I have never used a fire extinguisher before but was glad that I had picked this item up at a cost of about $25.00 Canadian currency.

As to what I went blank on, you can try putting a lid on the fire (just not a glass lid) to smother it or put baking soda on the fire, and I had those two items close at hand but for whatever reason the only one thing I thought of was getting the fire extinguisher which worked like a charm.

I am in the habit of cleaning underneath the burners but did not do it after the sauce overflow. It was such a wide cooking pan that I was focusing on where I could see it had dripped, which was on the stove top, not thinking some had made it's way underneath the burner itself, I will not make that mistake again.

Anyways, having learned from my mistake, the repercussions of which could have been quite bad, I thought to post this in case anyone else out there ends up with a stove top fire, whether underneath the burner on an electric stove or a grease fire.

Turn the stove off first thing, if it is small then you can try putting a lid on it as long as it is not a glass lid which can shatter from the heat or you can try putting baking soda on it.

The best thing to have is a kitchen fire extinguisher, if that doesn't work then call the emergency number of course and get the heck out.

The worst thing in the world to do is to throw water on a grease fire.

Last Edit: 01 Jul 2019 03:52 by annabelle.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

kitchen fire 01 Jul 2019 17:28 #2

• MrAnderson
  • Silver Member

Happy Canada Day as well will be interesting how the Turdbow celebrates maybe he will dress up as a Mountie !
Last Edit: 01 Jul 2019 17:29 by MrAnderson.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare