Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 25 Apr 2019 13:58 #1

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Listen to Robert Whitaker talk about the rationale for the movement and website Mad in America:
Mad in America
Published on Nov 9, 2013

Robert Whitaker talks about the past, present and future of Mad in America, a website dedicated to rethinking the current paradigm of psychiatric care.

www.madinamerica.com

Last Edit: 25 Apr 2019 14:00 by Connect Dots. Reason: Punctuation
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 25 Apr 2019 14:32 #2

• Straight Shooter
Wait for it.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 25 Apr 2019 18:19 #3

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
.......... wrote:
Wait for it.

Thanks a lot for your post.

Please comment on what you think.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 25 Apr 2019 20:00 #4

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Listen to the testimony of a person who knows from experience that we need a new paradigm for psychiatric care:

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 25 Apr 2019 23:42 #5

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Luckily, this lady read Talking Back to Prozac by Peter Breggin, MD:

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 26 Apr 2019 01:42 #6

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
  • Name is Mick, Age 71, right winger, Christian, English
Generally speaking, most atheists are jumpy, uptight and irritable like wagons without springs, jolted by every pebble on the road.
But when doctors "prescribed" religion to their stressed-out patients, they got in hot water with their bosses-

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 26 Apr 2019 08:44 #7

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Ugh wrote:
Generally speaking, most atheists are jumpy, uptight and irritable like wagons without springs, jolted by every pebble on the road.
But when doctors "prescribed" religion to their stressed-out patients, they got in hot water with their bosses-
I think sometimes religion can be part of the problem with mental patients, if fear has been induced by it.

But if the focus is on unconditional love and unity, then it's helpful.

The main thing mental patients need is the time of day from other caring people rather than medication or shock treatments.
User(s) who Liked this post: ..........

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 26 Apr 2019 10:00 #8

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Connect Dots wrote:
. . .the movement and website Mad in America. . .

On this website, there is a section where patients and families of patients tell their personal stories.

The following excerpt is from a piece written by a mother whose son abruptly stopped using recreational drugs, which led to behavior that forcibly put him in the mental health system, that is on toxic psychiatric drugs, under the Mental Health Act.

This lady had to educate herself because she knew the system was failing her son:
My reading began with Toxic Psychiatry, a book which almost literally fell into my hands at the beginning of this awful journey in 1999. A year later I bought a copy of Your Drug May be Your Problem. These books supported my intuitive hunch that psychiatry had a poor idea of how to work with unusual behaviour. (I now have an extensive library, books, articles and online bookmarks and e-documents, all gathered in search of best practices.)

www.madinamerica.com/2019/03/where-can-families-turn-help/

Toxic Psychiatry and Your Drug May be Your Problem are by Dr. Peter Breggin, whose work is the subject of another thread. He is a courageous campaigner for change in the mental health system.

Toxic Psychiatry: Why Therapy, Empathy and Love Must Replace the Drugs, Electroshock, and Biochemical Theories of the "New Psychiatry"

www.amazon.com/Toxic-Psychiatry-Electroshock-Biochemical-Theories/dp/B0044KN0RM

Your Drug May Be Your Problem, Revised Edition: How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Medications

www.amazon.com/Your-Drug-May-Problem-Revised/dp/0738210986

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 26 Apr 2019 11:19 #9

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Connect Dots wrote:
The following excerpt is from a piece written by a mother whose son abruptly stopped using recreational drugs, which led to behavior that forcibly put him in the mental health system, that is on toxic psychiatric drugs, under the Mental Health Act.
Apparently, the setting for that story is New Zealand.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 26 Apr 2019 12:02 #10

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Connect Dots wrote:
This lady had to educate herself because she knew the system was failing her son . . .

In her piece she mentions the work of Dr. Lewis Mehl Madronna.

She says:
Dr. Lewis Mehl Madronna, in his work, describes the extraordinary power of full acceptance of the individual in the context of family, their history and their community.

www.madinamerica.com/2019/03/where-can-families-turn-help/

Here is a video featuring him:
Healthy Tips TV
Published on May 6, 2018

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 26 Apr 2019 14:49 #11

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
Regarding medication, if it's the wrong stuff it can make us feel weird.
Some 25 years ago I went to my doctor and told her I felt tired, sluggish and cold a lot of the time.
"You're depressed" she said.
"No I'm not" I replied.
"Yes you are"
"No I'm not."
"Yes you are, I'll prescribe Prozac anti-depressants for you"

I could see I was getting nowhere with her so I went home and began taking the tablets on the off-chance she was right, but no, they made me feel as if I was in a dreamworld, unsure whether I was awake or asleep, so I stopped taking them and flushed the rest down the lavatory.
Later it turned out that my thyroid was a little underactive, nothing to do with "depression" at all!
User(s) who Liked this post: Connect Dots

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 26 Apr 2019 15:09 #12

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Connect Dots wrote:
Toxic Psychiatry and Your Drug May be Your Problem are by Dr. Peter Breggin, whose work is the subject of another thread. He is a courageous campaigner for change in the mental health system.
Listen to Dr. Breggin talk about "biochemical imbalance," the supposed rationale for doctors telling patients they need to be on psychiatric meds for life:

Last Edit: 26 Apr 2019 15:10 by Connect Dots. Reason: Clarify

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 26 Apr 2019 15:15 #13

• Straight Shooter
Connect Dots wrote:
Ugh wrote:
I think sometimes religion can be part of the problem with mental patients, if fear has been induced by it.

The main thing mental patients need is the time of day from other caring people rather than medication or shock treatments.

This is true and i think alcohol with drugs can cause people to have schizophrenic attacks.

I have seen this personally with friends but i don't have the answers and can't say for certain.
User(s) who Liked this post: Connect Dots

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 27 Apr 2019 08:02 #14

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
Sorry to mention Christianity again as a "comfort" or even a "cure"" for depression, but the truth is it WORKS!..:)
I mean, how many Christians have mental disorders, not many I'd guess.
As the ex-bounty hunter Paul wrote after becoming a Christian-
"I've learnt the secret of being content in every situation" (Philppians 4:12)

That's because it gives us the mindset of being able to place a buffer between us and the material world so that we don't take the world seriously, summed up by Paul again-
"We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal" (2 Cor 4:18 )
Christianity won't make us totally immune to the punches that life throws at us, but it certainly helps us roll with the punches
..:)

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 27 Apr 2019 09:33 #15

• Rocco
  • User is blocked
  • Devil's Advocate
.......... wrote:
Connect Dots wrote:
Ugh wrote:

This is true and i think alcohol with drugs can cause people to have schizophrenic attacks.

I have seen this personally with friends but i don't have the answers and can't say for certain.
Marijuana can cause Psychosis, Schizophrenia, Paranoia, and Leftism
You can't fix stupid

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 27 Apr 2019 10:59 #16

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Ugh wrote:
Sorry to mention Christianity again as a "comfort" or even a "cure"" for depression, but the truth is it WORKS!..:)
Any religion will work if the person finds loving people to talk to that way.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 27 Apr 2019 11:21 #17

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Connect Dots wrote:
Listen to Robert Whitaker talk about the rationale for the movement and website Mad in America. . .

Here is another interview of him, where he talks about the long-term effects of psychiatric meds:
John McDougall
Published on Mar 15, 2013

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 27 Apr 2019 11:47 #18

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
This looks to be a good source:

Description
The Real Truth About Health Conference is dedicated to the talented professionals that tell the truth about health, nutrition, our food systems and our environment. These videos highlight are from past conferences of world renowned experts in their fields.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCp_ShZAUGtFLpYkgcTrayRQ/about
The Real Truth About Health
Published on Sep 11, 2017

Schizophrenics in the United States currently fare worse than patients in the world’s poorest countries. Medical journalist Robert Whitaker argues that modern treatments for the severely mentally ill are just old medicine in new bottles, and that we as a society are deeply deluded about their efficacy. The widespread use of lobotomies in the 1920s and 1930s gave way in the 1950s to electroshock and a wave of new drugs. In what is perhaps Whitaker’s most damning revelation, he examines how drug companies in the 1980s and 1990s skewed their studies to prove that new antipsychotic drugs were more effective than the old, while keeping patients in the dark about dangerous side effects.

Robert Whitaker raises important questions about our obligations to the mad, the meaning of “insanity,” and what we value most about the human mind.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 27 Apr 2019 12:29 #19

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
Ugh wrote:
Connect Dots wrote:
Any religion will work if the person finds loving people to talk to that way.

Any religion will work? Hmm that's debatable..;)
After all, every holy man and prophet and mystic that ever lived are all in their graves, but Jesus is not, spot the difference?
What atheists and nonchristians don't realise is that Christianity is a POWER thing-

"Our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with POWER.."-1 Thess 1:5
"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of POWER"- 2 Tim 1:7
"I am full of POWER, judgement and might by the spirit of the Lord"- Micah 3:8
"The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world...they have divine POWER to demolish strongholds"- 2 Cor 10:4
"Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty POWER" (Ephesians 6:10)
"After Jesus spent the night in prayer, everybody tried to touch him because POWER was coming from him"- Luke 6:12-19
Jesus said - "Someone touched me, I know that POWER has gone out from me." ( Luke 8:46)
"And wherever he went—into villages, towns or countryside—they placed the sick in the marketplaces. They begged him to let them touch even the edge of his cloak, and all who touched it were healed" (Mark 6:56)

And we too can "touch" Jesus by logging onto him to get a 'feelgood power download', just mumbling a few words now and again will get us connected, even if it's just "Jesus remember me", whenever we're feeling tired, lonely, fed up..
It's a "mindmeld thing" where we "make the connection" with Jesus-

"On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you" (John 14:20)

Last Edit: 27 Apr 2019 12:31 by Ugh.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 27 Apr 2019 13:16 #20

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
In my opinion, politics and religion are off-topic for this thread.

So, I'll not respond to those off-topic posts.

Presently I'm reading a good article by Robert Whitaker dated April 18, 2019: The New Yorker Peers into the Psychiatric Abyss… And Loses Its Nerve.

It is about someone by the name of Laura Delano.

He states:
. . . Laura wrote to me in 2010 shortly after my book Anatomy of an Epidemic was published, and after we met at a Cambridge coffee shop, I invited her to write a guest blog on my personal website, madinamerica.com. I’d had this website ever since 2002, when I published my first book on psychiatry and its history, Mad in America. Laura did so, and soon a physician who had read Anatomy of an Epidemic, Mark Foster, was writing a guest blog as well, and from there it was a small step to turning my personal website into a webzine.

Laura was the first person to publish her personal story on our new webzine, and, in addition to writing regularly on Mad in America, she worked for MIA for a number of years and organized our international film festival in 2014. . . .

www.madinamerica.com/2019/04/the-new-yorker-peers-into-the-psychiatric-abyss-loses-its-nerve/
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare