Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Engineered virus

Engineered virus 15 Jun 2013 16:38 #1

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
www.sci-news.com/medicine/article01157-virus-sight.html
Scientists Use New Engineered Virus to Restore Sight

Researchers have engineered a new adeno-associated virus that could greatly expand gene therapy to help restore sight to patients with blinding diseases like retinitis pigmentosa and macular degeneration.

This looks interesting (pun intended heh).

Could they be using 'trained virus's' to attack cancer cells soon perhaps?
The pen is mightier than the sword
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Engineered virus 15 Jun 2013 17:31 #2

• i-baster
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I thought they were wiping us out?

Engineered virus 15 Jun 2013 18:34 #3

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
i-baster wrote:
I thought they were wiping us out?

Technology could change all that. Smallpox has been eradicated for a start, & thank fuck for that.

Maybe these 'engineered' virus's (or is the term virii?) could become our allies rather than our enemies?

Engineered virus 15 Jun 2013 18:50 #4

• i-baster
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Yes my previous comment was tongue in cheek. I do worry about mercury etc in vaccines but for the most part have faith in medical people. I wonder if conspiracy minded people will be wiped out by their distrust of medicine.

Engineered virus 15 Jun 2013 18:58 #5

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
I wonder if conspiracy minded people will be wiped out by their distrust of medicine.

Massive increase in cases of measles here in the UK because parents stopped giving their kids the MMR (mumps measles & rubella) vaccine some years back due to 'issues' with it.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22569279

Engineered virus 18 Jun 2013 17:14 #6

• username
diamondgeezer wrote:
www.sci-news.com/medicine/article01157-virus-sight.html
Scientists Use New Engineered Virus to Restore Sight

Researchers have engineered a new adeno-associated virus that could greatly expand gene therapy to help restore sight to patients with blinding diseases like retinitis pigmentosa and macular degeneration.

This looks interesting (pun intended heh).

Could they be using 'trained virus's' to attack cancer cells soon perhaps?

Yes they will. Only just seen this thread.

It's funny that you should mention smallpox :D . They use the virus that was used in the smallpox vaccine. It works by the virus massively replicating in cancer cells but not in healthy cells restricting the blood flow in the tumours and killing it.

The idea (that restiriction of blood flow was a way as tumours have lots of vessels in them) has been around for years but we're only starting to see the results now
Last Edit: 18 Jun 2013 17:16 by username.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

Engineered virus 18 Jun 2013 18:10 #7

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
My son got the recommended vaccines, all of them. And at age 20 now, he's just fine.

Well apart from being a lazy little git like his dad :D

I don't believe that there is any deliberate agenda to 'poison' us with vaccines, nor that there has ever been.

There is a slight health risk with them yes, but I personally think that the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Engineered virus 18 Jun 2013 18:31 #8

• username
diamondgeezer wrote:
My son got the recommended vaccines, all of them. And at age 20 now, he's just fine.

Well apart from being a lazy little git like his dad :D

I don't believe that there is any deliberate agenda to 'poison' us with vaccines, nor that there has ever been.

There is a slight health risk with them yes, but I personally think that the benefits far outweigh the risks.

I totally agree. I empathise with peoples concern with stuff like the MMR controversy and also that companies primary concern is profit but this bit of science does protect you.

I personally would like to see criminal prosecutions against scientists and pharma if they are found fabricating results rather than just litigation. Unfortunately in the academic sector you progress by how much your work gets noticed and it does cause people to be idiots. With the MMR thing that bloke should have gone to prison however to prove cases we need to bring in non-editable lab books. Some establishments have them.

What gets me when people think there is an agenda is that the opinion that is used to prove the agenda comes from scientists as well, the people you can't trust because they have an agenda :D

edit: Andrew Wakefield (the MMR autism link bloke )was rewarded the pigasus award in 2010 for refusal to face reality
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigasus_Award#Category_5_.E2.80.93_Refusal_to_face_reality

hahahaha
Last Edit: 18 Jun 2013 18:41 by username.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

Engineered virus 18 Jun 2013 19:24 #9

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
I got mumps when I was very young, & I still remember some of it clearly now. Apparently it nearly killed me.

& now measles is killing people (adults mainly, because that disease is worse to get as an adult than as a child), and why? Because parents stopped having their children vaccinated 20 years ago or so, that's why.
User(s) who Liked this post: username

Engineered virus 18 Jun 2013 19:59 #10

• cantata
  • Silver Member
My daughter has had all of her vaccinations and, thankfully, had no ab-reaction to them. It must be awful for the parents and children who do have the ab-reactions; but for most of us the benefit is evident. Society IS more healthy nowadays, we live longer and better. I believe that most medics actually do want to see people better and their lives and health improved, even if the Big Pharma non-medical boys come into the game and concentrate only on the profit. Many such shysters have been exposed by the doctors and scientists working for them.

There are always those along the way who fight against new technology, whether medical or not. It so reminds me of the Olden Days when religion and superstition dominated thinking as to what was "right and wrong" and "allowed or sinful". Sometimes it seems we haven't moved far forward at all in attitude - even though we do live longer and better.

I love the pioneering nanotechnology in medicine.... where the great concern was that it would all be taken over and swamped by the earth destroying grey goo. :D But the plans in this field are fantastic:

www.crnano.org/medical.htm
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, username

Engineered virus 18 Jun 2013 20:38 #11

• username
cantata wrote:
My daughter has had all of her vaccinations and, thankfully, had no ab-reaction to them. It must be awful for the parents and children who do have the ab-reactions; but for most of us the benefit is evident. Society IS more healthy nowadays, we live longer and better. I believe that most medics actually do want to see people better and their lives and health improved, even if the Big Pharma non-medical boys come into the game and concentrate only on the profit. Many such shysters have been exposed by the doctors and scientists working for them.

There are always those along the way who fight against new technology, whether medical or not. It so reminds me of the Olden Days when religion and superstition dominated thinking as to what was "right and wrong" and "allowed or sinful". Sometimes it seems we haven't moved far forward at all in attitude - even though we do live longer and better.

I love the pioneering nanotechnology in medicine.... where the great concern was that it would all be taken over and swamped by the earth destroying grey goo. :D But the plans in this field are fantastic:

www.crnano.org/medical.htm

Even the big pharma profit boys aren't that bad. Well they are, they do some pretty dodgy shit :D but I've worked for one of them before i saw the light and you can't change the fact that they spend a lot of money on nothing 99.99.% of the time. By nothing i mean that they get no return on it. They can have a drug in development for 15 years for it to fail at trials. Some of that is their own fault as they haven't bothered thinking up/investing in ways to pick up a fail earlier in the process.

If they weren't investing the money then we would have to if we wanted the drugs. I'm in no way defending them though as they do some deplorable things which have no excuse.

Plans in future technology are great though aren't they :D ? The only thing that worries me is that whilst organisations like the one in your link exist theirs always a country somewhere willing to give lab space to worrying people and there's nothing we can do to change that.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

Engineered virus 18 Jun 2013 20:56 #12

• cantata
  • Silver Member
My Best Male Friend works for Big Pharma (in Germany) as a Research & Development Scientist - and he really wouldn't put profit above people, nor cover for anyone who did.

When I was new to DIFs, I remember reading their anit-vaccinations threads and, OMG., I felt sick to my stomach. For a while, I really believed I'd "let them poison my child" and that "the terrible damage would show up ahead". It really frightened me and I kicked myself hard and often for the harm I'd done to my only child....

.....and then, after a while, I got the gist of the DIFs and *phew* still believe I've done the very best thing for her.

:)
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
User(s) who Liked this post: username

Engineered virus 18 Jun 2013 21:02 #13

• username
Just to clarify Cantata, the deplorable things i was on about happen after the r&d stage ;)

I empathise with people being distrustful as I said before but the sort of panic you describe ends up killing people and it's terrible. As you now know you did the right thing.

edit: this is the sort of thing i was on about
www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/02/testing-drugs-on-the-developing-world/273329/
Last Edit: 18 Jun 2013 21:09 by username.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare