Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Human and Synthetic Hormones Now Contaminate Fresh Produce

Human and Synthetic Hormones Now Contaminate Fresh Produce 11 Mar 2013 19:57 #1

• StarsChildren
Human and Synthetic Hormones Now Contaminate Fresh Produce

Hormones and/or hormone-mimicking chemicals are omnipresent environmental contaminants. Already found in places as varied as our teeth (dental sealant) to our paper products (receipts, money), our meat to our canned foods, new research now indicates that even fresh, whole vegetables and fruits are no longer immune to this growing biological and chemical threat.

A newly released study has found that a variety of substances with hormone-disrupting properties now widely contaminate commercially available fresh vegetables and fruits, in some cases at concentrations exceeding the recommended acceptable daily intake (ADI) for children as recommended by the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA).

Published this month in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, researchers at the Indian River Research and Education Center, University of Florida/IFAS, found the synthetic endocrine-disrupting chemicals bisphenol A (BPA), nonylphenol (NP), and the natural steroidal estrogen 17-β-estradiol, in vegetables and fruits randomly sampled from local markets, using gas chromotagraphy with tandem mass spectrometry.

According to the researchers, the “BPA was detected in all vegetable and fruit samples, ranging from 0.2±0.1 to 9.0±4.9 µg kg-1, indicating significant exposure potential for humans.” Nonylphenol (NP), a chemical in the alkylphenol class mainly used to manufacturer detergents, was detected in pumpkin, sweet potato, citrus, and apple samples. Concentrations of 17-β-estradiol in vegetables and fruits ranged from 1.3±0.4 to 2.2±1.0 µg kg-1 except those in tomato and strawberry.

Notably, the highest concentrations of BPA were found in potatoes, lettuce contained the highest concentration of natural estrogens, and pumpkin the highest concentration of alkylphenols (APs).

How Did These Chemicals End Up In Our Food?
The answer is wastewater and sewage sludge — two things that, as many would be surprised to find, are commonly used to grow our food. While wastewater may contain as much as 95% water, the other 5% remaining is a biological and chemical atrocity. Even the sewage used in this degenerate, albeit highly productive (though unsustainable), form of farming has been renamed and transformed euphemistically into “biosolids,” to make it somehow sound more palatable.

The reuse of wastewater for irrigation of agricultural land is a well established practice that introduces many contaminants into our environment and crops including pharmaceuticals, hormones and personal care products.

Wastewater may contain human sewage, industrial site drainage, toxic waste (e.g. pesticide manufacturing), petroleum waste products or byproducts, for instance.

Other wastewater constituents include:
Pathogens such as bacteria, viruses, parasites
Soluble organic materials such as urea, drugs, pharmaceuticals
Macro-solids such as condoms, needles, diapers, sanitary napkins
Emulsions such as paint, adhesives, hair colorants
Gases such as hydrogen sulfide, methane, carbon dioxide
Animals such as insects, protozoa, small fish

continue reading
I don't like to think before I speak.
I like to be just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, phemohilia

Human and Synthetic Hormones Now Contaminate Fresh Produce 12 Mar 2013 06:51 #2

• phemohilia
  • All Karma points of teh universe are belong to miacat!!
StarsChildren wrote:
How Did These Chemicals End Up In Our Food?
The answer is wastewater and sewage sludge — two things that, as many would be surprised to find, are commonly used to grow our food. While wastewater may contain as much as 95% water, the other 5% remaining is a biological and chemical atrocity.

Even the sewage used in this degenerate, albeit highly productive (though unsustainable), form of farming has been renamed and transformed euphemistically into “biosolids” to make it somehow sound more palatable.

Reminds me of those Japanese scientists that are making synthetic meat out of human feces. Hold on a sec....

̶P̶l̶a̶n̶ ̶v̶i̶s̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶a̶u̶t̶i̶f̶u̶l̶,̶ ̶e̶x̶o̶t̶i̶c̶ ̶J̶a̶p̶a̶n̶

Check!!

StarsChildren wrote:
The reuse of wastewater for irrigation of agricultural land is a well established practice that introduces many contaminants into our environment and crops including pharmaceuticals, hormones and personal care products.

Wastewater may contain human sewage, industrial site drainage, toxic waste (e.g. pesticide manufacturing), petroleum waste products or byproducts, for instance.

Other wastewater constituents include:
Pathogens such as bacteria, viruses, parasites
Soluble organic materials such as urea, drugs, pharmaceuticals
Macro-solids such as condoms, needles, diapers, sanitary napkins
Emulsions such as paint, adhesives, hair colorants
Gases such as hydrogen sulfide, methane, carbon dioxide
Animals such as insects, protozoa, small fish

:scotty:

Please God, just do it, do it now....
"The plastic face forced to portray, all the insides left cold and gray...."
Last Edit: 12 Mar 2013 08:39 by phemohilia.

Human and Synthetic Hormones Now Contaminate Fresh Produce 12 Mar 2013 13:34 #3

• novum
  • Platinum Member
There are clean irrigation areas in places, Australia for one, but it seems 'governments' and corporations are doing all they can to fuck it all up and force people out and to populated areas, cities.

The largest potato and onion growers in the southern hemisphere for example at the moment use relatively clean surface water and also water from a fossil aquifer that is extremely clean. However many of them are struggling at the mo due to cheap imports and/or supermarkets squeezing their balls (mcdonalds for one doesnt buy local potatoes, yet they have the catchphrase 'Australias favourite fries' to somehow make it sound like they are australian potatoes.... they do use local beef and brag about that, and together with the fries catchphrase id say they are in a way trying to give the impression their potatoes are local produce also.)

But yes I have seen 'reclaimed water' as its called here, being increasingly used for vegetable production, glasshouse production etc, particularly on the outskirts of large cities... i never liked the thought of it, and looking at that OP id say it is justified.

I actually live in whats known the largest glasshouse growing region of australia and they have plumbed this treated sewage water all around the area on the northern outskirts of a city of over 1 million, for horticulture. I think there is about 20 thousand megalitres of irrigation water allocated around here, half is groundwater, the other half is treated sewage water, pumped from the main treatment plant for the city.

About 2-3 hours out of the city, in the rural growing regions, there are thousands of megalitres of sustainable clean irrigation water not being used, a combination of food producers gravitating to the cities and wanting that lifestyle, increased freight costs and also low prices payed by the monopoly supermarkets.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
User(s) who Liked this post: phemohilia

Human and Synthetic Hormones Now Contaminate Fresh Produce 12 Mar 2013 17:00 #4

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
phemohilia wrote:
Reminds me of those Japanese scientists that are making synthetic meat out of human feces.

Good God....makes Soylent Green look appetising... :(

Will tesco be listing the source of this synthetic meat on their packaging when they eventually get round to putting it in their value burgers I wonder.... :roll:
The pen is mightier than the sword

Human and Synthetic Hormones Now Contaminate Fresh Produce 13 Mar 2013 02:37 #5

• phemohilia
  • All Karma points of teh universe are belong to miacat!!
diamondgeezer wrote:

Will tesco be listing the source of this synthetic meat on their packaging when they eventually get round to putting it in their value burgers I wonder.... :roll:

I think it may have been a hoax. Here's something I ran across after looking more into it.

www.digitaltrends.com/international/japanese-scientists-creates-meat-out-of-feces/

One of the comments below the article reads:

idiotandroid —630 days Ago

Tell me you all realize this is a joke right? Did you see the "shit burger" sticker on the refrigerator? Or that if you Google "Okayama Laboratory" you only get links to this joke? Or how about the fact that the building in the last scene has Chinese all over it and not Japanese?

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO? Pull your heads out of your asses. Apparently you folks are the ones eating the shit burgers.

And this:

slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2011/06/17/it-is-unspeakable

This is just kinda fucked either way though. To live in a world where this would actually happen AND to also live in a world where this kind of thing could be hoaxed and have so many people believe it due to the worsening conditions on the planet. We've really made a mockery of Life.
"The plastic face forced to portray, all the insides left cold and gray...."
User(s) who Liked this post: StarsChildren

Human and Synthetic Hormones Now Contaminate Fresh Produce 13 Mar 2013 02:54 #6

• StarsChildren
phemohilia wrote:
diamondgeezer wrote:

I think it may have been a hoax. Here's something I ran across after looking more into it.

www.digitaltrends.com/international/japanese-scientists-creates-meat-out-of-feces/

One of the comments below the article reads:

idiotandroid —630 days Ago

Tell me you all realize this is a joke right? Did you see the "shit burger" sticker on the refrigerator? Or that if you Google "Okayama Laboratory" you only get links to this joke? Or how about the fact that the building in the last scene has Chinese all over it and not Japanese?

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO? Pull your heads out of your asses. Apparently you folks are the ones eating the shit burgers.

And this:

slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2011/06/17/it-is-unspeakable

This is just kinda fucked either way though. To live in a world where this would actually happen AND to also live in a world where this kind of thing could be hoaxed and have so many people believe it due to the worsening conditions on the planet. We've really made a mockery of Life.

:umm: they could just be putting out false information too saying it is a joke, that would be something they would do too... never can tell in this world anymore :think:
I don't like to think before I speak.
I like to be just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

Human and Synthetic Hormones Now Contaminate Fresh Produce 13 Mar 2013 07:19 #7

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
That's just it - I wouldn't put it past them.

We already have to eat shit metaphorically on a daily basis, why not take it to the next level eh....
The pen is mightier than the sword
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare