Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 18 May 2019 00:43 #141

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Ugh wrote:
God said- "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland"
(Isaiah 43:18 )
To the contrary, distressed people need to bring out from their subconsious to the conscious mind the traumas of their past in order to release them.

Quoting the Bible is not empathy for a person's unique life story.

And therapy is not done on a forum.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 18 May 2019 04:35 #142

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
  • Name is Mick, Age 71, right winger, Christian, English
Connect Dots wrote:
..distressed people need to bring out from their subconsious to the conscious mind the traumas of their past in order to release them..

As I mentioned before, it depends on what kind of trauma it is, then we can shoot it down..:)
I get feedback from people in forums (and in private PM's and emails) saying they feel great knowing the Bible backs them up-
"The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world, they have divine power to demolish strongholds and arguments" (Bible:2 Corinthians 10:4/5)

Our keyboards are our weapon..:)

"Praise be to the Lord who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle" (Psalm 144:1)

Last Edit: 18 May 2019 04:59 by Ugh.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 18 May 2019 11:07 #143

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Ugh wrote:
As I mentioned before, it depends on what kind of trauma it is . . .
I don't think you know what trauma is, nor do you care.

I don't think you've read any of the testimony of former patients or watched any of the videos or listened to any of the audio.

I don't think you know what you're talking about for the topic of this thread, nor do you care.

You have tunnel vision.

STOP.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 18 May 2019 21:35 #144

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
Connect Dots wrote:
I don't think you know what trauma is, nor do you care.
I don't think you've read any of the testimony of former patients or watched any of the videos or listened to any of the audio.
I don't think you know what you're talking about for the topic of this thread, nor do you care.
You have tunnel vision.
STOP.

This is an open free speech forum so I'll say what I please if I think it's going to help patients..:)
A lot of "trauma" is self-induced, for example this snowflake generation is being brainwashed by society and the media to think it's normal to have mental problems..:)
For example half the teachers at my old school were paedophiles but we couldn't complain to the headmaster because he was the ringleader, he must have groped the bottom of every boy in the school (including mine) but we just laughed it off and regarded him as an eccentric old perv..:)
But the modern generation is not as tough as mine was and is prone to nervous breakdowns at the drop of a hat.

As regards your video links and stuff, I tell you what I've told other TZ members about their posts and vids and links too, namely that they're sometimes far too long for me (let alone mental patients) to wade through, as I prefer short, sharp punchy posts for greater hitting power
..:)

PS- I've just seen in your profile that you were born in 1945 so that makes you in your 70's like me, no offence but I would have thought you're a young Jesus-rejecting snowflake by the way you talk..;)
Last Edit: 18 May 2019 21:54 by Ugh.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 18 May 2019 22:16 #145

• peacenik
  • Immortal
Connect Dots wrote:
Ugh wrote:
God said- "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland"
(Isaiah 43:18 )
To the contrary, distressed people need to bring out from their subconsious to the conscious mind the traumas of their past in order to release them.
Couldn't agree more!

Is there a technique for doing this?
Birth is not a beginning; death is not an end. There is existence without limitation; there is continuity without a starting point.” ~ Chuang Tzu
User(s) who Liked this post: Connect Dots

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 18 May 2019 22:36 #146

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
peacenik wrote:
Couldn't agree more!

Is there a technique for doing this?
I think that everything depends on the attitude of the therapist. The therapist has to treat the client (a better word than patient) with respect and earn the trust of the client.

There is an organization called the International Center for the Study of Patient-Oriented Psychiatry, which is under the leadership of Dr Peter Breggin, a campaigner for reform of psychiatry, and the subject of another thread.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 18 May 2019 23:11 #147

• peacenik
  • Immortal
Great thread!

Not trying to derail your thread, but I noticed, mindspring.org is very similar to the Church of Scientology (which is a good thing}. Both have techniques for relieving trauma in one's life. So, I looked it up on the internet and found some interesting stuff. Though Mindfreedom admits it's not a part of Scientology it does admit some of it's members are also members of Scientology and it does admit the two are very similar (again, that's a good thing).

"Summary on Mindfreedom and Scientology Mindfreedom claims there is no association with Scientology or CCHR. We do not know how Mindfreedom, Scientology, and the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) are related, or if they are related. We do not know the source of Mindfreedom’s funding. But we hope the preceeding facts and the links we gave to Scientology, CCHR, and Mindfreedom enable readers to independently investigate and draw their own conclusion. However, the answer to the question, may not be that important. To the best we can determine, they have identical views when it comes to mental illness (both believe it doesn’t exist), medications (they harm people), psychiatry (it is an instrument of torture). We fully understand that Scientology is a religion and that religions are entitled to their beliefs. We also understand that Mr. Oaks and members of Mindfreedom are entitled to theirs. Our aim in this article is to help find the truth, not to judge these organizations for their beliefs.

Read more at: mentalillnesspolicy.org/myths/mindfreedom-scientology-oaks-cchr.html

Again, great thread!
Birth is not a beginning; death is not an end. There is existence without limitation; there is continuity without a starting point.” ~ Chuang Tzu
Last Edit: 18 May 2019 23:16 by peacenik.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 19 May 2019 00:07 #148

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
peacenik wrote:
Not trying to derail your thread, but I noticed, mindspring.org. . .
You meant to say "mindfreedom.org"?
peacenik wrote:
Again, great thread!
Thanks a lot. :)

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 19 May 2019 05:52 #149

• Gaia
  • Gold Member
peacenik wrote:
the Church of Scientology (which is a good thing}.

You think going after vulnerable people and tricking them to pay thousands of dollars for some fake "salvation" is a good thing??
The Only Limit is Your Own Imagination
A truth seeker is someone who dares to wade through thick series of toxic smoke screens and tries not to inhale - Gaia
"What do you call 'genius'?" "Well, seeing things others don't see. Or rather the invisible links between things."
- Vladimir Nabokov (1938)
"The silence of conspiracy. Slaughtered on the altar of apathy." - Lords of the New Church (1982)

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 19 May 2019 07:55 #150

• Rocco
  • User is blocked
  • Devil's Advocate
Gaia wrote:
peacenik wrote:

You think going after vulnerable people and tricking them to pay thousands of dollars for some fake "salvation" is a good thing??
Did peacenik seriously say "Scientology is a good thing"?
You can't fix stupid

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 19 May 2019 12:27 #151

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Rocco wrote:
Gaia wrote:
peacenik wrote:

Did peacenik seriously say "Scientology is a good thing"?
Please take this debate to this thread: Is Scientology a Good Thing?
Last Edit: 19 May 2019 12:28 by Connect Dots. Reason: Typo
User(s) who Liked this post: peacenik, Rocco

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 19 May 2019 19:35 #152

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
I've just said in the Scientology thread- "Scientology is just another cult for pathetic Jesus-rejecters", and included an anecdote.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 19 May 2019 20:22 #153

• peacenik
  • Immortal
Connect Dots wrote:
peacenik wrote:
Not trying to derail your thread, but I noticed, mindspring.org. . .
You meant to say "mindfreedom.org"?
peacenik wrote:
Again, great thread!
Thanks a lot. :)

Anyway, I think it's great, there is more than one place that specializes in relieving past trauma w/o being at odds with one another.
User(s) who Liked this post: Connect Dots

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 20 May 2019 11:52 #154

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
There is a therapy called Open Dialogue that began in Finland in the 1980's.

Working with families and social networks, as much as possible in their own homes, Open Dialogue teams help those involved in a crisis situation to be together and to engage in dialogue. It has been their experience that if the family/team can bear the extreme emotion in a crisis situation, and tolerate the uncertainty, in time shared meaning usually emerges and healing is possible.

open-dialogue.net/

What a great idea!

People helping people rather than popping pills to mask symptoms or undergoing shock treatments.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 22 May 2019 00:10 #155

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Sean Blackwell is the author of a book Am I Bipolar or Waking Up?

Reading that book turned out to be life-altering for the author of this personal story:
How I Healed My ‘Bipolar Disorder’

By Moni Kettler
November 13, 2016

. . .After my release from the hospital in December of 2013, my closest friend came across Sean Blackwell’s book Am I Bipolar Or Waking Up? and suggested I read it. This book certainly made it sound as if there was more to ‘Bipolar Disorder’ than it simply being a mental illness caused by a chemical imbalance.

The book was impossible for me to put down—I read it all the way through in one night and went into hypomania right away. I had finally found a plausible explanation for the cause of my breakdown! It seemed that the impact of major life changes had caused a ‘Spiritual Emergency’ which greatly contributed to the mess I was in.

I was so enthused that I went to Sean’s YouTube channel and watched all of his videos. For the first time, I saw light at the end of the tunnel—a hope that I could be med-free and healthy one day.

Since he was looking for translations of his videos, I started translating them into German. Shortly after that, I got in contact with Sean who told me of a healing retreat that he and his wife had created for people diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. Since he would be in Europe soon, it was THE opportunity for me. I wanted to heal, and was desperate to show everyone who doubted I would ever heal that I could beat it! I was convinced that this program was the missing piece of the puzzle for my healing. The therapies that I had tried so far had helped me function better again, but none of them could erase the underlying cause of my ‘disorder,’ which was mainly rooted in childhood trauma.

In November of 2014, I had a private, two-week retreat with Sean Blackwell at a house that I rented in the German countryside. My closest friend from the USA came to help support me through the program. The retreat was life-changing. It mostly involved using spiritual techniques that are known to release trauma, such as Vipassana meditation and Bipolar Breathwork (an offshoot of Dr. Stanislav Grof’s Holotropic Breathwork). Bipolar Breathwork is a form of voluntary over-breathing accompanied by special music, where the person breathes deeply and rapidly to get into a non-ordinary state of consciousness—this allows previously unprocessed subconscious material to become conscious and integrated. Through these techniques I was able to release many of my inner tensions, energy blockages and traumas.

The most significant breakthrough came during the fourth session of the breathwork. After three painful sessions, all of which seemed to bring up more traumatic material, everything came to a climax during one powerful session in which I accessed repressed thoughts and feelings related to my history of child abuse. Horrific memories surfaced that I had buried somewhere deep inside myself decades earlier. Not only were the memories and emotional pain excruciating, the huge release of physical energy was also quite tough to bear. I often found myself quivering as hot and cold sensations took turns surging through my entire body.

But by the next day I already felt much better. I felt as if a weight had lifted inside; I was peaceful and confident and ready to proceed with the work. Everyone with me could see a shiny new glow on my face.

During the following session, I felt that another big change was happening within me. I had my first enlightening experience in which I could feel cosmic oneness as well as a deep reconciliation with my past. I could forgive my abusive father, who had died 19 years earlier, for all the pain he had caused me as a child. It was as if a heavy curtain was drawn back from the window of my soul and I could see my true self in the light for the very first time.

Right after the retreat, I was able to get off my antipsychotic medication without having any side effects, which seemed like a miracle—in previous withdrawal attempts, I had experienced severe side effects with even the slightest change in dosage. With the antipsychotic out of the way, I tapered off the mood stabilizer more slowly, just to be on the safe side. However, in truth, by the end of the retreat I felt that the medication was not needed anymore as all of the tensions and traumas had been washed out of my body. . .

www.madinamerica.com/2016/11/how-i-healed-bipolar-disorder/
Last Edit: 22 May 2019 00:11 by Connect Dots. Reason: Typo

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 23 May 2019 12:01 #156

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
This is disturbing:
Psychotropic Medications Serve as Powerful Tools for U.S. Military, Imperialism

By Tim Beck, PhD
May 23, 2019

. . . Historically, psy-professions like psychiatry and clinical psychology have shared ethically dubious relationships with the U.S. military. This was granted national attention in 2015 with the publication of the Hoffman Report. Here, it was revealed that members of the American Psychological Association (APA) had actively participated in the U.S. government’s “enhanced interrogation,” otherwise referred to as torture, programs at Guantanamo Bay and other overseas military detention centers. . .

www.madinamerica.com/2019/05/psychotropic-drugs-serve-powerful-tools-military/

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 23 May 2019 12:23 #157

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Have you ever heard the word “neurodiversity”?

neurodiversity

A popular term for the sharing of wisdom and knowledge with people from diverse backgrounds.

medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/neurodiverse

This is interesting:

What a refreshing mindset!

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 23 May 2019 14:20 #158

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Listen to this personal testimony:

Lucinda Meyer
Published on Apr 18, 2019

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 23 May 2019 14:48 #159

• Connect Dots
  • Fresh Member
  • 9/11 Truth woke me up.
Connect Dots wrote:
Listen to this personal testimony . . .

In the Comments section of the video I see that the initial bad reaction that Lucinda suffered was to a medicine prescribed for fatigue from a thyroid condition.

Rethinking the Current Paradigm of Psychiatric Care 23 May 2019 17:32 #160

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
Hey Lucinda, if the pills were doing you no good you should have flushed them down the toilet like I did when my quack once put me on Prozac anti-depressants even though I wasn't depressed..:)
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare