Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 07 May 2019 17:19 #121

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Connect Dots wrote:
(The other categories in the videos section of Mad in America are "Parenting Today: Raising Strong Resilient Kids," "The Pseudoscience of Mental Health," and "Individual Videos."
Here is information about "Parenting Today: Raising Strong Resilient Kids":
Who We Are
Parenting Today is a collaboration between Eric Maisel and Heather Juergensen.

We believe children need a seat at the table in the larger conversation about psychiatric ethics and best practices.

parentingtoday.me/
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 07 May 2019 21:16 #122

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Connect Dots wrote:
(The other categories in the videos section of Mad in America are "Parenting Today: Raising Strong Resilient Kids," "The Pseudoscience of Mental Health," and "Individual Videos."
Here is information about "The Pseudoscience of Mental Health":
Sharna Olfman, Ph.D. highlights the work of researchers and practitioners who embrace a holistic approach, with expertise in the science of epigenetics, the microbiome, early brain development, and planetary health. Each podcast will be accompanied by an article that amplifies the themes and explicates the science.

www.madinamerica.com/videos/

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 08 May 2019 11:27 #123

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Connect Dots wrote:
Additionally, the website has a section to report on initiatives . . .

One of the initiatives is:

Here she is in a TEDx Talk:
TEDx Talks
Published on Dec 10, 2011

Liz Mullinar is the Founder of Heal For Life Foundation. In 2000 she was awarded the inaugural Australian Humanitarian of the Year Award. In 2009 she was honoured with an Achievement Award on Australia Day, as well as being named as NSW Volunteer of the Year. She was a finalist for Australian of the Year in 2010. She has written 2 books to encourage survivors of childhood trauma to begin healing. In her commercial career Liz was Australia's leading casting consultant for over thirty years, casting films such as Picnic at Hanging Rock, Babe and Shine. She was responsible for starting the careers of many of Australia's leading actors. In 1995 she was listed by The Age newspaper as one of the ten most powerful people in Australian television.

www.healforlife.com.au

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 09 May 2019 16:53 #124

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Connect Dots wrote:
One of the initiatives is . . .
Another one is:

Posted on the Western Mass Recovery Learning Community website:

Regarding Afiya Peer Respite House:
Western Mass Recovery Learning Community (RLC)
Published on Jan 29, 2015

www.westernmassrlc.org/afiya

Afiya House opened on August 4th, 2012 in Northampton, Massachusetts. At the time, it was one of only 13 'peer' respites in the country. (That number has now grown to closer to two dozen.) It was and continues to be the only 'peer' respite in Massachusetts.

The house is intended to provide an alternative to hospitalization for individuals who are experiencing emotional and/or mental distress, and who feel they would benefit from staying in a community-based environment that offers peer-to-peer support focused on turning 'crisis' into a learning and growth opportunity.

The house offers individual bedrooms, community spaces (a living room, a finished basement, a meeting room, a kitchen and a sitting room), a variety of supplies (yoga, art, weighted blankets, etc.), and resource information for up to three people at a time. Stays generally range from one to seven nights.

Everyone who works at Afiya (as with the rest of our community) identifies as having 'been there' in some way. Experiences of various team members range from histories of psychiatric hospitalization to trauma to living in residential programs to living without a home to dealing with addiction and so on. No clinical supports are offered, but people who stay at the house have free access to the community where they can keep (or get) connected to clinical supports as desired.

Category
Nonprofits & Activism

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 09 May 2019 20:05 #125

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Connect Dots wrote:
Another one is . . .

And another:
Inner Fire grew out of the personal and professional experience of Beatrice Birch and James Taggart. Beatrice is a leading practitioner of Hauschka Artistic Therapy and has worked throughout the world in treatment facilities and training institutes. She has applied knowledge from 30 years of professional practice in prisons, inner cities, residential facilities and her own private practice. Jim has extensive administrative, marketing and fund-raising experience, having been the Executive Director of Spring Lake Ranch, one of the oldest residential treatment centers in the nation, and provided consulting and planning services to many other similar facilities.

innerfire.us/
Hauschka Artistic Therapy has its roots in the work of Rudolf Steiner and was established by Frau Dr. Margarethe Hauschka (1896-1980).

Here is an interview of Beatrice Birch:
Kelly Brogan MD
Published on Mar 13, 2017

Last Edit: 09 May 2019 20:22 by Connect Dots. Reason: Add

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 14 May 2019 12:01 #126

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
This article is regarding harm done to the unborn by antidepressants:
Exposure to Antidepressants in the Womb Linked to Autism

By Peter Simons
May 14, 2019

Researchers, publishing in Toxicology Research, review the evidence that antidepressant exposure in the womb is linked to autism spectrum disorders (ASD) in humans. Each of the studies they examined determined that there was a correlation between the drug exposure and risk of autism diagnosis. . .

www.madinamerica.com/2019/05/exposure-antidepressants-womb-linked-autism/

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 15 May 2019 13:44 #127

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
This is from an interview of a co-author of a book Mad Science: Psychiatric Coercion, Diagnosis and Drugs, David Cohen, PhD, by Mad in America's Peter Simons:
PS: Could you give an example of how, specifically, a drug might have effects that are called therapeutic and called side effects?

DC: The antipsychotics are a good example; the stimulants too. During an acute crisis, anything that’s going to slow a person down will look to those around a person, and the family or the physician, as if it’s calming them. The person would probably feel them differently, but it would look that way. And they’d say, “there, that’s the therapeutic effect of the drug. Look, it’s quieting them. They’re not voicing their delusion. The drug’s working.”

Then two or three months later, sustaining that effect is turning the person into a vegetable. At that moment we start saying, “oh my God, look, that’s akinesia, that’s parkinsonism.” So the same effect in one situation will be desirable, but over time, that same effect is no longer desirable because the person can’t function. So that’s a simple example which I think is obvious.

The same thing with akathisia, which is that drug-induced hyperactivity and preoccupation with your discomfort, which makes you half the time unable to address anything else going on outside of you. You are completely obsessed with what is happening to you; you’re pacing back and forth; you want to jump out of yourself. That itself, in certain situations, is looked at as if it’s therapeutic. In other words, because the person is unable to do anything else, they’re contained that way. Then, after a little while, when they’re back home, and they’re in that state, everyone is panicking and asking what’s happening to them. This is also the same effect being looked at differently.

This is the notion of the effect either at different times in the process or from different eyes, being defined quite differently though it is the same action of the drug. That illustrates that the effects don’t come packaged in molecules. They are really interpreted according to the needs of the participants in the situation.

The one who has the most power will impose their definition of what is happening. I see that happening with a lot of drugs, especially drugs that have quick effects like stimulants or even benzodiazepines. Benzodiazepines: it’s good when you’re trying to go to sleep, but when you’re getting up in the middle of the night, if you’re losing your balance, then it’s considered an adverse effect. But it’s the same thing happening to you.

www.madinamerica.com/2019/05/mad-science-psychiatric-coercion-therapeutic-state-interview-dr-david-cohen/

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 16 May 2019 17:49 #128

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
  • Name is Mick, Age 71, right winger, Christian, English
The bottom line is that non-Christians are jumpy, irritable and open to all sorts of mental problems, and I'm sure that if they had the sense to become Christians they'd feel a hulluva lot better like ex-bounty hunter Paul said-
"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want" (Philippians 4:12)

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 16 May 2019 17:58 #129

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Ugh wrote:
The bottom line is that non-Christians are jumpy, irritable and open to all sorts of mental problems, and I'm sure that if they had the sense to become Christians they'd feel a hulluva lot better like ex-bounty hunter Paul said-
"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want" (Philippians 4:12)
There are plenty of non-Christians who are stable, happy people.

This thread is about psychiatry and the harm done by psychiatric medication and shock treatments, not Christianity.

STOP!
Last Edit: 16 May 2019 22:10 by Connect Dots. Reason: Add
User(s) who Liked this post: Gaia

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 16 May 2019 18:42 #130

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
Connect Dots wrote:
There are plenty of non-Christians who are stable, happy people.
This thread is about psychiatry and the harm done by psychiatric medication, not Christianity.
STOP!

1- Are you saying that ALL psychiatric meds are harmful? Don't any meds do any good?
2- If you're saying there are useful alternatives that can help people, why are you against Christianity as being one of those alternatives?

Here's a vid of me under my wargaming name 'Poor Old Spike', check out my cool, calm, fearless Christian swagger, it's a pity a lot more people are not like me..:)

Last Edit: 16 May 2019 18:45 by Ugh.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 16 May 2019 19:51 #131

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Ugh wrote:
Are you saying that ALL psychiatric meds are harmful?
Yes.
Don't any meds do any good?
No.

This thread is about psychiatry and how it SHOULD be practiced.

Nothing else.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 16 May 2019 20:35 #132

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
I briefly dated a schizophrenic woman and she said- "I have to take tablets or I get violent", so obviously she felt her meds helped.
What's needed is for research to be done by asking thousands of patients-
"Do meds help you, yes, no or maybe?"

Likewise, people who've been under psychiatrists can be asked- "Has psychiatry helped you?"
Last Edit: 16 May 2019 20:37 by Ugh.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 16 May 2019 22:30 #133

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Ugh wrote:
I briefly dated a schizophrenic woman and she said- "I have to take tablets or I get violent", so obviously she felt her meds helped.
Changing behavior with a drug is treating the symptom and not the cause.

That's what's wrong with mainstream medicine in general, not just psychiatry.
User(s) who Liked this post: peacenik

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 16 May 2019 23:00 #134

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
Connect Dots wrote:
Changing behavior with a drug is treating the symptom and not the cause.
That's what's wrong with mainstream medicine in general, not just psychiatry.

Okay thanks, so should we get rid of all drugs and all psychiatrists?
Last Edit: 16 May 2019 23:01 by Ugh.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 17 May 2019 10:11 #135

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Ugh wrote:
What we need is a new paradigm that focuses on the life story of the person. First and foremost is to listen to the person with empathy.

It is not a quick fix.

But it allows the person to take charge of their own ability to heal.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 17 May 2019 20:15 #136

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
Connect Dots wrote:
Ugh wrote:
What we need is a new paradigm that focuses on the life story of the person. First and foremost is to listen to the person with empathy.
It is not a quick fix.
But it allows the person to take charge of their own ability to heal.

Who exactly would be the "listeners", and what qualifications would they need?
What if their advice (although well-meaning), was bad advice and made the patient worse?

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 17 May 2019 21:57 #137

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Ugh wrote:
Who exactly would be the "listeners", and what qualifications would they need?
What if their advice (although well-meaning), was bad advice and made the patient worse?
The listeners can be psychiatrists who are trained differently. See the post on empathic therapy.

Advice is not what people need.

What they need is deep listening and validation that there's nothing wrong with their brain, they just need to process past traumas.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 17 May 2019 22:14 #138

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
Connect Dots wrote:
The listeners can be psychiatrists who are trained differently. See the post on empathic therapy.
Advice is not what people need.
What they need is deep listening and validation that there's nothing wrong with their brain, they just need to process past traumas.

Hmm.. I'm not a psychiatrist (trained or otherwise), I'm just an ordinary chap but I've been helping people for years in internet forums (below is some of the feedback I get).
The main theme of my advice is that the world is an insane place, so it's the people who run it who are the crazy ones, not the rest of us!
I think my Christian strength rubs off on people and they feel stronger for it..:)
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another" (Bible:Proverbs 7:17)

MonkGirl - "Wow, thank you Mick! That is really comforting...and all I really needed to hear!"
HenryS - "You are brilliant Mick in finding appropriate phrases. Another one of your superb emails to store"
ChildofLight - "So good to read your responses Mick, some are quite witty and made LOL"
Coconut - "Whew! Thanks for sharing Mick"
Sarah4Jesus - "Listen to Mick in Plymouth, he is a great teacher"
Cathie - "Very wise advice Mick, thanks"
Kierri - "That was one of the best explanations I've ever heard! Yay for Mick in Plymouth"
Haimehenmmli - "I LOVE IT MATE!!! I'm going to put it into my files, with some of my other favorites, from you"
Evachrst3 - "Right on, Mick, I couldn't agree more.Thank you for defending the faith so eloquently".
Devilmademedoit2 - "I love this! Thanks, Mick!"
SweetSummer96 - "Wow. That's a cool story Mick."
Vespasian052 - "Wow! Mick,what an awesome tale.."
Beekpr9 - "Amen to all you have said, Mick!"
Saipan1777 - "Spot on Mick bravo"
Duke Tinn - "Thanks again Mick. Great Stuff"
6feetunder- "Mick knows the truth"
Tahella - "Welcome Mick!"
Ainglkiss - "Mick what a wonderful story. You write so well. Keep up the great work"
WOFman - "Welcome Mick!"
Nottonguetied - "I loved those stories from Mick"
Honeybearx - "This was very good reading thank you Mick"
Megan - "Mick, I just wanted to tell you that I loved this story, it was very touching"
Benjoman - "Your one of the only ones from the singles board that I still love Mick"
Sherry Anne - "Mick i love your posts"
Antipas - "Brilliant yet again Mick"
Easynote - "ROFL Mick you are pure class, another of your timeless classics!"
Kermit - "I love Mick. He is so, how shall I say it, RIGHT ON THE MONEY AND FUNNY, TOO"
Kermmiekr - "How uplifting Mick, and so very true"
Chrysalis55- "Just want to say, I love your posts and your messages not only inspire me, sometimes they make me laugh
because you are able to get your point across in such a great way. WAY TO GO waymarker!!!"
Evenflow- I just LOVE this post You have made me smile BIG TIME this morning. Good for you and what a great attitude you have to life xx
Apple Pie - "Really good to see you, Mick. Come on over to 4church, we could do with your input and your humour"
Lillian - "Mick please come back..it's nice having you on the board"
Last Edit: 17 May 2019 22:18 by Ugh.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 17 May 2019 23:43 #139

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Ugh wrote:
The main theme of my advice is that the world is an insane place, so it's the people who run it who are the crazy ones, not the rest of us!
What you're talking about is valuable as support for people who are trying to make this a better world, and get discouraged.

It's important to do that on forums.

But for people who have had traumatic childhoods, they need one-on-one validation in person with a therapist who is empathic.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 18 May 2019 00:11 #140

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
Connect Dots wrote:
But for people who have had traumatic childhoods, they need one-on-one validation in person with a therapist who is empathic.

Depends what the "trauma" is.
My "forum counselling" is heavily laced with Bible doctrine and a good piece of advice that I find helps people is this one-

God said- "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland"
(Isaiah 43:18 )
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare