Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hip Replacement Bike

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 03:55 #1

• rodin
  • Spam Killer
  • BELIEF IS THE ENEMY OF TRUTH
I use a bike route daily that encompasses coast road/path and old railway lines. On 12 Jan it was below 0c. I turned out of railway path onto short pavement section and it was half inch thick black ice. I had no chance, was wearing lycra shorts.
The new hip is settling in OK, still stiff still on moderate painkillers. Got home today. It is an Exeter hip, not titanium, since I am 65. But my mother is 94, and longevity runs in the family.
Should I push for a titanium now, or wait until the present one wears out? My thinking is it takes a year to get back to where you were, and I'd only use one year of my life up with the longer lasting titanium model.
To understand who rules over you look to whom you tube can't criticise

The media isn't there to cover the news
It's there to cover the news up

All establishment lies pass through three stages
First, they are accepted as being self evident
Second, they are exposed by diligent research
Third, they are enforced

"Communism is the bloodiest, most difficult and the most terrible way from capitalism to capitalism" from Under the Sign of the Scorpion by Juri Lina
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 04:52 #2

• I AM ALL I AM
  • Silver Member
rodin wrote:
I use a bike route daily that encompasses coast road/path and old railway lines. On 12 Jan it was below 0c. I turned out of railway path onto short pavement section and it was half inch thick black ice. I had no chance, was wearing lycra shorts.
The new hip is settling in OK, still stiff still on moderate painkillers. Got home today. It is an Exeter hip, not titanium, since I am 65. But my mother is 94, and longevity runs in the family.
Should I push for a titanium now, or wait until the present one wears out? My thinking is it takes a year to get back to where you were, and I'd only use one year of my life up with the longer lasting titanium model.

G'day Rodin.

Ahhh bugger. My condolences mate. If I could change what happened in any way I would.

When I was a child (4 years old) I was diagnosed with Perthes, right hip. By 16 I was informed that the degeneration in the hip was equivalent to an 80 year old. I was warned that if I kept playing sport and doing a lot of the other things I did that I would end up in a wheelchair by the mid 30's. Instead, I broke the back and crushed the central nervous system at 30. I didn't let on to doctors the full extent of what happened (how do you explain a NDE to doctors?) and was diagnosed with ancolising (sp?) spondolytis among other things, and was told that it would be likely that I would be wheelchair bound within 5-10 years and then bedridden soon after.

I state this so you know that I recognise how debilitating a hip condition can be and my heart goes out to you mate. :thumbup:

I would never suggest going down the route of a hip replacement. Everything can be healed. For me it is 18 years now and though I still have chronic physical pain, I am very close to having healed this physicality.

Still, once you have it done, no real chance of going back eh.

I suggest that you do whatever it takes to give your physicality some relief, whether that be a new titanium hip or anything else. The hips and shoulders are the two horizontal planes in the skeletal structure, as above so below, as below so above. Tilt one and the other mirrors the tilt. There is an awesome book, Pain Free, by Peter Egoscue, that explains this all very well and I highly recommend it (there are some youtube videos about the Egoscue method as well).

If you've weighed up the pros and cons and are comfortable with going titanium, then go for it. It is your physicality, your choice. Do what is beneficial for you. :thumbup:

Whatever choice you do make, may it be of benefit for you.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into.

When paired opposites define your beliefs, your beliefs will imprison you.

Flare = Censor & Promoter of Bishop Williamson

truth-zone.net/forum/research-zone-forum-feedback-and-faq/73338-flare-censor-promoter-of-bishop-williamson.html#357334
Last Edit: 22 Jan 2017 04:56 by I AM ALL I AM.

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 06:34 #3

• rodin
  • Spam Killer
I had no choice. My hip is replaced, the Royal Infirmary said the fracture was too bad to attempt a repair and they would not do it. I knew it was gone when my knee didn't sit right. Apparently my left leg was 2" shorter for a time :umm:

Third, they are enforced

"Communism is the bloodiest, most difficult and the most terrible way from capitalism to capitalism" from Under the Sign of the Scorpion by Juri Lina

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 07:18 #4

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Was wondering where you got to mate. My condolences also and may you get back to being as you were asap. I dont know what you went through to have the hip replacement but if the process isnt as bad as the rehabilitation and you can get the ti it might be the way to go. Perhaps try ask others or dig around online for opinions from those whove been through it and had the non ti for a while?
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 10:49 #5

• I AM ALL I AM
  • Silver Member
rodin wrote:
I had no choice. My hip is replaced, the Royal Infirmary said the fracture was too bad to attempt a repair and they would not do it. I knew it was gone when my knee didn't sit right. Apparently my left leg was 2" shorter for a time :umm:

G'day Rodin.

Sometimes it goes that way and it is tough. Two inches is a lot. I've had one and a half inch difference since childhood and can guarantee you that for any extended period of time, two inches would have completely fucked your spine up. In turn, that would have compromised the integrity of the central nervous system and messed with the functionality of the body as a whole.

One thing doctors are good for is putting things back together after a major accident. Not much else really. In fact, I have read online that the treatment they gave me as a child is now considered barbaric. What can yo do eh??? :dunno:

Moringa has 36 different anti inflammatory compounds in it and is something that started using a number of years ago now. It helped me to get more than 2-4 hours sleep a night, which obviously helps with the healing process. This is where I get it from online ...

organicmoringaaustralia.com.au/about-organic-moringa/

There are other benefits and the link gives you the low down on it. :thumbup:
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into.

When paired opposites define your beliefs, your beliefs will imprison you.

Flare = Censor & Promoter of Bishop Williamson

truth-zone.net/forum/research-zone-forum-feedback-and-faq/73338-flare-censor-promoter-of-bishop-williamson.html#357334

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 11:18 #6

• rodin
  • Spam Killer
Two inches was temporary lol tendons pulling in detached leg. Walking wounded now, prog is for 95% recovery or more, prob is I am active and fit and will wear this new hip out IMO. I would not wear out a tit hip. Yep, got research to do.

edit

A lot seems to hinge on how good the surgery was. Time will tell, but right now no unexpected probs. Pain receding per diem, mobility increasing. Apart from protecting the injury, posture appears to be OK.

Third, they are enforced

Last Edit: 22 Jan 2017 11:29 by rodin.
User(s) who Liked this post: I AM ALL I AM

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 12:32 #7

• GMP
  • Silver Member
It's not 'if' we come off our bikes it's 'when'.
Sorry to hear of your prang Rodin and wishing you a speedy , full recovery.
64 here and when pedalling uphill got to be too much I switched to an electric ( pedelec) bike.
Miss the old road bike but never regretted switching cos I can still get out on the bike.
Last Edit: 22 Jan 2017 12:35 by GMP.

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 12:54 #8

Nasty injury that. Get well soon. I used to cycle a fair bit (rode in the masters Mountain bike series), still do a bit, though not on the competitive circuit. I've been hit off the bike a number of times over the years on the road (usually some idiot opening the car door on the road side without looking) never broken anything though. I'm still young enough to bounce when hitting the road. :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 13:22 #9

• rodin
  • Spam Killer
I have a new saying to add to my profile

You Never Know When You're Going To Fall Off Your Bike

except right now profile editing does not seem to be working :ponda:

Third, they are enforced

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 13:23 #10

• rodin
  • Spam Killer
Zorro wrote:
Nasty injury that. Get well soon. I used to cycle a fair bit (rode in the masters Mountain bike series), still do a bit, though not on the competitive circuit. I've been hit off the bike a number of times over the years on the road (usually some idiot opening the car door on the road side without looking) never broken anything though. I'm still young enough to bounce when hitting the road. :P

Black Ice is not road - it's granite hard

Tarmac is no problem

Third, they are enforced

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 13:30 #11

• GMP
  • Silver Member
rodin wrote:
Zorro wrote:

Tarmac is no problem

Tarmac is no problem so long as you don't mind keep buying lycra kit.
Tarmac does tend to shred lycra ( and knees, hips n elbows).
:)
Last Edit: 22 Jan 2017 13:31 by GMP.

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 14:42 #12

• rodin
  • Spam Killer
GMP wrote:

Would rather have lost my shorts. They were fine tho :up:

PS Anyone in Newhaven know what happened to a Scott hybrid, blue, black and mud coloured?

Third, they are enforced

User(s) who Liked this post: GMP

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 15:05 #13

rodin wrote:
GMP wrote:

Would rather have lost my shorts. They were fine tho :up:

PS Anyone in Newhaven know what happened to a Scott hybrid, blue, black and mud coloured?

Sounds like somebody rode off on yer bike mate, rather than decide to help uz. Typical Scot. :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 15:45 #14

• GMP
  • Silver Member
Bastards.
If it aint nailed down some people will nick anything.
Grrrrr

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 16:05 #15

rodin wrote:
Zorro wrote:

Tarmac is no problem

That all depends on how you land, and if some of the fall is cushioned/broken by sliding. I would much rather come off on ice than a grit road if my arse was sliding along the road just wearing a pair of shorts while doing 30 mph. :hahano:
Last Edit: 22 Jan 2017 16:06 by Return of Zorro.

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 16:18 #16

• rodin
  • Spam Killer
GMP wrote:
Bastards.
Grrrrr
Naa.. it was taken into safekeeping. By a local. They just forgot to give me the addy. Oh well, I got it for £40 off Gumtree.
OK what should I treat myself to? NO mountain biking, light trail mostly flat tar

Third, they are enforced

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 16:40 #17

• GMP
  • Silver Member
rodin wrote:
GMP wrote:
Bastards.
Grrrrr
Naa.. it was taken into safekeeping. By a local. They just forgot to give me the addy. Oh well, I got it for £40 off Gumtree.
OK what should I treat myself to? NO mountain biking, light trail mostly flat tar

£240 brand new on Amazon UK.
Pedal assisted.
It's a 'Milano'

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 16:55 #18

• rodin
  • Spam Killer
Naah. I have to burn off 1-2 pints beer per per 25 miles.

Third, they are enforced

Last Edit: 22 Jan 2017 16:55 by rodin.
User(s) who Liked this post: GMP

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 16:58 #19

Road bikes are the thing now. Not keen on the riding position myself though, not great for the lower back either. You want something with a more upright riding position, such as a hybrid. Those racing slicks also slide about easier on a slippery surface. A hybrid with semi-slicks is the way to go for the road imo.

Hip Replacement 22 Jan 2017 22:12 #20

• novum
  • Platinum Member
rodin wrote:
I have a new saying to add to my profile

You Never Know When You're Going To Fall Off Your Bike

except right now profile editing does not seem to be working :ponda:

Load the site in an incognito window and log in like that, ur browser is keeping the old code, there was a code clash a couple weeks ago after an update but its been sorted.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
  • Page:
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare