Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: China cloning on an 'industrial scale'

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 19:25 #1

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
You hear the squeals of the pigs long before reaching a set of long buildings set in rolling hills in southern China.

Feeding time produces a frenzy as the animals strain against the railings around their pens. But this is no ordinary farm.

Run by a fast-growing company called BGI, this facility has become the world's largest centre for the cloning of pigs.

The technology involved is not particularly novel - but what is new is the application of mass production.

The first shed contains 90 animals in two long rows. They look perfectly normal, as one would expect, but each of them is carrying cloned embryos. Many are clones themselves.

This place produces an astonishing 500 cloned pigs a year: China is exploiting science on an industrial scale......

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25576718
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, Mart, Paul Tootall

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 19:26 #2

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
  • Currently researching things they don't want you to know
Hmmm... Pigs are as close to, and complex as humans as you can get.....

Just a thought :scotty:
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 19:27 #3

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Well worth a watch after reading the article......

User(s) who Liked this post: phemohilia, jonb

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 19:35 #4

• Mart
  • Fresh Member
cloning is such a hit and miss practice, biotech firms like to pretend that genetics is well understood and controllable but in reality the vast majority of clones or hybrids have massive genetic deficiencies which explains why eating genetically manipulated food destroys the gut.

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/cloning/cloningrisks/

If you get a chance look for a film called "Genetic Roulette" it goes into great detail about genetic manipulation and the resultant problems.
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 19:44 #5

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Meat from cloned animals need not be labelled, EC says
The EU has decided against restricting or labelling the sale of meat or milk from the offspring of cloned animals

A row broke out last summer when it emerged that meat from the offspring of a cloned cow had been sold unwittingly without a licence being obtained

Meat from the offspring of cloned animals will continue to be sold without labels in Britain after the European Commission refused to end the practice.
Shoppers in the UK have been unknowingly eating meat sourced from the young of animals whose DNA has been altered for the past two years despite calls for it to be clearly labelled.
It is thought that hundreds of dairy cows from cloned parents have already been reared and slaughtered on British farms.
Consumer groups claim more than 80 percent of people are opposed to eating food from clones or their offspring.
The EC yesterday proposed a temporary ban on the cloning of animals for food in the EU but said it will not take measures to restrict meat or milk from cows, sheep or pigs that are the descendants of cloned animals.

More significantly for shoppers, the commission ruled out labelling food from the offspring of cloned animals claiming it would be unenforceable.
“This requires that parentage information for every food producing animal is conveyed through the food production chain,” said the commission.
“This becomes more complicated and therefore costly with every generation between the clone and the animal, reproductive material and the food.
“For official controls, checking the accuracy of statements on labels would require in particular for food from offspring and descendant meticulous investigation into the accompanying documentation.”
Because there are no restrictions on importing semen which has come from a cloned animal, it is likely that tens of thousands of pigs and cows in Europe are offspring of cloned stud animals from America.......

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10525282/Meat-from-cloned-animals-need-not-be-labelled-EC-says.html

What a sickening read!
User(s) who Liked this post: phemohilia, Mart

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 19:50 #6

• Mart
  • Fresh Member
well that does it for me, I've only eaten meat a handful of times over the last year but no more.
going veggie

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 19:52 #7

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
No need to go veggie. I get most of my meat from local organic farmers markets. People need to support these kind of people before all we have is mr tescos tittie muck meat.
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, Hexhammer, jonb, Mart, Worzel

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 20:02 #8

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
This thread has reminded me of the 1978 film The Boys from Brazil.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boys_from_Brazil_(film)

Science fiction becoming science fact?
The pen is mightier than the sword

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 20:05 #9

• Mart
  • Fresh Member
Paul Tootall wrote:
No need to go veggie. I get most of my meat from local organic farmers markets. People need to support these kind of people before all we have is mr tescos tittie muck meat.

The main reason i don't eat meat is coz i'm skint, organic farmers are for a different class
User(s) who Liked this post: Worzel

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 20:12 #10

• Worzel
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Mart wrote:
Paul Tootall wrote:

The main reason i don't eat meat is coz i'm skint, organic farmers are for a different class

Very true Mart -
I used to keep organic chickens, was a bastard to find organic supplementary food for them in the long winters days and what a cost, I just wasn't viable.
Alas tis the scale of factory farming, you can buy a processed chicken in supermarket for half the cost of rearing one yourself even on a moderate scale.
It's not right not by a long way :-(
User(s) who Liked this post: Mart

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 20:15 #11

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
Mart wrote:
Paul Tootall wrote:

Hate to tell you this, but I got it when i was on benefits, the cost isnt that different from supermarket prices when bought from farmers markets.

Just my experience, I was on full DLA and Incapacity benefit when I was skint, so got a bit extra for mobility and care, but I actually found their organic veggies cheaper than normal supermarket ones and the meat was comparable. It was better for me to :)

The expense of it you will find is typically just in supermarkets where they jack up the price. Again, until people break through and go and look they will just see what the media says and have it fixed in their heads...

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 20:17 #12

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
organic farmers are for a different class

Organic produce (meat & veg) is ludicrously more expensive.

And you only know when its organic or not when its 'packaged' as such in a supermarket...buy the loose veg, or the cheaper meat....you are almost certainly getting GM.

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 20:19 #13

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
diamondgeezer wrote:
organic farmers are for a different class

Organic produce (meat & veg) is ludicrously more expensive.

And you only know when its organic or not when its 'packaged' as such in a supermarket...buy the loose veg, or the cheaper meat....you are almost certainly getting GM.

I will tell them they can jack their prices up then hehe, well after I have got my stuff... as they are organic farmers, with certification, and all seem to sell stuff at reasonable prices, and I am not rick by any stretch if the imagination.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, Mart

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 20:28 #14

• Mart
  • Fresh Member
Well i'm confused now :chuckle:
not having a car is another issue with buying from farms, it's a long and expensive multiple bus rides just to get to the nearest farm
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 20:32 #15

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Yep....if you live in a big city, there is little way of knowing if stuff is organic or not (unless it's packaged as such in a supermarket)

No organic farmers markets near where I live.

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 20:37 #16

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
Yes, I guess not having the markets near you would be one way you have never seen them. I live in Cumbria, so have a few near by.

I do agree with the price supermarkets charge on it though, having seen them they charge a lot more than the organic farmers markets do.

Sorry...EDIT: Forgot to give an example, saw organic potatoes for example, 90p/kg on the market, totally affordable really... when you consider that root vegetables are just ground soaking magnets for whatever they spray on the crop, it concentrates it all in its flesh.... in the supermarket I saw them for £2/kg...
Last Edit: 14 Jan 2014 20:39 by Paul Tootall.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, Mart

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 21:09 #17

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Around here (high population asian area) there lots of fresh fruit and veg stalls on the high street, and they are a lot cheaper than the supermarkets, and its usually decent fresh stuff, so I buy from them.

Thing is, its all loose, so you don't really know where its being sourced from really.

There is though at least a better chance that its come from farms not too far away, so is more likely to be organic than tesco's etc loose produce.

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 14 Jan 2014 21:14 #18

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
I know what you mean DG, we have a market in Carlisle, which isn't organic, but sells all loose and during the course of the month the farmers markets moves round the county so to speak, and I know the fruit and veg, as well as the meat, eggs, milk and other stuff on it is organic... and the milk is raw, unpasturised organic, like the goldtop we used to get as kids... and it gorgeous... and i couldn't give a toss its £1 a pint, I will get 4 pints as its frikking brilliant compared to the shit they sell these day... I digress... but the loose prices are almost the same, but the supermarkets are still more.

China cloning on an 'industrial scale' 15 Jan 2014 01:28 #19

• jonb
When I was healthier I had an allotment, from day one I had loads not of cheep veg but free veg grown organically. because many allotment holders often grow more than they need. Also to cut bills drastically start eating to the season.
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare